Isaac
Years ago

Boti article on Cats-Sixers game

The Adelaide 36ers on Saturday made a stunning but ultimately belated bid to snatch the Nobel Peace Prize from Barack Obama by avoiding any form of conflict in Perth.

The Wildcats opened their NBL clash against Scott Ninnis' conscientious objectors with five different players striking first quarter threes in a whopping 36-19 rampage.
Includes some comments from Ninnis:
"We needed some toughness and I thought we had it," Ninnis said. "But no-one has a better defensive backcourt than Perth.

"(Damian) Martin, Robbins and (Kevin) Lisch are relentless - there's no respite the entire game."

The Wildcats forced 19 Adelaide turnovers in a performance Ninnis said he was hoping would prove just "an aberration".
'Freight train' runs over meek Sixers

Not much time to turn things around with the Tigers here on Wednesday night.

Topic #21324 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

With the Tigers here on Wed night, I'm not sure Scotty will be able to deal out his 'training reprecussions' today.

The 'on court leadership' bit has me worried to be honest. With the vacuum left by Maher and Davidson (and before that Copeland) providing level heads from a guard spot in the clutch, we seem vulnerable to me.

Gilly plays on emotion and can turn a game, but to be honest, Ng seemed like the guy in control down the stretch against Townsville for mine - setting up Ballinger etc.

Hopefully Cortez evolves into a similar role.

Reply #253439 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree with you Loco. One of the unfortunate things that happened through the last five or six years is that the Sixers never found the right young player to groom as Maher's replacement.

You've got to find a guy with the talent to be a top player for the club for a decade and then help him to embrace a leadership role. I don't think Maher was in any way a natural leader when he started with the Sixers, but you could see over time that he worked hard at it and was eventually very successful.

There were guys with the level of talent required - Newley and Ingles for eg, but for whatever reason we failed to sign them. Brad Hill could perhaps have become that player too, but unfortunately he had that terrible arm injury and then we lost him to the Dragons for a bit, so his development has been delayed.

Perhaps in time Hill can take on that role, but I think that it is a bit inevitable that the team will lack leadership and the ability to dig in during tough games in the short-term. You need stability in your team with your core guys playing together for a couple of years to build trust and teamwork before you can expect a consistent response to adversity from your team.

So I can see what you mean about Groves being the experienced Copeland type to guide our younger guys in the short term. Hopefully he can do that, but in the long run, imports tend to come and go, so your core team identity needs to revolve around a local.

Reply #253445 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Something that would've contributed to Maher's leadership was pure talent that other players were able to trust in. But in looking for a replacement, losing players to Europe is now such a reality - outside of imports, which team in the NBL has a young player that could become a future Maher and hang around for a decade? I can't think of one besides maybe Worthington and he won't stay in Australia forever.

Reply #253448 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Stephen Weigh.

Reply #253450 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Adam Gibson could also be that type of player...he is just not there yet.

Reply #253452 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And Adelaide did go for Gibson too.

Reply #253455 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree that losing good players to Europe more often these days is a problem, but it doesn't change the fact that you need talented guys who you can build around long-term and locals are more likely to provide that than imports. The other benefit is that fans are more likely to keep following a team if there are a few guys that stick around who they become familiar with.

Reply #253456 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I think we're being a bit harsh on the team. The result was disappointing being blown out by 30 points in a 40 min game but all teams seem to be struggling on the road at this stage in the season.

NZ started the season 0-2 on the road & had their full roster. Burston is not match fit & Hill was out - key players IMO. IMO I wouldn't read too much into the result at this early stage.

Reply #253458 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NZ have started the season 0-3 on the road.

Perth (last-gasp win in Townsville) and Townsville (beat Gold Coast, and thrashed Melbourne) are the only teams with road wins at this point, unless there's a game I'm forgetting?

Reply #253462 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

If CJ hangs around, he's probably a guy you'd build a franchise around.

Reply #253465 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Didn't get to watch the Rivus-cast of the game on Saturday (thankfully - that could have been painful), but I think the most concerning thing coming out of the reports is the purported bad attitude of Gilchrist. The Wildcats fans on OzHoops appear to be generally in agreement that not only was he well held, but that he spent the whole game complaining to umpires and teammates about it.

Forget the Groves situation, we need Gilchrist to be the man in control in this team, and to keep his head about him.

Reply #253469 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Gilchrist's attitude was always the gamble Scotty was taking. He said as much immediately after the signing. Hopefully he can keep maturing into the on court leader the team needs. If not, it won't take other teams long to stick an antogonising defensive tagger on him and get in his head.

Reply #253474 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

XY that explains how your guys got blown out.
When your court leader loses it and dumps on everyone else, its going to have a major psychological impact on the team.
As Loco says other teams are going to give it to him to put him and subsequently your team off their game.

Perth seem to have the backcourt to do it though. Will be interesting to see how they handle Breakers and Crocs.

Reply #253516 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is a big test for Gilchrist now. The first few weeks were fun, no one knew his game and no one around the league except Wollongong was playing much defence.

Things will change now as the league steps up and he is scouted more - he has the talent no doubtm but we'll see how much more mature he is than in his college days.

Reply #253520 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754