Anon
Years ago

Impact of one team per club in Div 2

How has the new ruling of one team only per club in div 2 affected clubs like sturt etc with kids moving to other clubs. Was out at gawler friday night watching a 16's game and noticed Mavs in 18 boys who played after us had a couple of ex sturt div 1 players. Are their kids being forced to other clubs to play higher grades ?

Topic #21334 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The answer is yes. The problem is that sturt have too many kids in 12/14, so the bubble will always burst.

Reply #253543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this sound like a bad thing tho?
Sure a club loses kids, but more kids are getting an opportunity...

Reply #253547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, the problem is the kids future is rested in the hands of the Div1 coach, and they are not always correct.

Reply #253553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

about time !

Reply #253564 | Report this post

You will find that a few first year players who would normally play div. 2 second team for Sturt, Forestville, North, etc. will be given a chance in a higher team to make sure they stay with the club and players that would normally be on the edge of div. 1/2 will move as a second year to play div. 1 as they get over looked for a spot that they would normally have. This should only last a couple of years though I think, once everyone gets aclimatised to the change it will all work itself out. I don't envy the coaches that have to now only select one div 2 team instead of two.

Reply #253576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I find strange with this is that some clubs are still going out and "recruiting players" to stack their Div 1 team which pushes down players into Div 2 and with only one team I can imagine players at that club will become disenchanted. I wonder how Sturt U12/1 boys will react to their loss to one of these stacked teams. I hope they train hard and prove development beats recruiting!! (and I'm not from either of the two clubs)

Reply #253583 | Report this post

pallas39  
Years ago

#583 - Shock,horror - Sturt were beaten last week in 12/1, so the opposition must have been stacked. Of course, Norwood went out and recruited these kids, did they? Maybe they offered them college scholarships.
By the way, one of the kids who was 'recruited' is Sapwell's kid. How dare they recruit their ABA coaches kid.

Reply #253627 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

It is a good thing.

I think you will find the sturt kid at Mavs has come back from playing footy and would play div 1 at sturt anyway. He carved up. We thought we had a chance - they are real good now with him.

Reply #253638 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Reply #253639 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Reply #253640 | Report this post

Yokle  
Years ago

U18's have 2 teams in div 2 so it doesn't effect these player movements.

What will happen is that in U12's clubs will only bother working on the 2 teams that play div 1 and 2 and over time the div 3 players will only play domestic competition and not get the level of coaching the current div 3 and past div 2 players got.

So they wont improve and therefore wont be good enough to play div 2 at any real level.

Reply #253658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pallas 39 - if you know the team you will realise that there are at least 4 kids which Norwood "attracted" from other clubs. I hope it wasn't the Norwood supporters who were throwing stones at Sturt in the past! and yes I know one is Rupert's son.

Reply #253675 | Report this post

pallas39  
Years ago

If YOU knew the team you would know that Norwood ddn't 'attract' them at all. End of story. But if that doesn't suit your story, then feel free to make up whatever you like.

Reply #253748 | Report this post

mike 35 to 50  
Years ago

Stacking teams Hey! This sound like a comment made as a result of a massive thrashing fri night(under 12 div1, somewhere??)What would be nice is all clubs put more effort into there junior players. Maybe then they wouldn't look to change clubs. I will speak for my son only, when I say he changed clubs so he could become a better player. He loves his new club(flames) and has never been happier. He is finally in a team where everyone deserves to be in div 1. These kids are all freinds from the various clinics they have attended during holidays. Thats why they are playing together. As for how Sturt should feel. they should feel how everybody else feels when they get beaten by a better team. If development beats recruiting, then the boys will have a great year!

Reply #253760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No we won Mike! And you are right - it would be good for all clubs to work hard on their juniors - not on others. I look forward to playing Norwood and count how many played with other clubs last year. I am guessing four or five. Pity abour the four or five that didn't make it through to Div 1 despite the massive "development" programme there

Reply #253785 | Report this post

mike 35 to 50  
Years ago

To Anonymous, sorry about the thrashing assumption. I am not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that if someone changes from one club to another that they are not entitled to a div 1 spot? Surely div 1 teams must be made up from the best players. Are you also saying that players shouldn't change clubs? My son is one of the kids you are talking about and he was unhappy with the club he was playing for. He was told he had options and he explored them. I am sure that the other kids had similar experiences, should they stop playing all together? or continue at another club. As for the kids that missed out, maybe this will inspire them to become greater players, which means everbody wins. If any of the 4 kids you are talking about are not deserving of div 1 spots I am sure they wont keep them. I look forward to playing your club(what ever club that is)but instead of counting players I will be too busy enjoying my son having fun with his basketball again. This is more important than the politics.

