Isaac
Years ago

Julius Hodge named Player of the Week

Hodge, whose last stint in the NBL ended in an acrimonious split with former team Adelaide, was signed by the Tigers last week. Despite having little time to learn his new club's offences, Hodge still managed to score 22 points and add nine rebounds, seven assists and three steals in his debut in Melbourne colours on Saturday night.
"I’m honoured to win the NBL Player of the Week," he said upon hearing the news of his award. “Hopefully this Saturday night the team and I can improve and get back on track with a win against the Taipans at The Cage.”

The runner-ups were Abercrombie (23 points in a win over the ladder-leaders), Ballinger (17 and 7 against the Hawks), Groves (15/3/9 against the Hawks), Campbell (in a loss) and Ubaka (17/3/8 in a win over Townsville.
Other leading contenders for Player of the Week in Round Eight included Stephen Weigh (Perth), Cortez Groves (Adelaide), Peter Crawford (Townsville), Daniel Johnson (Melbourne), Greg Vanderjagt (Gold Coast), Shawn Redhage (Perth), Anthony Petrie (Gold Coast), Russell Hinder (Townsville) and Julien 'Skip’ Mills (Cairns).
Wow, they really stretched to include almost everyone this week.

Surprised that Peter Crawford didn't make the runner up list instead of the honourable mentions.

Not 100% convinced that Hodge was the right choice for POTW going on the league's past choices. He definitely has the sheer numbers and not many other players who scored also put up boards and assists so strongly, but the Tigers lost and they lost at home to a team who was playing their third game in four days. Crawford had 5 against Cairns, 27 against the Blaze and 19 against Melbourne. Winning 2/3 road games is pretty tough in this league.

What do you think?

Topic #21632 | Report this topic

Jordan  
Years ago

nothing's changed - julius is still putting up POTW numbers, and the team he is playing for still isn't winning! Sounds familiar...

Reply #257545 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Surely someone else was more worthy? He shot poorly and his team lost.

Reply #257546 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

The league just cheapens the award each week.

Reply #257548 | Report this post

cianoz88  
Years ago

Common now, Hodge played extremely well ! That is his cards - making a come back with toothless Tigers, get paid handsomely and ....

Reply #257550 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Flew into Adelaide POTW. Played 9 games, left as Player of the month. Flew into Melbourne,Monday-POTW.
Pretty good.

Reply #257555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Decision based on media coverage

Reply #257558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sure Tigers fans are so excited they have the POTW and are in dead last....

Reply #257562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the tigers will be last for much longer.

Reply #257563 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I find these POTW, POTM and COM awards quite meaningless. Leave the awards til the end of the year

Reply #257583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They keep the NBL in the press and are worth maintaining. The NBA, for example, have their weekly or monthly awards.

For those unaware, the weekly NBL awards are decided by the NBL themselves. The monthly awards are decided by a 3-2-1 vote from media and so on.

Reply #257585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

POTW takes into account whether the teams win or not but ultimately, personal stats will play a bigger role in the award.

Reply #257587 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

If anyone can name a player who deserved the award more than Hodge this week please tell me.
Everyone knows that player of the week awards are judged mostly by the players individual stats so Hodge's numbers are far better than anyone else's this week.
If he got those numbers and won the award playing for the sixers we wouldn't hear anyone complaining would we!!!

Reply #257591 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Abercrombie deserved it more.

The award is not always determined just by stats. In the past, a standout performance has been overlooked because that players' team lost. The frustrating part is that they seem to change the criteria each week.

Reply #257594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Abercrombie had 23ish points against the league's top team, leading his team to a win.

Peter Crawford had 27 against the Blaze and 19 against the Tigers as his Crocs went 2-1 on a tough road trip.

Hodge had 22/9/7 but it was in a loss to a team that had played three games in four days. A few others have noted six turnovers and 9/21 FG as working against him.

The NBL have, previously, appeared to set the precedent that a player's team record for that round was a significant factor in their decision. e.g., in Round 2, Melzer won POTW for 23 points and seven rebounds in a win, beating McKee's 23/9/6 in a loss to the Gold Coast. In Round 1, Bruton's 28/5/2 (mostly off a hot shooting streak) beat Gilchrist's 20/10/6 (in a loss). In fact, the way that the league has often favoured players from winning teams has had a few question their methods in the past.

