Isaac
Years ago

Sabres trounce Bearcats by 51

The Sabres turned it on at the Port tonight, demolishing West on their own turf. Only some sloppy passes and a plucky second half from a young Bearcat kept the margin to 51.

No chance to see a boxscore, but Ng (30 points) and Forman (34 points) were strong scorers, Forman hitting early threes and throwing down three big dunks including a two-handed reverse. Ng was very agile in his first game for a new team, scoring freely for much of the game. The Sabres support cast was also playing at a high level (Gower, 19 points).

First quarter was 22-42 to Sturt and West's situation didn't improve much from that point.

Coaches from North, Norwood, Forestville and Eastern were in attendance, scouting their future opponents.

So, who can tell me who #21 for West was? Ben Evans is injured, so this young guy was playing in Ben's top. I don't think this kid was even in the Hang Time roster!

Topic #2164 | Report this topic

how about Ng

and the sabrettes?

Reply #24481 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I missed the womens game, but I believe that the Sturt women staved off the Bearcats for the win.

Ng was very good. Possibly top-scorer?

Reply #24482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

31 for west. joe mencel

(No, it was #21. The short guy with the curly, black hair.)

Reply #24487 | Report this post

so are sturt looking the awesome combo we all knew they would be

or are west further behind than what we all thought?

knew the girls would be close - my tips are all over the shop this week!

Reply #24498 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

21 was Anthony Spadavecchia, plays Under 20 Division One, came on midway through third quarter.

Ended with 17 points, three boards, two assists, two blocks and two steals in 16 minutes.

Forman 34 on 12/24, Ng 30 on 11/16, Gower 19 on 9/14.

Reply #24500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Evans being injured wouldn't have helped West. Paul Bell got in foul trouble. Also, I know that he had his flaws, but someone like Jarrod Younie would've been handy.

Danny Phillips hit some long bombs, but they didn't have that much luck. Some of Pearce's shots in the last quarter were not good.

As for Sturt, they were good offensively and defensively. Ng and Forman were a cut above with their shooting and general play, and Gower is very active in defense. Bauer was out injured (from that dancing last night!?) so they can still improve.

Journo, do you have the rebound counts for the main players?

Reply #24501 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

West were missing Ben Evans and Mark Nash but they really need a big man like Blake Truslove to compete against the likes of Sturt.

Reply #24502 | Report this post

what happened to luke walsh?

Reply #24503 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Luke Walsh trying out for Port Adelaide SANFL

Reply #24505 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Great game from Spud. Only highlight for West. Hope we see more of him, preferably before the game is out of reach. Can give instant offence with his speed, is very aggressive at the rim, and on D, and has a better than average jump shot, especially on the pull up.

"Big" guys for West were outplyed on both ends. They didn't look fit.

Reply #24518 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

I didn't see the game but not too surprised with the result. Some coasting through the pre season might wake a few people up. The west team has a lot of talent Danny when confident is the best shooter around, Pearce usually a very solid point guard, Joe will be a great player, Bell needs a big man like blake or nash to work with to play his best. I think Bobby and dion will have a few late nights. Don't count the bearcats. The club is too proud to accept poor results they will bounce back.

Reply #24540 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

What makes you think that are too proud to accept poor results? Yes they are a proud club but last season was the worst in the clubs history - worst season ever. And they re-appointed the head coach and seem to be headed in the same direction as last year.

If they were going to make changes, why haven't they done it already?

Reply #24550 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Isaac

You missed some of the Centrals coaching staff. I saw them sitting right near you.

Reply #24561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spud was amazing - great job little man !!

Reply #24582 | Report this post

Some of the so called "problems" from last season are gone. Walsh and Younie. Cioffi overseas is also a so called excuse. West will need more than Nash this year. What did you think Sturt would do to a div 2 side? Thats what West put on the floor last night. A team has finally taken over from Centrals as the comps joke team!

Reply #24586 | Report this post

Jerry McGuire  
Years ago

Agreed Long Time West Fan.

The Bearcats need to look outside their own club, they haven't really recruited at all.

Truslove fell into their lap, Nash came cause Blake asked him, the only players recruited would be Mann (half season 2001) and Banton (2003).

The starting quintet for West on Sunday night is a real good bench besides Phillips and maybe Bell.

They need to add a dominant big man, Nash to comeback and Ben Evans, then the red and black will be a force which will rekindle the performence of 2003 when West finished 3rd and were robbed by the 36ers not allowing Nash to play.

Reply #24588 | Report this post

white dog  
Years ago

job spud! way to make a big impression!

give that man some serious minutes. big things will happen

Reply #24610 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Does anyone know if Rory Craddock got any game time? I saw his name on the list for the ABL side.

Also, the paper said Mencel top scored with 19? HE must have done OK, but I haven't heard a mention of him on here!

Reply #24613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah he played pretty well on the night, nothing too special though

Reply #24711 | Report this post

J.Mencel Fan Club  
Years ago

Westies one shining light in their crushing loss was J.Mencel This kid rewared faith shown in him by the coach, in starting (although they dont have many other options,) and played well. Perhaps if the coach had fostered wests youth in the last few seasons, instead of craddling the older players through you would see more players like Mencel. Against one of the best teams ABL has seen in a long time, Sturts 2005 team, Mencel played well, imagine what he will do later in the season, i am tipping big things for this star!

Reply #24914 | Report this post

cameron  
Years ago

i am tipping mencel to do nothing significant as west finish 0-18.

Reply #24944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am tipping Camerooon disappears back into his little hole when his tip turns out to be wrong! West will do much better than Camer-moron thinks. And Mencel has already started the season strongly and his game was significant last week. Just being out there and enjoying the game is one up on you Camer-cretin. Don't be such a jerk Camer-tosser.

Reply #25100 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Cameron - no need to be such a pesimist, i dont argue with the fact that westies might not win a game, but at least they have an upside in a bright young star!!

Reply #25112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754