Ben Fitzsimons
Years ago

Gilchrist wins POTW

ADELAIDE STAR GILCHRIST WINS NBL AWARD

Adelaide 36ers' superstar American import John Gilchrist has been named the National Basketball League’s Player of the Week for Round Six after two standout performances.

Gilchrist averaged an amazing 24.0 points, 11.5 rebounds, 5.5 assists, 1.5 blocks and 1.5 steals for the week as he helped the 36ers to a 1-1 record. He also shot the ball at a scorching 62% from the field for the week.

The 191cm guard started the round on Thursday with 26 points, nine rebounds, four assists and four steals as the 36ers narrowly lost to preseason favourites New Zealand in overtime on the road, 99-91.

The former University of Maryland star helped his team bounce back upon their return to the Brett Maher Court on Saturday when they faced the Cairns Taipans. Gilchrist scored 22 points and added 14 rebounds, eight assists and three blocks against Cairns, forcing an extra period with a putback at the end of regulation as Adelaide scored an 87-81 overtime victory.

Townsville Crocodiles star guard Corey 'Homicide’ Williams came close to winning his third Player of the Week award for season 2009/10, being narrowly pipped by Gilchrist. Williams had 29 points, six rebounds and seven assists in his team’s 94-87 win over the Melbourne Tigers.

New Zealand Breakers’ point guard CJ Bruton was also a leading contender for the weekly award. Bruton was instrumental in his team’s OT win over Adelaide, scoring 27 points and adding three rebounds, seven assists and two steals. Bruton also nailed an NBA-distance three that forced the game to an extra period.

Other leading contenders for the NBL Player of the Week in Round Six included James Harvey (Gold Coast), Ayinde Ubaka (Gold Coast), Adam Ballinger (Adelaide), Tom Abercrombie (New Zealand), Tywain McKee (Wollongong), Erron Maxey (Gold Coast), Daryl Corletto (Melbourne), Russell Hinder (Townsville), Rick Rickert (New Zealand), Kevin Lisch (Perth), Dusty Rychart (Cairns), Larry Davidson (Wollongong), Mark Worthington (Melbourne) and Luke Schenscher (Perth).

Topic #21489 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Well deserved. Great to see him bounce back from the Perth and Melbourne games.

Reply #255558 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

yeah props to him for his performances

Reply #255559 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Might be good to hear him on Tuesday regular radio segment.- maybe ?
I think the sixers were in rundle mall on monday,I think?

Reply #255560 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Deserved winner.

Reply #255562 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Yeah he's starting to show his worth! Mid season he'll be stamped as best PG in the league (i know I'm bias lol)

Reply #255566 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well done Gilchrist, glad to see the change in attitude, and performances that reflect this. No sooking, just a win at all costs display. That's how we like our players to play.

Reply #255567 | Report this post

tripod  
Years ago

AGREED db5, his body language was 10 times better, and the adelaide fans are so much more likely to get behind a player who conducts himself properly. I cringed during the melbounre game after he was rolling around liek he'd been stabbed.

If he can continue this form, as it all starts with him running the show, Adelaide should win the next 2 comfortably, and put us at a very competitive 6-4!

Reply #255579 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

And- to keep the award in South Australia...
Lightning's Cayla Francis named WNBL POW.

Reply #255593 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Pfft didn't this happen yesterday :P

Great week by Pitbull, well deserved. Those averages are a bit off though.

Reply #255594 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

X, they other thread was just assumptions that JG would win, this is now confirmed

Reply #255597 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - Just for a second there, I thought it was
'Groundhog Day' - X.

Reply #255646 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754