badassmofo
Years ago

ROY JONES JR CONSIDERS NBL OFFER

It was mentioned today in the weekend herald(sydney) that boxer Roy Jones Jr is considering a professional bball career on the gold coast for next year...just wondering if the blaze have in fact made RJJ an offer, yes it would give the blaze free world wide publicity(bigger than the Karmichael Hunt AFL stunt) which would be great...however at the age of 40 he would surely be past it to hold down an import position.....has anyone else heard this, is this fair dinkum??....i for one think it would be a worthwhile stunt....would RJJ be prepared to play bball downunder for relative peanuts, just because he wants a new challenge?????

Topic #21711 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

No way is this legit, why would he? and why would they want him? does he even have a ball background. NZ had the boxer/baller mix in storey and that did not go well. Good luck to the blaze if they do it but it would be a wasted roster spot.

Reply #258705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rjj can play...not sure at what level, but a definate player...used to have a game on the streets before he had fights...

not going to happen, but funny stuff tomention it..

Reply #258709 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I remember seeing a story where he was the first ever professional athelete to play 2 different sports in one day. He played in a semi pro basketball league and fought a bout that same night. He apparently is a good ball player, not NBA material even in his prime but an average second tier league player.

I think it could be a great stunt, if GC get a solid Aussie playing group and one good import, im sure RJJ could still produce in a bench role. I feel the NBL needs to somehow get some household names into the league like the A-league to help boost media attention to the sport. I think an Ex well known NBA player would be a better choice but RJJ will definately get the league some free much needed media exposure.

Reply #258724 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Not a chance. What crap. It would be exciting like mini me from Gongers getting junk minutes at end of game. 40 - forget it. Long hard road to make a dick of yourself. Joey would smash him at training.

Reply #258732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt fitness would be much of an issue. A mug like Anstey might think twice before throwing an elbow his way.
I'd certainly buy his jersey.

Reply #258739 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

This story is quite hilarious, but I don't believe it. A brilliant stunt if true.

Reply #258754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I own the Blaze, hell I am offering him every penny I can and anything we can give him to let him play.

It would single-handedly give the NBL world-wide media and bring in thousands extra to each game he played in.

Reply #258789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mate you own the Blaze? ha the only blaze you got is that joint your smokin

Reply #258791 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

To the 'Blaze Owner' - put a formal offer on the table. The worst that can happen is that he rejects it but you'd still get the free publicity.

Reply #258867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He wasn't (intentionally) saying that he actually owned the Blaze. "I own the Blaze, I'm having all the dancers wear less" is short for "If I owned the Blaze, I would have all the dancers wear less." Think of it like a ghetto hypothetical.

Reply #258871 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:25 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754