Camel 31
Years ago

Why is a player called a 'point' guard?

Is it because the one is a general,sets up,directs and maybe points. Is/was there something more specfic to that name. ?

Topic #21422 | Report this topic

surmdog  
Years ago

issac delete this thread asap it could get out of hand

Reply #254743 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Stephon Marbury will tell you its because if you play the 1 you should shoot, shoot and shoot again to get ur points ;)

Reply #254748 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I remember this coach once said to his PG "you are the first line of defense"

Reply #254750 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That could be the answer - LA Boy.

Reply #254753 | Report this post

matt jam  
Years ago

hey guys!

does anyone know of any free programs/sites that allow you to create playbooks- or draw up plays electronically. I want to put together my playbook and give a copy to all the players, thought drawing it woulnd't look as good.

Thanks

Reply #254755 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'd equate it to the 'point man' for a military unit. He's basically the scout. The guy who is out front to make first contact with the enemy and to obtain as much intelligence on them as possible.

LOL at the guy on the radio tonight who was trying to explain why they're called a point guard and just explained what they do instead! That was painful! Felt like beating my head against a brick wall.

Reply #254758 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sorry Matt, wish I did, would be quite a useful tool!

Reply #254760 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Would think beantown is correct. It's the most logical concept.

Reply #254764 | Report this post

matt jam  
Years ago

beantown, a kind anon poster gave this link (i didn't realise but i mistakenyl put my post into this topic, but then i correctly started a separate topic)

http://www.jes-basketball.com/

free trial for 30 days- looks awse!

Reply #254766 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

Good question as to what came first. here is one theory

The final end of any land promontory projecting into a body of water tends to be called a "point" .Thus ships/boats would refer to "rounding the point" in order to cross from one shore bay to another. Similarly when swinging the basketball ball from one side of the 1/2 court to the other, the ball is seen to change sides once it passes "over the top" of the keyway circle and is passed down/out to the other side.

So it would be seen as fairly natural to call the location on the court that was about 1/2 metre further out from the centre top of the keyway as "the point" .

So then giving that "point" name to the player who tends to go there would seem logical. As they are then the player that becomes the intermediary passer / receiver to swing the ball from one side of the court to the other by the offence, between the 2 wing or "45" players.

but - hey who really knows ?

Reply #254767 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

Beantown.

Does that mean he has the "hundred-yard-stare" as well???

Reply #254768 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just to point something out, usually the point guards do a lot of pointing and giving out instructions.

Just making a point.

Reply #254772 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I always assumed it was the military origin - "taking point", "point man", etc.

Reply #254777 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was a question on sixers regular radio show.

Reply #254778 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I thought it was the military term as well.

First point of attack, the point man.

Reply #254791 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_guard

Reply #254793 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I agree with DB5.

It is where the offence is initiated.

Hence the explanation why you can have a Point Forward.

Reply #254800 | Report this post

kmtw  
Years ago

Its becuase originally he pointed frustratedly at the bigs to go where they should go

Reply #254855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it is because most point guards are smaller and smaller people have pointy little heads.

Reply #254874 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:36 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754