XztatiK
Years ago

The Annual NBA Live vs. 2k10 Thread

It's my turn to choose...

I've had Live since 04, but IMO it peaked in 06 and has gone way downhill since then. I'm used to the controls and the ins and outs of dynasty mode which is just about all Live has going for it, but in order to protect my TV from me smashing a controller through it out of frustration I'm thinking I might make the switch to 2k.

Which do you guys think is the best? And for those who have Live, what are the major changes from last year?

Obviously it's a very important decision :P I need some help.

Topic #21658 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

I go 2k ever year and this year its great as well, although they had to patch it which made it much better. Must admit that Live is much better than previous years though. I just don't really like the "feel" of live but that may be just that i'm used to 2k. Just rent both and make your own mind up. Don't think you can really go too wrong this year.

Reply #257861 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I'm loyal to the Live brand (only strayed in 08 when 2K was MUCH better), so I've been playing Live 10.

At the moment there is one major issue - I'm playing on 360 and have downloaded the available patches so far. The last patch was quite buggy, in that I can barely play a quarter of a game without the whole thing freezing up. It is pissing me off in a big way, and I'm hoping the next patch they bring out soon fixes it.

That said, the gameplay is decent enough. I think it is drmatically different to Live 09, which is a bit of a shame, but whatever.

My favourite thing about this year's release is the Dynamic Season option - just awesome.

Haven't played 2K10 so can't comment.

Reply #257863 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I got 2k10 and it's dope as

Reply #257866 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The screenshots of both look good from what I saw @ JB Hi-Fi last night. Because I study on the side, I'm not bothering with the updated video games yet.

Reply #257868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2k10 controls are a little unresponsive.

Reply #257871 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

anon "2k10 controls are a little unresponsive" serious?!

Was a live man until 07 (terrible)
2k8 was my first installment, the controls and gameplay are quite different take a while to get used to but once you get the hang of it I feel it is alot better than Live, not as easy to NBA Jam it up but there are other games for that.

2k10 my player mode will have you addicted from day one and you may forget about playing association, season etc.

2k10 runs living rosters that evolve as the season runs with player ratings and injuries etc.

The opening menu gives you the option of playing todays real nba matchups and viewing y'days real nba scores.

Only played the demo of live 10 but found it a bit too cartoonish for my liking.

Reply #257874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got Live 10

The online play is pretty annoying, as the step back 3 pointer with nash, nelson, mo williams etc is unstoppable and hits about 80% of the time regardless of where the defence is.. so it leads to some very frustrating sessions as the glitchers out there do it over and over and OVER!

If anyone wants to play online hit me up, my gamertag is Annoyedgecko

but watch out im pretty good (and i dont glitch)

Reply #257877 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Live 06 was great. I've been 2K since then.

Though 2K10 still hasn't fixed the bloody goaltending issue. I pull my hair out every time a legit offensive rebound is called goaltending.

Reply #257879 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Agree with you X.

06' was the pinnacle of the Live series for me, been on the 2K train since.

2K10 is awesome. The Create-a-player feature is quite good; and is very useful for getting a grip of the new mechanics of the game.

The worse a player is in a certain ability, the more awkward it is to do in game. I've found I use role players alot more in Association/Season games rather than doing the usual "2 players do everything" scenario.

Defense is alot better too. Taking shots and shot blocking are alot more to do with timing rather than stat value.

Shooting is quite good too. Got to get used to releasing the R-Stick at different times for different players. Probably not everyones cup of tea, but I like that.

Goaltending is definately a problem. Tap the rebound button too early and you catch it round the RIM. Bloody annoying when your trying to create a hybrid "Wilt Abdul-Olajuwan" in Create Mode.

Reply #257890 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Got 2K and loving it. I think I need to turn down the difficulty setting on season mode before my TV wears a size 12 boot through it though.

+1 for liking R thumb stick release shooting.

Downloading Live atm. Bless you, modded Xbox, bless you. In the meantime, I'll have to bust out my Live catridge for the N64 - ol' skool styles.

Reply #257901 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Just got Live on a trial (you can return it for any reason within a week) and it's really wierd.

What the hell is with the new player ratings? All the important categories are gone! There's no 3pt of mid-range shooting ability, just 'likelihood' WTF?

Many other important categories are gone too. Hmm...

I haven't actually played a game yet but in practice the new controls seem pretty annoying, and the shot button is pretty unresponsive, it's pretty much impossible to throw a quick pump-fake and then shoot straight after now.

Think I'll be swapping...

Reply #257930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop moaning..

If you want arcade go with 2k

if you want a sim it live 10

you cant play it for an hour and write it off because your bad at it!

Reply #257959 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

lol calling 2k arcade, 2k has lead the way in REAL bball simulation for years, i was a mad Live fan til about 2k3, an i've never turned back to the Live series since. 2k10 is pretty damn good, as said before you'll get soo involved in the 'my player' mode ya forget to play normal season or association. Live is alot better this year than last years game but only cos it got ex-employees from 2k sports to help them. 2K10 owns Live anyone who says different has mental problems lol

Reply #257974 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Whoa! This is terrible!

2k10 time! How could I resist Kobe on the cover?

Reply #257977 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

2K10 arcade????????????? WTF?????????

Reply #258170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754