Anon
Years ago

Future Australian talent?

Just curious, with alot of the young talent from Australia heading overseas on scholarships, especially the AIS kids, which of the new kids do you think will make a name for themselves next year besides Hugh Greenwood and Jason Cadee(who Im sure will both get snapped up pretty darn fast by someone)

Especially bigs, we've had some success throughout the last 5-6 years sending bigs to the NCAA and having them end up playing pro ball, like Bogut.

Topic #21649 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Or via the pro route - like Andersen or Jawai.

I think Cody Ellis and Brock Motum are two recent AIS players who will be very handy, but I doubt they will develop to NBA level. Both are 6'8-6'9 power forwards.

Hard to know with the new AIS kids as I havent seen much of them. Hopefully another good batch though.

Reply #257764 | Report this post

Gael Force  
Years ago

Another former AIS student in his freshman NCAA season is St Mary's Matt Dellavedova. He has followed his impressive debut for the Boomers in the last few months with 19 and 17 points respectively in his first two college games. He is a good chance to be an excellent point guard for the Boomers in the future but similar to Paul's comments above, probably not in the NBA. Still, very early days yet. I hope both Paul and I am wrong.

Reply #257768 | Report this post

Davidk  
Years ago

Ogilvy should be NBA bound if he has a good year this year.
Anatoly Bose is another one who keeps impressing and scoring good numbers in college, he could be a sneaky into the NBA or go via Europe.

Reply #257782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bose is playing at a decent school in a bad conference.

I would suggest none of last year's Emus bigs are NBA calibre. Of that group Dellavedova is a legit Boomer (Olympics/World Champs, not mickey mouse China tours...) but probably not NBA.

There is a serious lack of talented big kids out there.

Reply #257784 | Report this post

titan99  
Years ago

what about about the vandenberg kid he is doing quite well

Reply #257880 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Of the players at college at the moment, he is my take on those with a potential shot at the NBA...

Ogilvy is a genuine NBA prospect, and could go as high as middle first round in the next draft if he decides to nominate.

Bose is an outside chance, late 2nd round potential if he can keep his average up around what he did last season. The conference he plays in may well hurt his chances.

Majok is an NBA prospect. He needs to demonstrate his potential on court this season. He needs to back up some of the hype.

Dellavedova is an outside chance NBA prospect, and like with Mills, the fact he plays in the WCC could hurt his chances.

I also reckon Brock Motum is an outside shot at the NBA. He needs to developm but I reckon he has the poptential.

Reply #257887 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's an interesting one with last year’s Emus, I don’t see any of them being more than Boomers back-ups (which is still very good) unless they improve significantly - which is of course possible at their age!

They just didn’t seem as comfortable as guys like Bogut, Mackinnon, Anstey, Black and Dwight did at junior level. There was a distinct lack of athleticism in the team, which may hold guys like Dellavedova, Ellis and Motum back a little, as skill wise they are excellent players.

Hope I am wrong, but I think we will get quite a few good players but no great players out of that lot.

Reply #257904 | Report this post

MJ Go Gaels  
Years ago

LC said: "Dellavedova is an outside chance NBA prospect, and like with Mills, the fact he plays in the WCC could hurt his chances."

John Stockton and Steve Nash both played for other teams in the WCC and I think they did/doing just fine in the NBA.

Reply #258930 | Report this post

MJ Go Gaels  
Years ago

www.GodisaGael.com Like to invite the basketball fans over to the Saint Mary's sports chat board where you can follow the Gaels this season and keep abreast of those wonderful Aussie players.

Don't forget Louella Tomlinson who is now a Junior at Saint Mary's on the women's basketball team, and is joined by Freshman Kate Gaze.

www.SMCGaels.com

Reply #258931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #258948 | Report this post

TeamShotBros  
Years ago

At 15 years of age here is the future of australian basketball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVrvWOBgnI&feature=channel_video_title

Reply #330611 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Good call by TeamShotBros.

Ben Simmons, the son of Melbourne Tigers legend David Simmons is certainly the stand out talent of his age group. He was clearly a cut above the rest of the field at the recent under 16 Australian championships, leading Vic Metro to convincing win after convincing win en route to the title. This was despite him being one of the younger players on the team.

I believe he does a lot of individual training with Lanard Copeland, so between this and playing at Knox, he's in good hands and will likely pull on the green and gold for the under 17 Australian team in the not too distant future.

Reply #330626 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754