Isaac
Years ago

Nathan Herbert gets AFL offer?

Townsville photographer Cameron Laird posted this on his blog:

Nathan (Herbert) has fielded an offer from an AFL club who appear to be making the most of the unstable National Basketball League and snapping up freakishly tall & fit athletes. Who can blame them?

AFL poaching NBL players? There's a first!

Can't find the full article online but someone with a copy of the Sunday Mail might be able to tell us more.

Topic #21716 | Report this topic

tipo  
Years ago

clearly it would be the power who are actively pursuing basketballers right now

Reply #258771 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There's 2 pages in the Mail. re footy v basketball.
Herbert played junior footy - but went with basketball
It crossed his mind to return to footy when the NBL was under threat last year. But, basketball is his first passion and won't change.

There's a good report on NBL v AFL and the like.

Reply #258772 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw and a page on Hodge, half a page on sixers half a page on lightning, Groves in quotes of the week...
we get a good go in the Mail, today....if u can grab hold of one.

Reply #258773 | Report this post

article says that the average AFL player earns $200,000. Is that right? sounds high to me.

Reply #258777 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Herbert played for Bell Park and had too choose between basketball or football. He gave it away and joined with the Geelong Supercats however still had a keen interest in b-ball. I am a little surprised the AFL have shown interest in him. However this could be for many reasons. I doubt Nathan would change and think hsi parents would be highly surprised if he did.

Reply #258779 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gotta be about right if you look a salary cap $7.7M
A few get $700,000 would AVERAGE $200,000.

Reply #258781 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Herbie at full-back, I could see that...

Reply #258783 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Herbie flattening anyone wearing a Collingwood jumper - yeah, I'ld like to see that!

Reply #258787 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Oooh Herbie would smash some blokes that's for sure. He's actually got an AFL body already, combine that with the height of a key-position player, the quickness and agility of a shooting-guard and a football background and you've got a perfect candidate for the switch. He's only about 24 too right?

Reply #258792 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just turned 25 and at 192cms is in the land of giants in AFL terms by the look of it - the Mail today.

Reply #258793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a story about Peter Hoban considering a switch to footy too in the Messenger this week. Supposedly decided not to take up an offer to play in Lithuania and is currently training with Woddville-West Torrens.

Reply #258796 | Report this post

enonymous  
Years ago

Didn't realise Lithuania played footy - what are the pay rates like compared to our footballers?

Reply #258801 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Some of those Litho country leagues play big $.

Reply #258810 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They fly you in for the game on Saturday too.

Reply #258812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the average pay for a player in AFL would be around 200k but not sure this equates to an average player earning 200k!!

Reply #258816 | Report this post

Brendan  
Years ago

The Average AFL Player gets $250K - in saying that some very ordinary players do make a lot of money -

For Example - Rahn Hooper who was drafted last week by Hawthorn was on $1M over 3 years at the Lions - he had only played 40 odd games.

Reply #258825 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The rumour a while back was that Hoban's Euro offer was insane. Either someone had an extra zero in there by mistake, or he turned down money he'll likely never get offered again.

Reply #258828 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

250k per year for an AFL player would be more correct, in 2005 he average was 200k.
Heard J. Westhoff's new contract (think he signed it at the beginning of this year) is 300k a year.

Reply #258855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think even rookies in the AFL are on some decent dosh, i.e. 70's. Not bad for a player who will hardly get a run.

Reply #258859 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

Whatever happened to Matt Illman? I seem to remember he was going to have a shot at the AFL.

Reply #258863 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bumped into him at the Crown and Sceptre a few months ago. He works in finance (from memory) and plays a bit of footy on the side - obviously not at AFL level though.

Reply #258864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illman was playing for West Adelaide in the SANFL but then they got rid of him and now plays amateur league footy.

Reply #258865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think much ever happened with Jordan Dodman's footy career last heard he was playing reserves for North Adelaide. He's not SANFL standard.

Reply #258866 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Westhoff earning 300k? The world isn't fair.

Reply #258879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #270130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this has been happening for years, Mike Parsons, Illman, Dodman recently McGinty,Ahmatt Watkins, Shearwood, Wingard, LUke Davis, Sam Day all good bballers that are good footballers,as long as they are having fun and pursue dreams and opportunities

Reply #270132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754