underthekeel
Years ago

Will we better off with no SASI?

Today's paper indicated basketball at SASI might be for the chop under new proposals being looked at. Question is, will we be better off?
SASI appears to be a very closed boy's club with over representations from too few clubs.
As with all small sports in their infancy they become a little incestuous with basketball associations being formed and run by dynasties. Such dynasties keep selections in the family so to speak.
It's not too difficult to think of country basketball associations that are or have been run for yonks by people with a vested interest in their positions and the selections that ensue
Perhaps a clean out and new beginning might be the right tonic to reinvigorate basketball.

Topic #21644 | Report this topic

The Juice  
Years ago

The eastern suburbs would be hurting if this is true.

All other clubs ask "whats a SASI?"

Reply #257713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kids might get to learn how to shoot properly now!!!!

Reply #257714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its HP for me

Reply #257715 | Report this post

Yawn  
Years ago

SASI bitch #286. Yawn!!!

Reply #257717 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

considering they are getting rid of the AIS as well, it will surely be a time for BA to look at Basketball development around the country and get some sort of combined approach to development

Reply #257719 | Report this post

facts  
Years ago

Bluey, they aren't getting rid of the AIS, they are separating it from the Sports Commission. And the combined approach to development IS the National Intensive Training Centre program (ITC) which is delivered in SA by SASI.

Reply #257720 | Report this post

facts  
Years ago

And they did just look at this in the review of the sport just completed. There will be changes to the delivery of the ITC program but they haven't been announced yet. I guess they decided to tackle the basket case first (the NBL) and leave the things that are actually working (junior development) last. Remember that we have 20 million people and we rank 2/213 in the 2nd largest sport in the world even though basketball is a 2nd tier sport. The ITC/AIS/National team programs are the envy of the basketball world. Dig around the BA web site and I am sure you will find the review document and read it for yourself rather than having an uneducated swipe at things you don't understand.

Reply #257722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my son went all the way through sasi and enjoyed it he had no prob with NG or his staff and no he is not from that side of town.....

Reply #257724 | Report this post

get a clue!  
Years ago

underthekeel , you obviously are not involved with SASI or have had some negative experiences in the past or you would not be making such ludicrous statements. The SASI program in this state is open to all coaches to come and observe training sessions. The 'boys' club you speak of may exist in the minds of outsiders looking in but it is no surprise the two or three clubs that actually take coaching development seriously have a large representation. The question really needs to be asked to most of the clubs..."what and how do you develop your coaches?" Unfortunately, most clubs have no idea how to go about this which is why coaches who have aspirations to coach at a higher level ultimately move clubs. Maybe you should stop whining on a forum and put your time to better use and talk to your club about what they are doing to not only provide basketball pathways for the players abut also there coaches.

Reply #257725 | Report this post

get a clue!  
Years ago

underthekeel , you obviously are not involved with SASI or have had some negative experiences in the past or you would not be making such ludicrous statements. The SASI program in this state is open to all coaches to come and observe training sessions. The 'boys' club you speak of may exist in the minds of outsiders looking in but it is no surprise the two or three clubs that actually take coaching development seriously have a large representation. The question really needs to be asked to most of the clubs..."what and how do you develop your coaches?" Unfortunately, most clubs have no idea how to go about this which is why coaches who have aspirations to coach at a higher level ultimately move clubs. Maybe you should stop whining on a forum and put your time to better use and talk to your club about what they are doing to not only provide basketball pathways for the players abut also there coaches.

Reply #257726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether underthekeel is right or wrong, 'get a clue', no guessing your connected.

Reply #257732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day if a player is good he/she is in SASI no matter where they come from

Reply #257736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a clue I agree with you that underthekeel has no clue. However, to presume that clubs that are not represented at SASI don't take the development of their coaches seriously is quite a general statement and not very accurate. Just because a club doesnt have coaches involved in SASI doesnt mean they dont develop their coaches. You could also measure development of coaches by NCAS Qualifications, Internal development of coaches, State program involvement, DNSP programs, International study tours etc. etc. SASI would be just one, albeit fairly important component of coaches' development.

