Anonymous
Years ago

36ers PA announcer - HORRIBLE

I'll get straight to the point. He annoying, loud irritating and goofy. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this due to people around me at games making similar comments. What happened to the other guy? He was fine. In fact he was rather good. Anyway even if he cant get him back we NEED to get someone else, and soon.

Topic #21364 | Report this topic

ShaneD  
Years ago

.. i think we have greater worries at the moment!!

Reply #253927 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

bonz was the guy and bonz rocks - he is marketing guy now but come bonz sure you can juggle as well as sing
bring back bonz please
bring back bonz

Reply #253928 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I want him to yell DE-FENCE louder and for longer ... I love wincing cos of ear piercing shrieks. Word to the wise - say it twice and then let the crowd take over.

Also - I know skip is a poster here and I have been a long time bagger of the music ... but I think this year he has been doing a good job.

I don't know if he has been doing this all year or I just happened to notice it last night but I think he played tracks for too long ... maybe 6 - 8 possessions ... I thought that Moscow song went on way too long in a pivotal moment in the game when we sucked and Melbourne were getting on a run. That is the time that we need the crowd to really get behind the boys but they couldn't cos any cheering would have been drowned out by the music.

Hopefully not too much of a bag - hopefully seen as constructive criticism.

Reply #253931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also what happened to the bald guy who would stand on the court and do the announcements in timeouts and half time/quarter time breaks? He's also been replaced by a goofball.

Reply #253936 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

SVD - Agreed, I played too long.

Reply #253941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The old guy was better, but this guy is okay

Reply #253942 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can find out who's who on game nights here.

The courtside announcer has improved from last season (given it's his second year in the job) and I like him.

The MC (roving announcer) is in his first season and I don't mind him and think he's doing fine - certainly not enough to call either announcer "HORRIBLE".

Team loses and the same person starts three new complaint threads?

Reply #253948 | Report this post

MadeInThe'Laide  
Years ago

Hating for the sake of hating.

I like the new announcer, and as with anything, should improve over time.

Im just glad I havent heard "Thankgod Im a country boy" this season :)

Reply #253949 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

SVD - Have to agree. If the announcer want's to get the crowd involved then he only needs to call out DE-FENCE two or three times and then let the crowd take over. If he can't get the crowd involved after 2-3 calls over the microphone then the crowd doesn't want to be involved. I seem to recall that we also used to have the crowd yelling, LETS GO SIXERS LETS GO, (particularly on offence) but that sees to have disappeared - this is the type of chant that the announcer needs to get going.

Reply #253955 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I think court announcer doing ok.
Last night would have been hard to get it all going with poor crowd and after half time espec. in last we were all sitting there stunned and knowing that style and way playing we were not going to pull off the win.
The roving announcer is pretty ordinary though no impact or charisma at all.
Murray seems to be doing a bit more this year though

Reply #253957 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

I dont really have a problem with either of them, but I reckon the speakers might - mega distortion/clipping last night. Turn the gain down a bit skip - that red peak light would have just about burnt out last night this was most notable on the roaming announcer dude

Reply #253982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Court announcer is absolute rubbish

Reply #253988 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

actually murray s doung great job - was rather lame last year but murray a winner at the moment

Reply #253992 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Not an easy job and certainly one to grow into .

Reply #253995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Team loses and the same person starts three new complaint threads?"

The other two threads were simply posing questions and were in no way complaints. Also, it has nothing to do with the Sixers losing at all

Reply #253997 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Is Brad Davidson Murray Magpie?

Reply #254002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Announcer terrible as opposed to 36ers soft, something wrong with the priority isn't there?

Reply #254004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. the 36ers are soft. does that mean we cant discuss anything else on here? No.

Reply #254007 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Definition of Soft - Getting on hoops and trashing everything and then signing as Anonymous

Reply #254023 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I think it is a bit harsh to say that this roving MC is horrible. However, I don't think the choice of person is great. I would like to see the following for this position.
1. late 20's early 30's
2. Male
3. Tall, slim and good looking - someone that the crowd can all enjoying looking at.
4. I don't want to see this person wearing the standard black slacks and club polo. Every man and his dog are wearing that already. There is no shortage of "corporate branding" around the dome on game nights. The roving MC should be sharply dressed. Good jeans, black shoes, suit jacket with open collared shirt.

