Isaac
Years ago

36ers vs Tigers: Who should defend Hodge?

With the big game coming up this Saturday, the 36ers will have their hands full denying last time's gamewinner Mark Worthington, limiting Daniel Johnson and now also defending Julius Hodge.

Who should get the job on Hodge?

Topic #21727 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Without doubt, there's only one man for the job. Brad Davidson.

Reply #258933 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Cortez Groves

Reply #258934 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Herbert...

Reply #258937 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Tez with Herbie off bench.

Would be acceptable if both fouled out with all fouls on Hodge

Reply #258941 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Regret Brad Davidson was replaced be under 23 , but if you turn 23 this season during this season you don't qualify. Davidson - Hodge would have been good to see. Anyways that's another issue.
Sometimes Ninnins, at time outs - ' when we score go to a zone, - if we miss go man on man.'
Some of the time , not all of the time - do you think worthwhile v Tigers ?
Maybe Worthington would enjoy a zone D , not sure ?
Groves looks a pretty smart guard to me ?

Reply #258942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed JT, I think he'll probably have Herbie's number, but Herbie will keep him honest, and make him work for it.

Reply #258944 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Id say whoever can locate where is in the world atm! But serioulsy, i like Cortez on him, and DO NOT play zone against the Tigers...Worthington ate us up, and with Hodeg able to penetrate through a jail sell, he's that good with the dribble, wortho and corltetto will line up!

Straight up full court man, with many subs to stay fresh please!

Reply #258955 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Tez with Herbet off the bench with Holmes to throw a few bows in the key way

Reply #258957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was thinking Groves and Herbert were the obvious choices, but if Holmes wanted to prove any points, you could try him for a bit as he wouldn't give up. Only thing is, he might want some revenge on Worthington already.

Bad timing if we don't have Burston for this one.

Reply #258958 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Loved Moses Guthries idea of Davo. Well good idea anyway
We need to just block the key way and make him go for a jump shot.
Therefore we need Burston to be major part of this plan .
Oh no he is in doubt again for the game wow isnt that getting boring.
Like most of us I was all for signing Burston even though knew of his injury dramas but we wont play consistent winning basketball until he can put in good minutes on the court on a regular game basis.
Always worries when a sportsman has a record of different injuries then you have to ask is this going to stop or is it between the ears

Reply #258960 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Burston is as delicate as fine china.... probably the nicest guy you will ever meet, so im not making this at all personal, but this was in hindsight a shocking signing.

And he looks slightly undersized for mine too, has anyone else noticed that??

Reply #258961 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Undersized? Burston is a unit

Reply #258964 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Well thats what i thought, but maybe i just got used to the luxury of Schenscher! Didnt look imposing at all on tv against hawks IMO

Reply #258969 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Put Paul Bauer on him.

Reply #258971 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Hodge's lawyer has been kept busy defending him recently.

Reply #258977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tripod, Worthington ate us up in man to man, thats why we went to the zone because no one could stop him.

Reply #258988 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

We mayve been horrible in the man to man, but zone is only likely to get him even more open looks. Especialy if the brains decided to go with that D when the game is on the line, and Wortho gets even a milli second of someone not marking him directly. I havent seen aguy with such a green light for years.

Reply #258992 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Tigers werent great against the Cairns' zone, but they worked very hard in that zone. Definitely worth mixing up the D a bit as long as it is a good zone and not a gimmick.

Reply #258993 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

BRAD HILL

Reply #258994 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Mark Davis.

Reply #258995 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Is this even a question? I'd actually start Herbie and give him 30ms just for this mathup. He won't take any shit from him either.

Reply #258996 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

put a couple of players on him as once he has the ball the rest of the tigers offense wont get a look at it

Reply #259002 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Julius will have the height advantage against Herbert, so will be able to shoot over him all day long, which will also help him to get to the hoop.

(In related news, Hodge has realised that he was confusing 6'5 black American Ebi Ere with Daryl Corletto when he said this: "Whenever I had Ebi on me I knew he was a smaller guard so I was just shooting right over the top..." J. Hodge, 6 January 2009.)

Reply #259004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

put big jacob on him just to get under his skin and niggle him. he seems to be theonly one who has a bit of shit in the belly. bit of aggression

Reply #259005 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Judas can shoot over Herbie all day if he wants I don't give a shit, Herbie won't let him get close enough to the basket to throw up anything but bricks, and he certainly has that aggression anon.

