LC
Years ago

NBA Player of the Week: Howard & Anthony

The NBA has announced the opening round's player of the week award, and has name joint winners!

The Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard and the Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Tuesday, Oct. 27, through Sunday, Nov. 1.

From the NBA media release:

Howard led the Magic to a 3-0 week, including two road wins, averaging 21.7 points, 16.0 rebounds and 2.3 blocks. The 6-11 center posted point-rebound double-doubles in all three of Orlando's games, including a 20-point, 22-rebound performance on Oct. 30 at New Jersey. Behind the league's leading rebounder, the Magic is off to a 3-0 start for the first time since 1993-94.

Anthony led the Nuggets to a 3-0 week, averaging a league-best 37.7 points on .536 shooting from the field and .429 shooting from distance, to go along with 7.0 rebounds and 4.3 assists. Anthony opened the season with a 30-point effort in a home win over Utah, and followed it up with back-to-back 40-point efforts in wins over the Trail Blazers and Grizzlies.

NBA Link: http://linky.com.au/vsb0c

I personally would have had Melo as stand alone winner...

Topic #21484 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

My bad...Melo is Western Conference POTW, and Howard is Eastern Conference POTW
(I should read these articles more closely before posting!)

Reply #255543 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

If he maintains the level of play for the remainder of the season (even if the ppg goes down), Melo is already a standout for League MVP.

Reply #255548 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Totally agree...he is my pick so far after the first week. Hard to maintain that level over 82 games...let's hope he can keep it up and the Nuggets can keep winning.

Reply #255549 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think DJ Rod was saying recently that Melo is $17 to win MVP. Decent odds given that he'd be easily top ten and definitely top five right now.

Top ten at TAB:

JAMES LeBron

$3.00

BRYANT Kobe

$4.50

WADE Dwayne

$6.00

HOWARD Dwight

$8.00

PAUL Chris

$11.00

NOWITZKI Dirk

$17.00

ANTHONY Carmello

$17.00

ROY Brandon

$26.00

PARKER Tony

$26.00

GARNETT Kevin

$26.00

Reply #255552 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Worth a few dollars I reckon...and given it is Melbourne Cup day why not splash a few hard earned?

Reply #255556 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Awesome!! Melo is my dude!! :D

Interesting odds Isaac, I'd say Duncan would be more likely to be the MVP than Parker. Interesting.

I wrote in another thread that I thought that Melo would finally break into the Black Mamba vs The King discussions. Happy to see one of my predictions finally be right, or slowly reaching being right.

I think the time he spent with those guys at Team USA really showed him the focus and determination he needs to be great. I think it really shows in his defense at the moment, his work ethic is through the roof atm.

Reply #255604 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754