Anonymous
Years ago

St Clair Stadium

very ordinary facility and run down is Woodvilles new home. Back board and rings below standard, better equipment on the foreshore at Largs

Topic #21473 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Everybody, please welcome Yoda to the forum. Just kidding. Can we have a bit more information about the topic at hand, like a title? Is it St Clairs they've moved to or somewhere else?

Reply #255441 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

he fail english ... that's ompossible

Reply #255443 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Me brain my damage...never.

Reply #255444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as states previously elsewhere in another thread

lighting to be upgraded by CASA over summer break
new backboard are on the agenda
sprung rings have already been put in place

Rome was not built in a day, St Clair will be upgraded after the Dome it will always be a let down. But the again dome scorebenchs rarely work, no lights, failing sirens, one shot clock display on court one. Pt Adelaide shot clock takes ten goes at being reset, lighting at Port Adelaide little better than St Clair at the moment.

unless your home stadium is current state of the art with no problems please do not be the first to cast a stone.

Reply #255446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes we are fortunate at Hillcrest. (I love it)

Reply #255447 | Report this post

tough being green  
Years ago

21473 obviously you been at st clair - you are apissant waste of a thread
you know nothing and deserve less

Reply #255451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough being green, First time using thread so i may make a mistake or too, and yes i have been there twice this summer season, and my point is how it must be difficult having two clubs at one poor venue. Would have thought the better option would have been have it up to a standard not just for Players but for the Parents and spectators alike before having anybody paying to play or visit the place. As i was not aware until the later reply by 255445 which i thank him or her for the info. as for your reply please read above were you write the replys and it requests no offensive material. After reading your reply i guess you must have been part of the welcoming that was court side on my last visit.

Reply #255483 | Report this post

tough being green  
Years ago

last visit to st clair for what ? district not been played there before in recent memory
2 clubs at poor venue perhaps you might suggest constructive means to upgrade the venue for the betterment of basketball in adelaide and then every club could have Top class facilities -
open your eyes and think - if clubs had money they would upgrade - sorry to offend you - tough being green loves pissants
Been to any other stadiums lately - reckon not one of them wont love a make over

Reply #255488 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

tough being green - You are right that a number of stadiums could do with a makeover, but St Clair is a WHOLE LOT worse than any of them. It is nowhere near district standard, and makes Marion and Hillcrest look appealing.

Reply #255489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is an embarrassment to play there and a few people will move clubs because of it.

Reply #255493 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

I think I have the solution!
BSA get Woodville into St Clair, push a little Magic their way and PRESTO!!
All fixed.

Reply #255498 | Report this post

tough being green  
Years ago

a few people might move clubs - yeah like to magic or maybe go play at starplex because it the best stadium in the town - get real
maybe if woodville make a go of st clair and people support unlike the pissant groaner then funds will be provided by the ruddster / council /SA govt /BSA or whoever
well good on marion and hillcrest for having such wonderful facilities at least now they be appreciated rather than slagged - hanging around yep all woodville need is a little magic and a pot of gold
so tell 493 you wise know it all - whats the solution?

Reply #255504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe woodville didn't have other options, and lets hope they can help bring st clair up to standard. We should be supporting them in their quest, not bagging them for being less fortunate than other clubs. They were one of only 2 clubs that got off their bums last year and did 36ers & lightning carparks, they may have even helped park some of you knockers. I am involved with another district club but wish them all the best for the players and basketballs sake.

Reply #255508 | Report this post

Years ago

district has been played there many times intermittently before - woodies have used as an alternative on occasions when the dome / powerhouse was off line for home games and training.

st clair is where the original cheltenham and woodville clubs originated - i am all for it - and once the stadium gets tarted up a bit it will be fine - excellent location, car parking, foyer - benches, backboards, ceiling and lighting need attention. - are the courts the right size - seems very squeezy where the 3 point line meets the long corner.

western magic was always a subdivision of warriors they took from west / woodvilles hatching ground.

Reply #255510 | Report this post

Years ago

many of those western magic div 3-4 teams winning GFs would have been west / wood div 2-4 players in years gone by.

i have no problem with western - my question is and has always been - why allow another club to kick off (I know they could not stop them from forming) when the existing locals clubs (west / wood) have vacancies and are struggling for numbers in lower grades?

often western would be successful in div 2-4 of the junior brackets that wood / west were struggling div 1-4

Reply #255511 | Report this post

Years ago

for f**k sake let us get in there first. we havent even moved there full time so at this point in time we cant do shit. so hold the hell on for 2 seconds, stop bloody crying about shit that cant be changed at this point in time and let things happen. like one of the other posters said rome wasnt built in a day. things have to be changed before the ABL season which is next year so things wont be dont right this second. bloody winging wankers! SHIT!