Reply #259008 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Jacob has to get the matchup of Wortho, Ballinger can play centre against DJ leaving Herb to play the majority on Hodge, let him beat u with his J!

Reply #259009 | Report this post

bball fan  
Years ago

tez could not guard jh even when he is not sulking;
brad hill is the right size and is a athlete .

Reply #259012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The security guard I would have thought

Reply #259014 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

Get Brad Hill to tag him to deny him the ball, the more time the ball is out of his hands the better.

In the half court we would want Nathan Herbert to take the job with a second guy always waiting to step up once he starts the dribble. Problem is this second guy will leave his man (not wortho) so the rest of the teams rotations will have to be up to scratch.

on second thought, start Molitor, Get him to hit Hodge early so hes out for the game :D

Reply #259016 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

We need to be flexable on the night.
Herbert will probably get a fair go at it, but should be watched to see he doesnt weaken our offensive dynamics. Balls will need some help inside when jh drives.
We need to frustrate jh and be prepared to send him to the line for some crowd attention. Crowd will be important!!
Coops is one of our best defensive players should take the 1 centre spot with Burst resting for later in the season. Would like to see a few rejects over jh to make the crowd crow.
He will need to contribute offensively though.
This is where we could use a couple more in form bench players.
We need to shoot well from range from the start and lead all the way.
We also need the umpires to extend us the same privleges as other teams regarding physical defense.

Go Sixers

Reply #259018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depending on who Hodge defends, is it worth trying to drive on him to draw early fouls and limit his impact on the game that way?

Anon 259014, while I don't like the idea that Hodge would cop anything more than a few boos (inevitable, though I won't be joining in), that's kinda funny.

Reply #259019 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

You won't be joining in??? Not cool...

Reply #259020 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd guess he's gotta get here first.

Reply #259024 | Report this post

emjay  
Years ago

I certainly wouldn't want any incident at the game as we are much better fans than that but I do think he should be in for a bit of healthy booing!.

Now that Bradkte is long gone, Anstey is out injured, we should be thankful Melbourne has given us something to get fired up over. I sit close to their bench and often have a laugh watching the security guard there. 90% of the time he is very casual as nothing happens but every now and again he has to be on guard. I am looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Also the dancing girls have been getting a bit cheeky lately at opp team time outs etc. I certainly wouldn't be offended if they did that all game :)

I strongly believe when the dome is full and the crowd is fired up, it is worth another player on court for us.

Problem is Hodge does have the ability to light it up as we know so we have to do whatever we can to get em rattled and early. I am starting to have alot more faith in Cortez, I think he is the man for the job as he has a lot to prove.

Looking forward to the game

Reply #259029 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Also the dancing girls have been getting a bit cheeky lately at opp team time outs etc. I certainly wouldn't be offended if they did that all game :)"

One of them should give Hodge a lapdance during a timeout, then he'd get a tech called on him for pointing at the ref...

Reply #259033 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

i'd go with herbie, he's a tough player an doesn't mind gettin a lil rough, all ya gotta do is what Hodge did the Homicide last seas (in one of the handful of games he played) an thats just keep him out of the paint so Hodge has to try an shoot it which we all know he can't or just foul him hard on his drives, Hodge's foul shot is funkier than James Brown

Reply #259049 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It sounds like he's playing then... Maybe don't start bullshit threads about him going awol then!

Reply #259054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

funny: http://24hodge.com/category/shooting/

Reply #259078 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Why the hell would anyone want to watch Hodge practicing free throws?

Egotistical much?

Reply #259084 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

We need to stop Hodge and his ability for the dribble and try and make him hit jumpers around the free throw area so the music guy can get us goin,it should start with Tez(He has good D) I like ayjay comments and D/Team him as Ball's needs a big one too because of the Wortho threat.I hope Burstan play's and makes an impact.

Go Adelaide

Reply #259126 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Hmmm. 'Practicing Free throws'.

The free throw line is a good metre behind him.

Reply #259132 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

All this focus on Hodge.......but remember last time we lost to them at home was due to some bloke called Worthington. I hope we don't forget about him!

Reply #259136 | Report this post

K  
Years ago

that's good shooting Jules... from just in front of the rim? what are these videos meant to prove? that he would be a great under 10's player? that's the second different video I seen with him shooting really close range , while bragging that he can shoot now..? I like the guy, and think he's good for the league.. but WTF? Show us a video of you hitting threes and proper mid range jump shots consistantley and people might stop bagging on your J!

Reply #259176 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754