Reply #253810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately not all things in life are easy and sometimes you just have to knuckle down and work hard. I was approached in a round about way and asked if my son was interested in moving to an unnamed stronger club. It would have been eay to say yes and perhaps enjoy some short term improved results. In the end he decided to stay with his mates with whom he had played several years. He too went to camps and made friends but he also had team mates. He won't have it easy this year like a couple of other clubs but I think he will come out of it a much better player. He will have to work harder and has a great coach. What I often see in basketball and football are kids jumping from club to club seeking success or should I say the parents of these players. They may be successful, they may not. But turning their backs on even harder work and their team mates is an issue to me. I will obviously keep an eye on my son to make sure he continues to enjoy basketball but I think the decision we have taken will teach him greater long term life skills.

I am sure your situation is different as I have a fair idea where you have come from. Good luck to your son!

Reply #253834 | Report this post

mike 35 to 50  
Years ago

I know this is a little of the original topic, but I feel as though I need to repond to a couple of the comments you have raised. As for knuckling down and doing the hard yards I think my son has more achieved this. I think his first season he spent all his time getting thrashed by massive amounts. He hasn't been asked to move to a stronger club, it was his decision. All his team mates moved up an age group this year and the few that didn't either stopped or changed clubs. I hope he can stay at his now current club for the rest of his basketball life.He has it harder this year than ever before, he is not only trying to play his best ball, but is also competing for his spot in amongst a great group of kids. He is not seeking success, he is seeking enjoyment in an environment that is both hard and fair. Sometimes things are not always what they seem! I wish your son the best and no doubt we will see him on the court.

Reply #253990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Mike, and often some parents only want to see one side - their child is not the fault but it is the coach or the club or their team-mates. They keep running away seeking an easy fix rather than play hard and train harder. (not saying this in your case but elsewhere). All I say is don't believe everything you hear!!

Well I hope we will see you - I just need to keep working on my son to not throw in the towel. He was looking forward to his old team getting back together but that won't happen. He is still training hard but I sense the enjoyment is going as his mates have moved on and he can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Reply #254008 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I thought this thread was about BSA's decision to limit Div 2?

Obviously, someone's little Johnnie lost on Friday night...boo hoo!

The juniors posts on this forum are a classic. Why is it that most posters on this forum when they talk about juniors are anons?

Reply #254012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the feck is Jack toft??????????????? anon perhaps!

Reply #254014 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ah, abused by an Anon! I think I'll slash my wrists

Thank you fool, you have proved my point

Reply #254027 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The only kids I know that this effected decided to play footy and cricket now instead. Loss of 3 players to basketball. AFL & Crickets gain.

Reply #254030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless your name is actually Jack Toft then your no better then an Anon.

Pot using your own name if you think your superior.

Reply #254124 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Sometimes you have to wonder whether kids change clubs for their own benefit, or the ego of their parents?

Reply #254195 | Report this post

maude  
Years ago

the decision to have only 1 div 2 team means that the div 2s can now all be played on friday night - this means we don't lose these kids to sat morning sport.

It also means that the div 2 2nd team kids will go to other clubs, hopefully strengthening the competition as a whole and eliminating the thrashings. Practice at close games at district level means that the kids are smarter won't make silly mistakes in the last few minutes of tight games at national champs etc

Reply #254807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It also means that the div 2 2nd team kids will go to other clubs"

Does it?

Reply #254809 | Report this post

Like it.  
Years ago

Maude,

By bringing it in slowly, there will not be a need for second div 2 team kids to move.

Essentially, clubs will not need to develop 2nd div 2 kids as they will never by 2nd div 2 kids. They will start and stay div 3 kids on saturday. Those players will develop a saturday culture and organise something else to do fridays. Like another sport.

Eventually these kids will be domestic players who play in a low cost local competition, and will be relutant to travel across town for a higher costs, higer travel competition where the coaching isn't much better that their own parent doing the team.

As such clubs like your who do not develop their own kids, will continue to lose their best players to clus who develop, but not gain other div 2 2nd team players.

And the competition will continue to increase in gap, rather than decrease.

Reply #254811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are insufficient coaches to have div 2/2 teams and a general shortage of good coaches fullstop. Kids who want to succeed will move, those who don't will drift further down the divisions.
Where do we send flowers for Jack Toft , recently demised (suicide if above be true)?

Reply #254818 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Still here 818, after being savaged by the cutting remarks of an anon, I received deep lacerations and bled profusely.

Needless to say, I staggered after receiving several pints of the red stuff.

Your can send flowers to the canteen in the south west corner of the Dome - you'll see me there at half time lining up for my cornetto. If you haven't worked out who I am yet, look for me in my Suxers polo shirt and jandels

Reply #254841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754