SVD
Years ago

8 Team NBL League - Thoughts So Far

I said a couple of years ago that the league should go down to 8 teams for the simple fact that the talent pool got a little dilluted with 12 or more teams.

So far I think it has really worked. Of course I live in a city that has a team.

The games seemed to be well attended (I have no statistical data on this - just what I'v eseen on the TV).

Comparing it to the A-League - they used to run 8 teams (this year expanded to 10 teams). I much prefered the smaller league - again for the simple fact that there is a finite amount of decent players out there in Australia - so some teams are filling their roster with lesser players which will ultimatley affect the product.

I would much prefer to see the league kept at 8 and if teams like Sydney and Brisbane want back in they will have to show 1. prove that they can sustain and team and 2. come in at the expense of another team. This of course wouldn't/couldn't happen cos the NBL need teams in the bigger markets and they aren't gonna boot out at Wollongong or Cairns (just saying is all).

Another positive is I really like the Top 4 playoff system - 4 make it, 4 miss out - makes each game much more important (especially come seasons end).

Topic #21630 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The quality of the league is bad.

There are probably two bonafide Boomers in the league: Gibson and Worthington.

Think of the great Bullets/Adelaide/Perth/Magic/North Melbourne/Tigers teams and compare today's teams. Not even close.

It's looking like the old National Soccer League - our best players are in Europe or the US and the best young players are at college.

What's left isn't very good.

Reply #257539 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Disagree with anon.

The quality and depth of the 8-team league is the best it has been for years. Each team runs far deeper due to the rationalisation. Yes, there may only be a few that are genuine Boomers, but that only goes to show the level of talent we currently have playing overseas. Arguably it is at an all-time high, both with players in the NBA, Europe and at College. Wortho could easily go overseas for more coin, as could Anstey (if and when fit), as an example.

The evenness of the league has been amazing.

Still, the league needs more characters and personalities to help lift its profile. Love him or loathe him, Hodge's return may well be a blessing as he brings that.

Need the game on FTA TV (been discussed many a time before).

Reply #257549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the high quality pool, but no so much only having 7 teams to play against, playing each 4 times becomes repetitive. I like the idea of adding Brisbane and a second Victorian team or Sydney to make it 10 and get some marquee players from Europe if affordable.

Reply #257553 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I think if the league keeps this strong and they keep it to 8 teams (which I doubt they will) there is a chance they could lure back some of the overseas Aussies for the last couple of years of their careers much like the A-League does.

Reply #257556 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Standard is slightly below the last few years for mine, but still much higher than during the 90s. So many more guys who are scoring threats than in those guys when each team had 3 or 4 guys who could shoot. Game is played at a much greater speed now.

I am enjoying the close competition, we just need the refs to put the whistle away a little (I like a lot of what they are doing, but too many under 12-like soft calls) to let the games flow better and let the players get into a better rhythm.
As for Boomers/TallBlacks level players - Penney, Bruton, Anstey, Mackinnon, Jones, Vukona, Worthington, Boucher, Jones, Saville and Cameron (but not on current form!) who have proven they are at that level, and Abercrombie, Gibson, Harvey, Schenscher, Rickert (once naturalised), Ballinger, Redhage, Pledger and probably Weigh with the improvements he is making, who are around the fringe. I think guys like Tragardh, Petrie and Martin are moving towards that level.

Don't forget a Boomers team with Schenscher, Harvey, Crawford, Forman, Martin etc with Dellavedova and Ogilvy beat Turkey’s second team and China’s 1 ½ team, showing there is excellent depth of talent in the NBL and Aussie bball.

Reply #257564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with what Billy Mildenhall said the other day that it would be ideal to bring some more teams in next season. I can't see Cairns going on and Wollongong might have a question mark over them but the NBL needs to actively encourage teams to come in from Sydney, another team from Melbourne and possibly a team from Brisbane.

Reply #257589 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Would like to see another couple of teams back in the league,eight teams is not enough.
Agree that a Sydney and a 2nd Melbourne team could be added.
The competition has been ok to watch but a couple of more teams would help add some variety.

Reply #257595 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The league needs Brisbane and a 2nd Melbourne team. I'd like to see a Sydney team, but I'm not sure if Sydney actually wants a team based on past history.

Reply #257597 | Report this post

In The Know  
Years ago

Don't forget our latest Boomer......Balls

Reply #257601 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Historically Melb hasn't been able to support a 2nd team ... they have teams that win but ultimatley they fold.

Reply #257606 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hasnt been a lack of support in Melbourne, but a lack of good governance that has sent teams to the wall (or seem them withdrawn from the comp).

Reply #257622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Don't forget our latest Boomer......Balls"

Doesn't look like Ballinger's got much of an international career ahead of him. I heard him say the other week Brett Brown just flat out didn't pick him for the NZ series, he said no injury or anything just the coach didn't want him.

Reply #257641 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Meh!

That pretty much covers it, I have paid less attention and less interest in the NBL this year, than in any for the last 15.

I still dont see this as a bonafide year and it concerns me that if others feel a similar way, the NBL may really struggle to make the public see them as a real product in the future.

Reply #257669 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The comments from Boti, at the game, may be of interest... The most even comp in the 32 years,and
these 8 teams plus Bullets and Kings ,next season,
from what he's hearing.
And the Hawks coach - '8 teams is not enough'

Reply #257670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:17 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754