Anonymous
Years ago

36ers Live Stream - Worth the Risk?

Can anyone indicate whether or not its worth trying to stream the 36ers v Wollongong game tomorrow night? Ive heard nothing bad bad things about streaming of games all season with people saying it didnt work very well at all. Is it worth the risk?

Topic #21592 | Report this topic

Coopz  
Years ago

depends on how big a fan you i guess.

i used it on a night where they had a few troubles, but as far as i know, that was a one off type night.

BUT, even with the few troubles, i was still glad i did it. the video jumped around a bit every now and then, but the commentary came through perfectly without any gaps or jumps, and as long is the commentary run thru, i didn't mind missing a few plays here and there visually, as i heard what happened anyway.

if you don't wanna risk it, go to the game. I will be using it this saturday, as i have no chance of getting there...

Reply #257209 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

I dunno, I have heard varying stories. I think there have been some games that haven't worked well, but I have heard that some people aside from that have enjoyed fairly smooth viewing - it's obviously no HD, but apparently good enough to enjoy. So many variables that could impact any individuals quality.

Reply #257210 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I took the risk last time and saw maybe 20% of the game, the remaining 80% was frozen, commentary was good though. I saw a few highlights like Ballinger's huge three in transition, but missed basically everything else that was good. I saw 1 sixers field goal in the first quarter for instance.

This seems to be a pretty typical experience from most games and to be honest I'd expect if anything had changed someone would have come on here and explained that it was now fixed.

It's only a fiver and if you've got nothing else to do it might be worth rolling the dice, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't suck again.

Reply #257211 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

i watched the away game in Perth earlier this season, an i had no troubles at all. i was quite surprised how good quality the picture was, there was no commentary but if the game has a radio broadcast you'll be fine. The Perth game was spot on with live commentary matching exactly the same time as the stream feed (i expected a slight delay). so all in all i got nothing but good things to say about it. Good luck hope it as smooth for this game lol

Reply #257212 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Watched it on a bad night. Decided to hook the laptop up to our 55in samsung via HDMI. Picture was poor and froze often and was very fuzzy on the TV. Picture not suited to watching on HD TV but should work on computer monitor to a watchable standard. Frozen picture will happen irespective of video screen (HDTV/Monitor) and needs to be better. Commentary was good but out of sink with video at some stages.

The production was very amatuer with people standing in front of the camera. Just like a cam movie in the cinema. For free this is maybe acceptable but not for any money. Camera positions need to be given consideration at venues to fix this.

While I was not happy with my experience the idea is great and worth developing. I'm watching the live streaming space and when it gets better I will certainly pay my money again.

To answer the OP it's not work the risk yet INMHO but if you want to support the cause then by all means spend the money. It will get better.

Reply #257213 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

we've had really good feedback and very good uptake on our live feeds from Townsville so far... first one was a little slow but very good since

I honestly think $5 is great value when you think how much more you get than just watching stats!

Do you pay $5 for foxtel on virgin planes?
Do you buy bball magazines?
Do you download (and pay for) music on iTunes?

Reply #257214 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

DJRod, I agree that $5 is great value if it works, but people quite rightly have a problem paying for something that is frozen more often than it's not. I LOVE the concept and once the bugs are ironed out I think it'll be a good success, just wish this came in a few years ago as my 6 years overseas is rapidly coming to an end!

Reply #257218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I understand its great value and I love the idea. Its only $5 so Ill give it ago. Even if its only the commentary working, that'll still be better than nothing as I cant get to the game.

Reply #257223 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Both Adelaide v Wollongong and Melbourne v Townsville on Rivus tonight, followed by Perth v Cainrs on Fox so lots of choice.

The Rivus casts from Towensville and Melbourne have been excellent, while Adelaide has had 2 good ones and two average ones.

I heard that the Sixers have done a bit of work to make sure their internet connection is better this week.

If it doesnt work, jump over and watch Hodge v Williams from the Cage.

Reply #257233 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

I watched Hawks @ Crocs last week, it was great.

Much better than one of the 36ers games i tried earlier in the season.

Reply #257270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've tried two 36ers games and both were terrible. Not bothering with it anymore & the 36ers game tonight is on ABC Radio too.

Reply #257273 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Man its $5, ive been dying for games to be available like this for years, ill be paying it, good or bad, just to encourage now for the future investment! The more people that follow it, the more chance we have of it one day being in full HD, and dare i say it, showing the interstate games!!!! I have put up with horrible radio commentary for too long....$5 thats sacrificing a scooner.

Reply #257277 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754