Reply #255523 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Years ago when St Clair was designed why was the entrance plotted to the opposite end to the car park?
Well at least the floorboards are sound(strong) and flat.
There isnt enough attendances and players of basketball of all versions to get money out of any government for a new complex.It might require an Entrepenur to build another Starplex.A multi functional facility with Air Conditioning.But where is anyones guess?

Reply #255524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations Western Magic ! who would have thought that you would be co tentants with Woodville. With the bitter past that brought about your very exsistance !

Reply #255532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some clubs are having venues updated and player and spectator facilities are generally good with the exception of court 3 at Mav's ( rest of venue fine )and now St Clair which is well below any other stadium. Of the older venues at least West have had some spring cleaning to paint and brighten up the place.

Reply #255534 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I played a few thousand games there,mostly for Cheltenham in the ole days.
The basics are there,with a little bit of updating,will be fine.
Perhaps they wanted to enter off Woodville road,but maybe via the carpark is better,now.. and the like..

Reply #255536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best solution would be for magic and woodville to merge and form a solid social comp because even combined they don't have the depth of talent and development processes to sustain district and while the women's abl is a bad joke,the men are not far behind them

Reply #255570 | Report this post

Years ago

i think st clair will be fine - but the stadium needs several 100,000$ of upgrades - will need to be a long term commitment by basketbal sa there.

Reply #255601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the cment "court 3" at mavs has never and will never be used for district unless people willing to risk life and limb decide to have a muck around before/after games

Reply #255964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the courts aren't regulation!!

Reply #256209 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

With all this stuff going on with stadiums, I wonder when some of the agendas will come out from under the table?

Reply #256224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only agenda is to ensure safe court facilities surely Jack?
Mt Barker is an OHS&W issue on the second court as well where brick walls are within an unsafe distance for the players and the surface is also concrete and st clair is a run down dump suitable only for social ball at the moment.
St Clair's courts are either regulation size or they are not and if they are not what the hell are they doing playing district there?
Souths and norths both have facilities that could not be built today under present guidelines and court sidelines are too close to walls.
There is not a world standard basketball venue in the city of Adelaide and probably never will be because there is just not the population or interest in the game to support a 6 or 8 court centre which basketball needs in Adelaide to be taken seriously.
While the existing courts were okay in the good old days self interest and poor management has seen our facilities fall well below those of Vic, NSW and Qld.
The government does not see a future in spending money on a minority sport and has already had it's fingers, sorry arms burnt so unless basketball in this state can work together to fund a centre we will head in the wrong direction. Given we have too many self centred basketball associations and a phantom head in BSA, I can't see basketball becoming a growth sport.

Reply #256230 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

agree with the comment regarding court facilities. In general, IMO the facilities used and in particular the BSA stadiums are in poor condition and present unacceptable OHS risk. I am just waiting for some over protected tubby mummy's boy to go A over T at Hillcrest 2 and fall into the women's toilets severely breaking something. Those kids always seem to have trigger happy parents wanting to sue, or bring it up on Today Tonight.

I am particularly concerned at the moment with the innuendo going on that certain clubs have been offer $1.5M for this, another promised $2M for that etc. I don't like all this carry on at all. Trying to turn clubs against each other is not useful to the sport.

I believe the St Clair stadium move is a good move and some work does need to be done to the facility, I also feel there are a few hidden agendas yet to be fully tabled.

Reply #256249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, spending zillions on southern's stadium is an utter waste of capital. They failed before their merger and after their merger and their player development is to have a well known identity contact kids telling them they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and the world will open up for them if they just give southern a go.
Basketball needs to spend its pennies on developing a state of the art 6-8 court stadium in the inner city not to far from ETSA park.
Having goodish stadiums in near rural areas will not enhance basketball or attract new players to the domestic district comp who see Hillcrest and wonder if Noah built it.

Reply #256320 | Report this post

Modern Girl  
Years ago

At least Woodville had another option in St Clair.

It needs a referb....big deal. So does nearly every other stadium in SA.Get off their backs and lets see what they can do with it.

If they didn't go to St Clair I guess the usual suspects would have been on here bagging the crap out of BA for not letting them use it.

Also, sure; Hillcrest and Marion are a joke; however you cannot fault the way the two clubs involved look after both of the stadiums. Every time I walk into either I am always surprised to find a new coat of paint or something new done that wasn't there last time I walked in...alright, given that paint may be all that is holding both places together, never the less good job South, North and hopefully Woodville for making the most of what you have.

Reply #264433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754