Jack Toft
Years ago

Game Cancellations

With the run of hot weather at the moment, it is likely that not many games will be played this round in line with BSA policy. With 38 degrees meaning cancellation of games played on non-air conditioned courts, there's really only the Dome and starplex as acceptable venues come the weekend. 7 possible courts to play on, but with Sixers playing Sat. night, probably only the starplex's 4 courts available. So like most seasons, looks like one Sunday in the future will be wasted travelling to some trashy tin shed, aka a stadium.

Of the 150-200 games per week, it looks like only the 6 scheduled for starplex on Friday night will be played.

I know BSA has to count each penny like an old Scottish aunt, but would it not be in the best interest of BSA to play as many of these games on the scheduled day? I know the response is that most kids train on a Sunday regardless, but I know of too many teams with kids having other commitments on a Sunday and the forfeit rate of these "catchup" games concerns me.

My proposal is that BSA re-schedule stadiums on hot days to those air conditioned stadiums rather than re-schedule. I would expect that the courts to be $30/hr so 7 courts and 5 timeslots of Friday and say another 5 on a Saturday, it means 70 games get played - around 35%. Hire cost, $2,000, less the regular hire costs. I would rather drive the extra 30 mins to Starplex on the schedule game night, than be stuffed around on a Sunday.

Is $2,000 going to Starplex and the Dome such an evil thing? Considering Sunday catchup games seem to have a number of forfeits and BSA benefits from forfeit fines, do BSA worry that some teams are forced to forfeit? Rather than re-schedule, I would prefer to be in the position to change stadiums rather than dates.

Topic #21569 | Report this topic

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Jack - Div 1 games only have 4 timeslots on a Friday.

In any case, I would have thought the forfeit rate was quite low. Maybe the odd forfeit in the low divs, but that's hardly worth the hassle of trying to squeeze everyone into the Dome and Starplex.

And even with your proposal, the 65% of games that don't get played need to be rescheduled anyway.

Persnally I'd rather reschedule to a Sunday than stuff around with all this.

Reply #256947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just cancell the games and call it a draw. The only reason for catch up games is to make BSA money. Waste of everyones time playing catchup games. Most draws aren't that close that it matters anyway, especially in the younger ages and lower div's

Reply #256950 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

maybe that's the best solution

Reply #256956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Pro/Reg results in the lower Divs are more important than those in Divs 1 & 2.

Reply #256959 | Report this post

country1  
Years ago

Gee $30 for a court, where I live its $38 for one court, $48 for a school court, and $44 for another court. And that's assuming they aren't already hired for other purposes. Someone should ask the pollies why adelaides basketball communtity have to miss games due to heat when a mass complex like dandenong in the city park area could solve the aging stadium issue, the aircon issue, the travel/transport issues for the majority of basketballers in sa. Surely there is some prime land owned by bsa that could be negotiated to hand over in return for a 15 court multiplex stadium.

Reply #256960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Surely there is some prime land owned by bsa that could be negotiated to hand over in return for a 15 court multiplex stadium."

Ummm BSA don't own any land or any stadiums so no they can't.

Reply #256961 | Report this post

gravity man  
Years ago

BSA has no brains and dont give a shit about District Basketball,why because of the catchup games they need their money in their pockets.BASA managers who own stadiums refused the idea of Drawn games and reschedule.Wayville manager disagrees with district games being cancelled and games counted as a Drawn.If you take account one Friday night earnings its quite a nice total just for one night.No games they cry like babies!!!!!!!!!1

Reply #256972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankly it's only the summer season with no real bearing on who wins or looses, so just call it a drawn round each team gets a point. In the last couple of seasons there has been no summer finals so keep it that way and just let the kids find there feet if they are playing as first years. Its not sheep stations as they say, they are only practice matches for the real season or is it revenue raising on BASA's behalf ! i think the latter

Reply #257008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wins do matter as there are a number of grades that work under promotion/regulation.

As there is no draw for next week anyway, the simplest thing to do would just be to postpone this weekend's games to next Friday and find a Sunday later in the Summer to catch up a round.

No big deal.

Reply #257009 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Its australia, who builds stadiums without AC its just a stupid business model. I play at pasadena and its a fairly new ish stadium as we all know with No AC. heaps of teams havent been playing weeknights this week due to the heat. the loss in revenue would be great and its only going to continue.
The old tin sheds i understand but the newish sadiums should be cooled.
just my opinion

Reply #257013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"they are only practice matches for the real season or is it revenue raising on BASA's behalf ! i think the latter"

The summer season has bearing on LOTS of things - U/14 Nationals spots are now given out based on Summer Season. State Champs seedings are based on summer season. For div 3 and below, your grading depends on summer season.

"In the last couple of seasons there has been no summer finals"

Thats happened once - last year.

Reply #257017 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

What makes you think that U14 Nationals are determined on Summer season?

Reply #257020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were last year - and they only told the clubs AFTER the start of the season.
The clubs this year haven't been told any differently - so I'd expect it was the same this year (unless the clubs haven't been notified again!).

Reply #257029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sad thing is that South Adelaide paid for the fans at Marion, and I think Sturt paid for the fans at Pasadena.
If the Clubs are having to put up for fans, no hope for air conditioners

Reply #257495 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754