out of towner
Years ago

Lauren Jackson expected to sign with Canberra

Although not finalised, Jackson is expected to join the Capitals for the remaining of the season. Here's hoping this works and doesn't disrupt things.

Sorry about the link - a copy and paste will be needed

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/basketball/jackson-set-to-sign-today/1687031.aspx

Topic #21684 | Report this topic

out of towner  
Years ago

Is Adelaide still getting an import to bolster its stocks?

As I see it, the top five should be Bulleen, Adelaide (they can't stink it up permanently), Townsville (especially with the return of Cox and Rush, & hopefully the retention of Hill), Canberra (even without Jackson, though this should bolster it considerably if Graf gets the rotations right)and Sydney.

Who to win it all? Dunno.

Reply #258267 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Its been confirmed, she's signed.
Bulleen must be upset, there goes their monopoly on this season imo

See BA website

Reply #258270 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bulleen vs Canberra IMO
Cambage vs Jackson!

Reply #258271 | Report this post

milner vs hurst

and for a bit of fun the mismatches:

hurst vs cambage
milner vs jackson

Reply #258272 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

LJ will have Cambage for dinner. Cambage is not fast enough or tough enough to handle Jackson. The matchup will show that Cambage is a "sook" and doesn't like contact. And when Bulleen are down Tom will rant and rave and try to get the officials to protect Cambage and call the game the way he wants it called. BOO HOO!

Reply #258284 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

^^lol, I thought that said LJ will have cabbage for dinner...smelly, defense would sag off then for sure..

Reply #258290 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It is Sunday 7th.Feb here at the Dome v Lightning
on about $500 a minute.
I'd guess WNBL doesn't have a salary cap
Would I be correct ?

Reply #258307 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Since when has the WNBL had a need for a salary cap? Maybe the time has arrived?

Reply #258385 | Report this post

Game Day  
Years ago

Jackson would be getting more than the entire Perth, Logan and Dandenong teams put together.

Really a sad day when teams are now just out buying each other for Championships.

Adelaide started a sad trend.

Reply #258390 | Report this post

Perth just need a lucky break

Reply #258406 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Perth need more than a lucky break...they need some more playing talent.

Reply #258413 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or more money to attract talent over there.

Reply #258415 | Report this post

clueless  
Years ago

How much do the women get paid?? that just seems like too much money what about the other capitals like tolo or beatty will they even go on now lj is back??

Reply #258432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you think the Lightning won their premierships in the 90s?

Yes Jan was one of the best coaches in the league but the then Lightning was also using BASA money, sponsors, employment opportunities to recruit the best players out of the AIS: Brogan, Boyd, Harrower, Kingi as prime examples.

The women's competition has always been about who has the most money, as has the mens Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney prime examples but again also Adelaide from the late nineties.

Generally the most powerful clubs are also the most successful. How do you become powerful quickly? Spend more money then your opponents.

Canberra is funded by ACT Basketball and in this case the ACT Government.

What we should be asking is why the SA Government isn't supporting women's basketball in the same way it does Netball, AFL, Soccer etc. Also how much of that is the fault of basketball and how much is it the government only willing to support traditional sports?

Reply #258435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because no one likes womens bball netball is what the like

Reply #258439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clueless I think you underestimate the value of LJ

Best women's basketballer in the world!

ACT Basketball and the ACT Government will send her out to schools, clinics, basketball clubs and have schools, parents and semi interested bystanders now paying very close attention the the Caps and basketball in general.

This is great not only for ACT and the Caps but also women's basketball in Australia.

She is certainly worth whatever they're paying!

Reply #258440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If men's netball had a profile no one would watch women's netball either.

Reply #258441 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

The CAPS now have a stronger front-court with Tolo & Jackson that Bulleen does with Penaluna & Cambage.

The Jackson v Cambage matchup is an obvious talking point but lets be honest - Jackson (currently in her prime) & Cambage (only 18 yrs of age) isn't really going to be a contest.

As someone pointed out Jackson is arguably the greatest womens player in the world and has been in the top 5 since 2000. Prior to this season, Cambage was a bit player in a terrible AIS lineup and was completely under-developed by the AIS. No contest this season but might see some fireworks in 12 months time.

Reply #258836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson will be excellent for the team it just means other players will miss out. Don't know if anyone Watched bendigo vs Canberra but Beatty has lost her touch so being tall but not exactly the most skillful she will be cut out would anyone agree???

Reply #260094 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I've been watching Beatty for a few season now, and to be honest, she's crippled with a bad foot injury that she should get surgery on, but I think her time in Canberra is almost up. Time to hand the reigns over to the kids.

Tolo is taking over, I watched her last triple double and she was outstanding. She does struggle for consistency, but she's still young.

Bishop is due back, so adding her and LJ to the squad, I think you could put Beatty on ice for the rest of the season. A front line of Bishop, Tolo and LJ is the best in the league by a long shot.

Add Bowley to the frontline, and Abrams can slot into the SF position when the Caps run Bibby and Hurst up front you've got a tough, deep veteran team.

Reply #260100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754