If someone suitable can be found, I think this would be a great addition to game night.

Easier said then done I feel...

Reply #254025 | Report this post

ninjafan  
Years ago

with only 3900 at the game and a quiet, stunned crowd... im sure ur all being a little harsh. wait til the dome is at least 3/4 the way full on a hot saturday night. then u wont be complaining one bit im sure. just to remind everyone... there r TWO announcers. and i think they do fine. and im sure they read the comments on here, so unless u can muster up the courage to take on a job like theirs... id zip it, buy ur tickets... and SUPPORT THE BOYS!! 31st of Oct... C'MON SIXERS!!

Reply #254033 | Report this post

ninjafan  
Years ago

btw SVD... when u wrote "I want him to yell DE-FENCE louder and for longer ... I love wincing cos of ear piercing shrieks. Word to the wise - say it twice and then let the crowd take over."

did u mean to contradict urself? or was it sarcasm?...

Reply #254034 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He was being sarcastic.

Liked Neil before, but think Allan has been good this year. Save "rubbish" and "HORRIBLE" for actual wankers maybe? It's like seeing a bad show and deciding to rip into the ushers because they didn't announce interval well enough. Send your feedback to the club and try to keep it a bit fairer than "HORRIBLE".

Blue Collar, are you saying that either of us should be out there with a mic? Haha.

That depends on the look they're going for - everyman vs slick entertainer.

Reply #254052 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And to the original anon behind this post, try two things next time:

- email your feedback about the announcer to the club; realise what you might think is "HORRIBLE" is something that someone else likes
- start a thread asking for opinions and share yours, but try something less ridiculous than busting out CAPS for "horrible" like the guy is mispronouncing every player's name (he's not), showing up drunk (he's not), and swearing throughout (he's not). If you're struggling for choice of words, try thesaurus.com.

Reply #254054 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

sarcasm Ninjafan

Hey Isaac ... suggestion for the forum ... write a post - highlight a section - hit the sarcasm button and it puts it in a different font or colour

Example:

SVD is a jumpshooter ... much better that thedoctor

the doctor is a great jumpshooter ... much better than SVD.

The bold of course being the sarcastic comment

Reply #254061 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

*than

Reply #254062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He sounds like a circus ringmaster.

I half expected him to say "and coming onto the court is Brad Hill, accompanied by the Amazing high-flying Cortez Groves direct from the USAAAA..."

Reply #254085 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depending on which announcer we're talking about (courtside or MC) that could be appropriate as the MC has come from doing the main arena at the Adelaide Show. I think the courtside guy (Allan) came up doing the Southern Tigers announcing. That change (from Neil) was made pre-SOS and I think that reverting would be a massive show of no confidence in Allan.

FWIW, there were some who didn't love Neil either (or Bonz for that matter) - can't please everyone. You could probably put on a Pistons intro here with flames, the awesome intros and the Sheed huddle and get complaints about the smoke from the pyro, the "silly intros that hardly even rhyme", and "what's that dance?!", etc.

Reply #254086 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

and whats the point of those Navy Seals guys??

They are rubbish!

Reply #254106 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

WERE - where are those seals now? Some look like they have been in a good paddock for a few seasons.....

Reply #254116 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like the argument in the other thread discrediting the hollywood seats because Melbourne already used the same idea and so has the NBA. No shit. All the media bits talking about the hollywood seats specifically cite the Lakers as the inspiration for them. The Navy Seals idea obviously came from NBA teams too.

Can just imagine these sorts of people talking to Naismith in the early days of basketball: "but sport X already uses a round ball! You just got that idea from them."

Reply #254117 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol Isaac....
"And a peach basket, wtf? Where will we put the peaches?? This sport will never work!"

Reply #254123 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Gold DB5

Reply #254127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, based on those that have bothered to fill in the survey in the members/fans area give this data:

Roving MC: 65% said he did a great job or was OK. 11% said they weren't a fan. Rest split between "early nerves, will improve" and "didn't attend game".

Courtside Announcer (not as many responses so far): 70% were positive, 30% thought he was average or needed to improve.

Reply #254129 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754