Reply #257596 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It's all about marketing.

People read 'Abercrombie gets POTW' and the casual basketball fan goes 'Who?'

People read 'Julius Hodge gets POTW' and the casual basketball fan wants to read more.

I'm sure the Silver Fox wouldn't mind Hodge getting another POTW before Dec 5. It certainly aint gonna hurt the ticket sales.

Reply #257599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodge also only hit 4-8 FT's too.

Reply #257600 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Fuck the casual basketball fan. I don't care about the casual basketball fan. The league needs to start addressing things which long time fans expect so that they don't become former fans.

I know the POTW award is only a small thing but it sums out the lack of awareness they have about the basketball public. They have a "that will do" approach to everything and for those that are actually interested in more than casual viewing, it is becoming ridiculous.

Reply #257602 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

lol baller; if Hodge was a Sixer, it would just be Tigers fans complaining.

What an age we live in.

Reply #257605 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hodge can continue to accumulate stats and win every POTW awards left for the season whilst Tigers keep losing their games. Will it make everyone in Tigerland happy? I suggest not, it will only prove what a "me" instead of "us" player he is. He alone cannot possible carry the team to a win, he has to allow others into the game. Its called sharing, we all had to learn it from 18 months of age.

Reply #257627 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Total crap. 6 turnovers in a loss.

baller, here's four I'd have ahead of him:

1. Abercrombie
2. Weigh
3. Groves
4. Crawford

Crawford was screwed by his first game, if it was just the last two he would've taken it, surely.

Reply #257634 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

If you look at the NBL's sortable efficiency ratings for the week, Hodge comes in at about No. 8 on the list.

Most other weeks the efficiency ratings have been a good indicator of who will win the award.

Reply #257650 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I can't seem to get into the efficiency rating - this computer is a bit old and slow , like me.
It seems Gilchrist and Ballinger wins were obvious to everyone. But this week was gonna be hard to pick outta about 5 players in contention and they mentioned that he arrived MEL on Monday and played Saturday as part of the reason.
Ballinger mentioned that Hodge probably wasn't.
I'd guess being a hard choice they went for the media of it.

Reply #257679 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm happy for Hodge to get POTW every week for the rest of the season if the team he's on continues to lose.

Reply #257684 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

They'll give it Barack Obama next.

Reply #257701 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

At least they waited until he played a game before handing him 'the honor'.

Reply #257729 | Report this post

guesswho??  
Years ago

you guys really are fuckin' WANKERS up here! and besides adelaide is just a big fish in a small pond compared to Melbourne!

Reply #257745 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Of all the fake Judas's on here that is the first one I could actually believe...

Reply #257748 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hehe sorry about the double-post, I actually think that could be him.

Who else could get that metaphor stuffed up? First time I've heard the city called the fish, wonder what the pond is...

Reply #257751 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Listening to Ballinger on radio - talking about it
POTW,payments,training,attitude and the like.
Hodge will thrive on all the attention on the 5th
he mentioned.

Reply #257759 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Boti today agrees that Hodge made a better story than Abercrombie.

Reply #257774 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

36's never liked him any way!!!

Reply #257775 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

First season sixers did,but seacond season was a little different you see.

Reply #257778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noone will be calling for Abercrombie to be POTW this week after last night's performance.

Reply #257787 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie deserved that award for last weeks win over Perth fullstop

Reply #257905 | Report this post

Not Into U  
Years ago

WHO CARES

Reply #258184 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Hey, that's a fantastic contribution. There should be more of it. Any time that there is a thread or discussion which you don't have an interest in, just write "WHO CARES" a few days after the last post. That way, all active participants will know to cease their involvement immediately and soon enough, we will only have discussions which absolutely everyone is interested in.

Reply #258189 | Report this post

Fred Greg  
Years ago

TC2, u can go and get lost! it an open puplic topic.So anybody has the rite to say what they want!!!

Reply #258418 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754