Reply #257749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,
What I took "Get a clue" to mean was that some clubs may not know HOW to further develop their coaches, not that they aren't interested in doing it. For instance, if a club does not have a coaching director (I can think of one that didn't for a very long time, and may not still), who might a young coach ask for advice about the next step in the process? Esp if they are a little shy about asking someone outside their club?

I believe all SASI sessions are "open" sessions, so anyone can go out if they have the time/inclination. Agreed all those other things listed are indicators of coaching development also.

Reply #257767 | Report this post

undertheboardwalk  
Years ago

What a lot of crap. There are SASI coaches and non SASI coaches.
If SASI was interested in equity they would recruit coaches from each of the clubs and do so as a matter of course.
It suits the head coach to run it the way he does and that includes keeping it in the sturt family.

Reply #257780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe SASI recruits anyone - coaches ask to get involved (or their coaching directors ask on their behalf).

Reply #257783 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Who is Sasi and what is her fashion sense like on match day?

Reply #257786 | Report this post

bored walk  
Years ago

NG recently sent a letter to each club asking for coaches to assist with the various age groups. NO RESPONSE! He is struggling for coaches and anyone who was interested and wanted to be involved would be able to.

Reply #257788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what level of coaches is he after - it was never relayed down the chain as far as I know

Reply #257791 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

That would be your clubs fault then wouldn't it. Maybe they aren't interested in developing thier coahes?

Reply #257792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or they have a different way of developing coaches. So what is the answer to the level of coaches/experience required?

Reply #257793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there is one. There is at least one boys coach out there who has never coached at the div 1 level AFAIK.

You would think a clubs way of developing coaches would tend to follow the elite "pathway", as per players, wouldn't you?
If they fail to pass a message along to coaches, I'd have to agree with the above that they aren't that interested in it, which is a shame.

Reply #257801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #257802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

level 2 completed - div 2 now - young - is it worth asking??

Reply #257809 | Report this post

Chuck Person  
Years ago

257809, yes. Speak to your coaching director.

If you dont have one or they look at you with a blank look when you ask, then get to another club!

Reply #257811 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I thought for years they recruited coaches to the SASI program. And I was shitty I was never being asked. One day I thought I would just boldly ask if I could come out. The answer was "yes" immediately and then followed by "which night can you come to". If you don't ask you'll never know.

Reply #257819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm no expert on this SASI stuff. However, think about it logically.

Realistically if you were NG how could you know backgrounds or skillsets of coaches within clubs. If you start targetting coaches to join then you are always going to be accused of not offering someone better qualified for the role.

It is up to your club Coaching Director to work with NG to identify good coaches involved with clubs and "encourage" them to join the SASI program.

Reply #257828 | Report this post

downbythesea  
Years ago

828, If NG doesn't know the strengths of coaches at Div 1 across the board in district he's the wrong man for his job. He organises and runs development camps across the age groups and should be watching games at MORE VENUES THAN PASEDENA to find out about the kids qualities and by inference their coaches. He oversees the 16 and 18 state teams which by implication means he should have knowledge of the coaches.

What type of elite sporting organisation waits for people to come to them and takes whatever it can get? Answer courtesy of the posts here; SASI basketball!

Sure anyone can and some do go and watch but actual SASI coaches need the hand of God placed on them which means they need to be country connected, Forestville,Sturt or Norwood varieties in the main with a few outriders thrown in to quell criticism.

Every club should have two coaches at SASI and none of the clubs should have the disproportionate numbers that exist now.

SASI equals two things : nepotism and Ad Hoc.

Reply #257832 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

How many SASI coaches are currently from Sturt? My understanding is that Clarke stopped in January, Butler wasn't involved since July and Mesecke since April. Other than Ben Gliddon, I'm not sure who they have.

Reply #257845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SASI is well run. NG knows everything about every player in SASI. Also coaches. He recruits the best coaches. If they come from one club or ten so be it. The best people get the better jobs. Thats life. There are also people like me who turned down sasi to do other things like to actually get paid for coaching. Those guys get penuts and topics like this.

Reply #257900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They get paid?!?!

