LC
Years ago

Rondo in contract extension talks with Celtics

In what will surely warm the cockles of Beantown's heart, the Celtics have comnmenced negotiations with Rondo's manager in the hope of securing a contract extension before the October 31 deadline.

NBA: http://linky.com.au/meid4

If Rondo doesn't sign by Oct. 31, he would become a restricted free agent next summer. The Celtics would still have the right ot match any offer for him, but would run the risk of exposing Rondo when several teams have cleared or are planning to clear huge amounts of money under the salary cap to go after next summer's huge free agent class.

Topic #21415 | Report this topic

30 Rock  
Years ago

Cockles or whatever...If I was Rondo I would say no go, there's too much money next year. This year he will have huge numbers and will be an All Star on a veteran team.

Reply #254677 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

All depends on what Rondo is after I guess...

Reply #254679 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Definitely a smart move by Boston to go after him early.

It's kind of risky for Rondo though, since if he signs long term and Boston lose 1 of the big 3 (or more), they could drop their spot in the East fairly quickly and he could be stuck with a long contract on a non-contending team.

Reply #254696 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LC, can't say if my cockles are warmed or not! Never really worked out exactly what they are!

This does depend on what kind of person Rondo is. If it was me, I would happily sign on the dotted line for five years $60 mill, rather than risk an injury in order to possibly snaffle an extra $20 mill next off-season.

But that's me. From what I have seen of him, Rondo is a guy who takes risks and goes for broke, so I could see him backing himself to earn the big bucks next season.

I think the main thing is to get a fair market offer on the table now, so that even if Rondo doesn't sign, he won't play out this season somehow thinking he isn't valued, or is being 'disrespected' as so many NBA athletes like to claim when a team shaves a couple of mill off a $10 mill contract!

I'd like to see Rondo signed long term to the Celtics, but I think what is more important is that Ainge has maximum flexibility to re-shape the team next off-season, depending on how the team performs this season.

Reply #254705 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That's a very open and frank assessment coming from a big Celtics fan Beantown...

Reply #254736 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks LC, I love the Celtics, but I try to be objective about things.

Do you support one NBA team, or do you follow different teams and players year by year?

Reply #254742 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well that was quick!

Rondo's agent has said he is worth as much as one of the top five PG's and that Ainge disagreed. So Rondo will be testing restricted free agency next Summer.

Hope it drives him to improve the flaws in his game and help Boston to a championship this season. He does seem to thrive on pressure, so I think he will have a good year.

http://linky.com.au/lwzuk

Reply #254761 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That was bloody quick!

I really do not follow any team specifically. I just like watching the game...same in the NBL - I don't follow any one team anymore. I used to follow the North Melbourne Giants until they folded/merged...after that I just couldn't do it any more. I have always had a spot for the Knicks and Spurs in the NBA though...but also loved following the Bulls, Lakers and Celtics.

Reply #254771 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Glen "Big Baby" Davis is now out for 8 weeks with an injury.

Boston Celtics forward Glen Davis told Yahoo! Sports that he will miss six to eight weeks with a broken thumb suffered when tried to fend off a friend who had punched him.

ESPN: http://linky.com.au/e0kje

Reply #254776 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, not an auspicious start for Baby either. The Celts need him playing well all season to keep KG's and Wallace's minutes down. He joins Scal, Tony Allen and Walker on Boston's injury list. I hope these injuries aren't catching!

Reply #254783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:46 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754