Beantown
Years ago

Cavs fans how you feelin?

I predict...

....after watching todays Celtics-Cavs game, that the Cavs will once again put up a lot of regular season victories, but will struggle to knock off the Celtics (and other playoff teams) that have mobile bigs who can shoot.

As suspected, Shaq might give them another option offensively, but he is not going to fix their glaring weakness against high picks, which Orlando destroyed them with last season.

If I were Danny Ferry, I would be scouring the league for a good, mobile big man who I can acquire for the expiring corpse (and contract) that was Big Z!

Any Cavs fans worried by today's performance?

Topic #21434 | Report this topic

LA Boy  
Years ago

I'm not a Cav fan but I think they are better with Shaq. I know he's slow but his strength and size is quite impressive. Even today there's nobody who can match up with him.

Watch you need in the playoff? SIZE. Shaq and LBJ team can make far. I think Cavs are built for deep playoff run AND for regular season.

You'll expect them to play Z more minutes in-season (so just like last season) and Shaq to peak in the playoffs where much size and strength is required.

I like Cav's chances. Think it was Charles saying if you don't double Shaq and he'll only get 20/gm, is that really a bad thing? get serious.

You may also notice an improve jump shot by LBJ that make it hard for defenders down low against Shaq, especially with LBJ's passing ability.

Reply #254865 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I wouldn't be too worried if I was the Cav's. First game of the season. Game could have probably gone either way. Even if they got spanked in the first game it wouldn't mean much. It's way too early days to work out how the season will pan out.

Reply #254866 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Too early to start counting chickens Beantown. You need to calm down a bit, after all it was just the first of an 82-game regular season.

Reply #254879 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just stirring a bit guys! I agree that there is a lot of water to pass under the bridge before this season is decided. BUT, I stand by my point that KG, and Wallace in particular, were able to exploit the immobile defence of the Cavs centres and that has to be of concern to the coaching staff.

LA Boy, I don't disagree that Shaq is useful offensively, what I am saying is that he will be a liability against the top teams. In Boston's case, we don't have to double Shaq EVER because Perkins has the size to keep him away from the basket. He only got one dunk yesterday and was ineffective after the first quarter.

I do agree with you about Lebron's shooting. He has improved it and he was the most dominant player on the court again yesterday. His team mates have got a lot of work to do at this stage, because they don't look like a cohesive unit yet.

Reply #254887 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I predict they will win less games than last season, even if Shaq stays healthy for the majority of the season.

Reply #254891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how the going today as well against the raps!

Reply #254903 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting times ahead Cav's fans...still early on but not looking good.

Reply #254904 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

you saying Perkins can guard Shaq? you're tripping. Other than Yao Ming, nobody has really played effectively against Shaq. I was only having the conversation with one of my friends in US about it. Even today there's nobody who can body up with him.

Plus, Shaq never plays best ball near the start of season. He's one impressive speciemen, I've never seen somebody like that before. Also, Boston did double Shaq on numerous occasions yesterday. Especially when he was getting it going early.

Reply #254911 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's gonna be looooonnnnnggggggg season for the Bobcats. 59 points in a game is shite...

I hope Derrick Flavors or John Wall likes Charlotte

Reply #254917 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I watched Perkins do it yesterday. Apart from the first quarter where Perk let Shaq get a couple of easy looks, he was limited to awkward hook shots all game.

And Perk did guard Shaq single coverage 90% of the time. The few instances where help came, it was because the opportunity presented itself NOT because the Celtics had a plan to double. The commentators even pointed it out on several occasions.

Reply #254918 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agreed TR, they were awful today. I thought I'd watch because Boston and Charlotte have generally played really close games the last couple of years, but the Cats had no goto options.

I get the feeling that Cats ownership will be happy to just survive this season financially and rebuild around one of the top picks next year.

Wonder how Felton is feeling after KG sat on his head?!?!

Reply #254919 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Didn't see the game, but interesting to see the Raptors three mobile big men clean up the Cavs today to the tune of 61 points on 20-39 shots, 3-7 threes! I reckon that might reinforce my point.

Reply #254921 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

How did Felton feel.... 15 stitches in the mouth later I'm sure he felt good....

59 freaking points.... I'm gonna die this season...

Reply #254925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously not a good start for the Cavs but the guy saying Perkins can guard Shaq has rocks in his head or is a massive Celtics homer. Shaq didn't get that much of the ball after quarter time yesterday and it seems the Cavs prefer him setting screens around the top of the key for a good portion of the offence.

Shaq while playing ordinary still totally outplayed Perkins and in a playoff series the damage would be far greater. Against Shaq all guys like Perkins are is six fouls.

Reply #254930 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Almost a dream team score there TR..

; )

Reply #254933 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

righto DB........ :)

The sad thing is your not far from the truth... Damn you Mr and Mrs Joiner and damn you Mr and Mrs Gruber.. Your son's are duds as basketball players....

Reply #254938 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Perk did play good D on Shaq yesterday. He more than held his own and did a good job of keeping him away from the rack. No he didnt shut him down, but yes he did play good D.

Man im sick of watching Cavs games, or should I say 1 on 5 pick up games vs LeBron. Gotta be one of the most selfish players in the league.

"WTF B-Easy he averages like 8 assists a game, your a dummy blah blah blah"

Anyone who has the ball in his hands as much as LBJ should average at least 8 assists a game!!!

Personally I'd like to see the Cavs ditch Mo Williams for a pass first PG, put Bron on the wing. Have the PG run the offense and Bron can iso 1-1 on the wing and finish off of passes too.

Bobcats are lookin shaky, cant say i see them as the worst in the league, but hey, at least they have cool uniforms :/

John Wall gotta look fly when he's on the floor ;)

on a side note: What ever happened to Lance Stephenson? Have the off court issues run his stock down? On a recent mock draft i didnt even see his name in the 2nd round!!

Reply #254939 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sorry TR, couldn't resist. Karma means I will lose to you now...

Stephen Jackson to Cavs is being rumoured. Would still need a pg though.

Reply #254946 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

LBJ for defensive player of the year, man can he defend. 3 or 4 blocks were off the charts...

Reply #254950 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The one against Rondo was sweet, the one against Ray Ray was sensational!

Reply #254957 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754