Reply #257907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh 900, it should read "He recruits the best coaches AVAILABLE" He conducts lots of coaching courses - does he approach any of those with a view of them developing further under him?

Reply #257908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

900, good thing you turned it down because you need to be able to spell things out to students and you obviously would be challenged by this.

Reply #257926 | Report this post

that'swhereI'llbe  
Years ago

This thread reinforces the cloak of secrecy associated with basketball. Some say any coach can go to SASI, all you have to do is ask, while others say you are recruited. Does anybody know?

It's not surprising that on the surface, a government organisation like SASI is interestingly run, lacks openness and has no accountability because we had the government's BASA precedent and the Dome fiasco that killed basketball's progress stone dead.

What is surprising, is questions about the coaching staff are always side stepped and no one dare criticise this supposedly public institution for fear of retribution.

IMO, a head coach is asking for criticism when he involves four or 5 immediate members of his family, and appoints several coaches from his old club to SASI and state positions especially when he frequents Sturt's stadium almost exclusively.

Clearly the institute sees no conflict of interest or doesn't care but it is surprising that with 10 foundation clubs still in existence in one form or another, representatives from each can't be found to coach at SASI.

Equally surprising is the literal 'boys club' which excludes high calibre female coaches, not by rules and edicts but by tacit sexism rife in basketball.
How many of the past AIS students or ex WNBL player have been picked up or head hunted by SASI to coach, or appointed to the 16 and 18 state women's team head coaching roles? When was the last girls state team coached by a woman?
Women's basketball is light years ahead of the men in Australia but still men dominate the coaching roles because the structure of basketball is patriarchal.
Yes, we will be better off with no SASI or the women will be anyway.

Reply #257928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"900, good thing you turned it down because you need to be able to spell things out to students and you obviously would be challenged by this."

You are a bitter person. I feel sorry for you!

Reply #257984 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Every other state asks coaches and players to apply to be involved in the NITP, they must re-apply every year. A selection panel looks at the coaches/players & then makes appointments. SA does its own thing with only the prestige of the SASI name holding the program together. If the program was delivered without the SASI name by BSA, it would be interesting to see how many people would want to be involved, not many is my guess

Reply #258088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much money do you think a sasi coach makes. Take a guess you clueless knockers!

Reply #258093 | Report this post

Liesalllies  
Years ago

that'swereI'llbe,

I think it is pathetic when someone come on here saying things as truth when they clearly are lies. Shows whay kind of weak and pathetic person you are.

1/ Your coaching director knows, go and ask them. They were at a meeting with NG where Neil has asked for coaches from all club.

2/ 5 Immediate family members. Blatantly untrue. 1 is involved as a coach. All other positions with State teams are selected by the competition committee. And considering BSA never get 6 team managers apply, and never get physio's apply, how can they decide any different?

3/ Again, all clubs sat around a table at least twice and had their coaching directors asked for people willing to give up 1 night a week to assist. Not the State Coaching Directors fault if they dont take it up.

4/ Which female coaches are you talking about? Other than Lyn Holland. Tania Dhu was asked to do both SASI and State again but turned it down.

5/ Again, who are you talking about? And what results have they got?

If you want to make bold statements, feel free to asnewr the questions posed. Ad PS, NG is considered to be the best in the country by BA. This States results are far greater per capita than anywhere else around the country.

Reply #258097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lies,

1. Is the application process for Physios or temam managers publicly know as I can't recall ever seeing it!

Your last paragraph is interesting. How do you determine our results per capita are the best. I would love to understand how you work that out as by any scientific or mathematical reasoning it is impossible to say that.

Reply #258099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not all clubs have coaching directors

Reply #258101 | Report this post

Liesalllies  
Years ago

Simple. Go onto the BSA webite where they ask for applications.

Number of players in BSA compared t other States. Compared to results at National Championships and member of National Junior Teams.

Vic Met and Country. NSW Met and Country. WA met. Queensland North and South all have more players involved in their compettions that SA metro and Country combined. Infact, we have a similar number of players registered to Tasmania. (But hey BSA is doing a great job). Then compared the results.

