Years ago

What's the Big Deal About Taping Your Ankles?

What's the Big Deal About Taping Your Ankles?

I understand the reasons why basketballers and other athletes do it, but what I don't understand is why it is implied that those who don't tape their ankles are somehow 'soft' or trying to 'take it easy' out there.

I've played basketball for 15 years (since I was 6 years old), and never once have I taped my ankles for a game or a practice, not even when playing with torn ligaments in my left ankle. I think I've been as commited and active as anyone when I've been out on the court, and not taping your ankles should have no bearing on that. If you're a soft player, you're a soft player, and whether you tape your ankles or not doesn't make you more commited to the cause IMO.

Is it just me, or are there others out there who don't see the fuss about taping your ankles? Who does it? Who doesn't? Discuss.

Topic #21530 | Report this topic

Astor  
Years ago

"..not even when playing with torn ligaments in my left ankle" - reeal intelligent.

You can seperate tapers into 3 categories:

1. Preventative tapers. If you want to minimize the chance of screwing up your ankles, then you stabilize the region and make yourself less susceptible to injury.

2. Injured tapers. People who have already done something to their ankles, and wear tape so then they can ease the ligaments back into action instead of getting straight back into full-impact exercise and risking re-injury.

3. Image-conscious tapers. Idiots who think it makes them look cool, or appear a better player, must like you described above.

Don't assume that all people who tape are doing it to maintain their image and prove they are 'committed to the cause' - 90% of the sporting community tape because their body requires it. I know physio's out there with PhD's on ankle injury prevention who swear by tape, and its no coincidence that athletes use tape in all of the major sporting codes in Aus, be it AFL, Netball, Basketball, Soccer.. choose any sport you want.

I'd say there is a big 'fuss' about ankle tape. And for good reason. However I've got to admit that with such a heavy reliance on tape in the sporting community, it would be interesting to see if people invested in strengthening their muscles naturally to prevent injury instead of spending hundreds each year on a preventative which ultimately weakens the ankle in the long term.

Reply #256072 | Report this post

Years ago

I suppose most of my criticisms would fall on the 'image' tapers then, who are doing it to look like pros.

But as well as that, would the preventative tapers find taping their ankles restrictive to their movement and the flexibility of their ankles. As I said, I've never tried it, so I don't know, but I always assumed it'd make you feel stiff and less mobile in the ankle area.

And yes, it probably wasn't smart on my part playing injured in the past, and preventative taping could have lessened/prevented the injury in the first place. But when you're young, enthusiastic and just want to play (and doctors refuse to help if you don't have private health cover), then sometimes you don't make the smartest choices re: injury management.

Reply #256074 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I worked in the NBA, and knows numerous S&C coaches around other teams who agrees with my thoughts. here's my take:

we do NOT suggest our athletes to tape or wear ankle braces unless there is an injury. why? there's been evidence that suggest ankle taping or bracing inhibits ankle mobility. ever wonder why those with healthy ankles and still tapes frequently hurt their ankle? more often than those that don't tape.

many kids i work with actually improved on their hops and speed after ditching ankle bracing/taping.

Reply #256077 | Report this post

Years ago

LA Boy, that's the kind of thing I mean. I've always thought that 'preventative' taping of your ankles would restrict mobility and range of movement. Now that you mention it, I can also see how always taping the ankles could prevent the ankles from natural strengthening themselves, and could possibly hold a player back from showing their true athleticism as well.

Reply #256086 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I only wear brace when recovering from an ankle sprain...through running without one and balance exercises, I strengthen the joint and therefore no longer need to use it

Reply #256087 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Whether you do it for injury prevention or management, or confidence, or to look good, please just remember to shave your ankle before doing so.

Reply #256100 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good advice ;)

Reply #256114 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hate the feel of taping, and when you wear Huaraches (or any shoe with a good strap) you don't really need it IMO.

Reply #256165 | Report this post

Pallas 55  
Years ago

There is no way you tore ligaments and still played!! perhaps you simply sprained your ankle!! Tearing ligaments in your ankle is extremely painful so I definitely support people who wear tape/braces as a preventative.

Reply #256195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because Coaches are not allowed to tape players mouths!

Reply #256232 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I only taped when i was young & athletic & was prone to landing on other feet & rolling. No one except my team mates knew i taped. i hardly see why it could be an image thing. Why would anyone want to waste time getting taped if not necessary - let alone the trainers time? Is it like the kids of today wearing their undies a few inches above their pants? I just finished playing footy (age 40) & would never have bothered turn up if i had to spend any time getting strapped or rubbed. Unless absolutely necessary why would you bother. If i saw someone getting taped for image i think i'd smash him!!

Reply #256238 | Report this post

Years ago

Pallas55, a couple of weeks after I did the injury, I went to a doctor because it was bothering me. He sent me to get x-rays and it turned out I had torn the talofibular ligament in my ankle. He offered to refer me to someone to get surgury done to 'knit' the ligament back together, but then somehow (on my second visit to this particular doctor) only just realised that I didn't have private health cover, at which point he literally dropped everything and told me that there was nothing he could do. I just said to myself "alright then" and continued to play through the pain and discomfort. I think I missed one game and a few practices all up, and I was playing both club and school basketball at the time.

Reply #256318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alot of athletes use tape because they have it written in their contracts. Prevention is the best form of treatment.
if u have torn lig's in your ankles before...you will know how weak they are..and doesnt matter how much strengthing exercises you do..they will never return to normal...people tape for prevention, not image..its shit look anyway..lol

Reply #256582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754