LC
Years ago

NBA: What are your week 1 highlights and insights?

After the opening week of the NBA season, I thought it would be good to start a thread where we can all share our own personal highlights and insights...

For me:

- Carmelo Anthony
What a start to the season! 37.7ppg on 53% shooting. This guy looks motivated and driven to ensure his team succeeds. Love to see him maintain this throughout the season injury free, and if he can we may be looking at a new NBA MVP...

- Orlando Magic & Boston Celtics
These two teams look scary. They each have a multitude of players that can hurt you from the outside in. And both these teams go deep down their bench and are fun to watch. Can LeBron and the Cav's keep pace if the Magic and Celtics remain relatively injury free?

- Brandon Jennings
With Griffin out injured, Jennings has come in from under the radar to just about be leading the ROTY honours after week 1. Over 2 games he is averaging 20.5ppg (1st) on 51% shooting, 6apg (1st) and 5.5rpg (2nd) amongst all rookies.

- Cleveland
The Cav's started 0-2 but now bounce back to 2-2 with Delonte West back on the team. Not a good start but they need to get used to playing with Shaq and how to best use his skills and body size and strength. Will be interesting to watch either way and keep people talking

- David Andersen & the Rockets
Boomer David Andersen played well in pre-season but has so far been starved of opportunities as the Rockets moved to a 2-1 record. Has limitations on the defensive end but can give them an injection of scoring at the other through spacing and creating for others or spotting up and knocking down shots. Has really not put a foot wrong yet and should get more chances as the season progresses. Will be watching his and the Rocket's progress closely as I think they can do better than most pundits have predicted and will be awaiting McGrady's return in anticipation.

- Gilbert Arenas
Agent Zero is back! 28ppg over three games to start the season on 50% shooting. Wizards fuans will be hoping that Arenas can take them back to the NBA postseason. Love watching this guy play.

Topic #21488 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

You've got those pretty spot on!

I watched 17 teams play now and Boston are easy favourites IMO

This is the first season in a long time where the East and West have been so even. i think the best 16 teams will be in the playoffs, not like the few years past.

I've just laid my bet on Melo for the MVP at $17! GREAT value IMO. Looks very driven, more balanced team and he's worked on his body a lot in the off season. His shot selection has improved 200% on the past few season too.

The form of a few lesser known players has been the big eye catcher for me... Andray Blatche, Eric Gordon, Hakim Warrick, Daniel Gallinari, Anthony Parker, Brook Lopez, Marrisse Speights - their early season form has been very unexpected! I'm on Gordon to be MIP.

I think Baron Davis, Hedo Turkoglu, David West and a few other big names are still in pre-season camp!

Reply #255573 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Gallinari has been a big surprise. I don't expect Carmelo to keep it up, his poor attitude will kick in when they lose a few. Rockets very surprising, very scrappy team that is winning(somehow).

Ryan Anderson @ Orlando was a surprise as well.

Chicago winning against the Spurs had me pumped, but losses to Boston and Miami have really sucked.

Reply #255578 | Report this post

mball  
Years ago

Seeing Nathan Jawai get on the court and get blocked by Shaq! Awesome!

Reply #255650 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754