Reply #258102 | Report this post

Liesalllies  
Years ago

All clubs had a representative, some their president.

Reply #258104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmm so that means coz we have less players and don't win gold we are still better. ok - now I don't need to worry any more - close enough is good enough!!

Reply #258106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you go at someone else about not having facts to back up their claims and then make a ridiculous comment like "Ad PS, NG is considered to be the best in the country by BA."

Show me a quote from someone in BA stating that. You won't find one.

Reply #258108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like him or not NG has done a good job in producing athletes that go to the next level. That is his charter and he is doing that consistently. It is so pathetic that parents still cant get their small minded heads around the fact that their little girl or boy just wasnt good enough and have to come on here bagging someone that is recognised as being one of the best. That is a fact.

Reply #258111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is not I think is the point.

Newley only got a look in in 2nd year Under 18s, Inglis was a star at 10 years of age, no one was interested in Schenscher until 2nd year Under 18s.

Jacob and Oscar were earmarked very early and some would say Jacob never reached his potential. Is NG taking credit for their careers? If so he can also take credit for Jacob's shooting style and Oscar's inability to play inside the 3 point line.

S.A. used to have 3 WNBL teams now we have 1 and its full of interstate players. What women's players has NG developed to the next level?

I would expect most posters are not parents. Both for and against NG. No matter who is on top the current system is not working. SA Metro have slipped from 2nd best state program to equal 4th at best. His job is to develop basketballers and to produce good state teams. His job is also to develop coaches. The only SA bred coach on the National scene right now is Ninnis who developed his skills as a coach interstate.

Where's the next NBL or WNBL coach coming from? Not SASI/State that's for sure.

Reply #258126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry forgot Valk. Also not from SASI/State and well some would question if she'd up to the level she's coaching at anyway.

Reply #258127 | Report this post

Crawford Report  
Years ago

Reply #258126

The only SA bred coach on the National scene right now is Ninnis who developed his skills as a coach interstate......mmmmm

Coaches

Orlick
Arsego
Hill
Kinsman
Pritchard
Shueller
Lucas

All from SASI/State

Womens players:

Flanagan
Woosnam
Veal
Phillips
Marino
Bishop
Francis
Romeo
Madgen

And that took all of 2 mins.

Reply #258130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches

Orlick before NG and not currently coaching
Arsego before NG and not currently coaching
Hill not from SASI from another sport
Kinsman granted missed him
Pritchard not on National scene
Shueller TAS ITC coach who had little respect locally but I'll pay that
Lucas missed him too but his development didnt come from SASI

All from SASI/State

Womens players:

Flanagan playing Interstate
Woosnam Vic Country
Veal playing Interstate & went to AIS very young spent very little time in SASI
Phillips LATE inclusion to State/SASI and developed more with Lucas/West then SASI IMO
Marino not touching that one
Bishop playing Interstate
Francis one of few
Romeo bench warming interstate
Madgen good local from SAC

Reply #258132 | Report this post

Liesalllies  
Years ago

Here is the problem. You think that it is his job to produce WNBL and NBL players. But the KPI's for his job are regarding National Junior Teams and AIS acceptance.

ie, how many players and coaches who go through his program make these squads.

How can he be held accountable for theit development after that is beyond me when his isn't involved in their continued development.

Reply #258133 | Report this post

KAJ123  
Years ago

How many make the AIS based on the amount in the squads and what is the drop out rate at 18's to other sports from SASI

Reply #258135 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't fully understand SASI, the scholarships, how kids try out, who gets selected, what nights it own, who you have to suck up to to get involved etc.

Whenever we play teams chocablock with SASI players there tends to be a lot of awe from the kids and they say "we're going to lose tonight, those kids go to SASI" A lot of the time, those teams are so predictable in their plays you can pick it like a nose.

For example, there's a standard in bounds play that gets the ball down to the key in 2-3 running passes. The plays always seem to rely on having a player on the weak side and really the plays work well on teams with lazy defence.

Defensively, the plays seem to always have an element of double teaming in the back court to set up a trap, or some form of zone defence.

