Loco
Years ago

NBL Contract Terminations

What is typically involved in terminating a player's contract?

I realise it's contract specific (dependant on the individual terms and conditions a player signs up to), but I'm curious as to what actually happens when a squad replaces an import for example.

Are there performance based out clauses? Do clubs need to pay out the entire contract term's salary to the outgoing player?

Topic #21373 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

I would think the club would need to pay out the player but that would just be a guess.

I think it would be hard to quantify a performance based contract. The player could just inflate their stats so they can continue to be in the team. Or if it's based on the success of the team and they are getting bad stats they can say the team is winning so the contract should continue.

It's an interesting topic though

Reply #254091 | Report this post

Draftexpress  
Years ago

I don't think u can get away with not paying someone just because their stats are down. Think it would be more of off court actions or behaviors.

Reply #254095 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Yeah, I figured performance based contracts wouldn't exist in the NBL. Only thought of it's come up in F1 lately with Piquet etc.

With Julius we wound up paying him up to and including his last game, from what I understand.

So, theoretically, if the Sixers decide to move an import on now, are they required to pay out a full season's salary or just games to date?

Reply #254103 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

* 'thought if it as it's come up'

Reply #254104 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I believe that any pay outs do not count towards the salary cap, if that is any help. Otherwise, a punk import who causes issues away form the court (Tashad Rucker) would be effectively ending his teams seasons when he gets sacked for the third time with three different clubs.

Reply #254108 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Payouts wouldn't count against the cap. I'd say that imports getting cut based on performance wouldn't necessarily get paid in full unless the contract specified it (e.g., Tyndale, I guess).

Reply #254114 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

I can't imagine too many new imports coming accross would make the move for a non guaranteed contract, unless there is no one else interested

Reply #254126 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Draftexpress, I reckon you could withhold pay if a players stats are significantly down, providing it is in the contract. But I'm guessing it would probably be difficult to get imports to sign tough performance clauses to come to the NBL.

Reply #254131 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Obviously it depends on the individual contract, but very few contracts would have guaranteed full payment regardless of performance. I imagine they would have milestone payments (ie: minimum 2 months payment,once past 2 months minimum 3 months etc). It is part of the risk that imports take, and the plus side for them is that once vut they can often pick up another job elsewhere reasonably quickly (although tougher this year with less imports in Europe).

Reply #254134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I forgot about Tyndale's no cut clause, genius that.

Reply #254173 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754