The plays are pretty much Basketball 101 and I'm sorry, but maybe the question asked in the thread should be "how can we make SASI more effective?", or "How can we use SASI to raise the standard of basketball at all clubs in the state?" or "How can SASI develop coaches to better implement programmes?"

Reply #258138 | Report this post

Liesalllies  
Years ago

Jack, often when you are ignorant it is better not to make comment. You sound like somebody who has no idea what baskeball is about.

Players from SASI DO NOT all run the same out of bounds play. They run the play their club coach tells them to play. SASI DOES NOT dictate what offences or defences club teams run. What could possibly make you think that Neil Gliddon could possibly make all U16 and U18 teams with SASI players ru the same offence. Did yu even stop and think before you wrote the above post? If you did, you proved everything that is wrong with the attackes on SASI. That they come fro people who do not have a clue.

And again, SASI (or the NITCP as it is know around ausrtralia) is an underpinning program to the AIS and National Junior teams. It is not it's charter to help all clubs develop. CLub development is the job of the club. Some clubs do this, others do not. that is why some clubs have numerous SASI players and others do not.

But as we have seen, some clubs don't even have coaching directors, they would rather spend money on their senior teams. And then come on here and bitch and moan abot why the NITCP program doesn't do what they don't want to do for themselves.

Until people understand that clubs have a responsibility to develop players and their own club, they wont get any better.

Reply #258142 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Liesallies,
Thanks for the bite I was looking for. You're either a part of SASI, or a 5 m shark from Port Lincoln.

Nevertheless, the forum question was "Will we be better off with no SASI?" There was an assumption SASI was on the ropes.

I believe this is the wrong question to ask. Let's face it, what else would they do with the old Kidman Park High School site? Return it to market gardens?

With anything like this, people have different expectations. The scope is to produce athletes for state teams? There are many ways to do this.

So, I repeat "how can we make SASI more effective?"

Oh, and yes, SASI don't dictate plays, but players bring them back to the clubs, and the olde 3 pass play against a lazy D team gives 2 points everytime.

Reply #258158 | Report this post

Liesalllies  
Years ago

Jack,

NO. Players dont bring back plays to teams. Coaches decide teams and plays, and SASI doesn't run set plays at trainings, they develop players. For anyone to think other wise is rediculous and says more about your lack of understanding and therefore what happens in your kids teams thasn anything else.

If SASI develops a couple of players for the AIS, both them and the other SASI players who will improve from similar training will do well at State.

Reply #258163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lies:
SASI does not seem to develop players, it runs practice and gives them a good work out plus does shooting practice. But never have I seen or heard of a kid being helped to overcome a shooting flaw or become a two sided player through SASI involvement, quite the opposite as that's a main criticism of the program which is just a generic practice session.
Perhaps they work on the special kids who are earmarked for the AIS camps but the rank and file are just training fodder.

Maybe they need to reduce the numbers and make it truly an elite program of development. Get rid of all the associate members and just have the full scholarship holders or run a SASI squad that competes in the ABL much the same as the SASI netballers. Then development would occur.

The question still stands on why there are no women involved in the state programs as head coaches or at SASI. When was the last female Head coach of a state team? Not an asst.Why wont females get involved in the program?
Perhaps females are reluctant to be involved with the SASI program and its boys club mentality and that appears to suit SASI perfectly.

SASI exists in its present form for a few clubs and a few coaches and is about as non elite as you can get

Reply #258186 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Interesting that two years ago the question was asked and now, I read in the paper that basketball will no longer be part of SASI ..... with tennis and soccer also given the chop. 10 sports left? What 10 sports could possibly have a higher profile or influence or result than these three? OK, cricket, football ..... keep going .....

Reply #320271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Netball, cycling, rowing, athletics, surfing, triathlon, hockey and every sport that is not heightcentric. like it or not as a race we don't breed enough players of height to strength ratio to rate and apart from increasing the profile of gays women's basketball is a dead end street.

Reply #320274 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

That takes the award for the stupidest post ever on hoops, and I have read some shite on here over the years.

Reply #320280 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #320282 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754