Isaac
Years ago

Crocs vs Cairns, Dec 2

The Townsville Crocodiles defeated the Cairns Taipans 73-64 in the North Queensland derby at the Townsville Entertainment Centre on Wednesday night.

Corey Williams (22) lead the way with Russel Hinder (12) and Michael Cedar (9) in support for the homeside which was in control except for briefly in the third quarter.

Julien "Skip" Mills (22) was the only threat while Dusty Rychart (13) and Rich Melzer (11) leant a hand for the visitors who paid the price for not playing for quarters.
(I think they meant "four" quarters there at the end unless there's some expression "playing for quarters" that I'm not aware of.)

One interesting moment of note, going by articles up in Townsville, saw a radio presenter start singing the national anthem during the pre-game ceremony, in protest of the NBL pushing to can the anthem at non-international games. Apparently most of the 3500ish in attendance joined in.

The Townsville Bulletin has an article slamming the league for its lack of patriotism, noting the lump in the throat one gets when an Australian succeed on the world stage.

Which might be a good point if we weren't talking about Cairns @ Townsville - not quite the world stage. And most of the two teams are Australians anyway.

Are any Adelaide fans particularly unimpressed with the lack of anthem at NBL games?

Back to the game itself, the win sees Townsville become the first team this season to reach eight wins, but their W-L record sees them in sixth place on the ladder. If the Hawks win in NZ tonight, they'll be outright top. If the Breakers win, they'll move past the Blaze for fourth. Adelaide can't be knocked from third spot by tonight's result.

Topic #21743 | Report this topic

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

The Wildcats have the Anthem every game!

Reply #259204 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

'Playing for quarters' - clearly a reference to gambling games played by US children.

Reply #259212 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I still think the anthem should be played, however I get shot down every time I say it.

Starting to feel like Julius Hodge.

Reply #259213 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Save the anthem for International games and the finals.

Reply #259214 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY, that's what I thought, but wouldn't then "playing for quarters" be a euphemism for bringing a weak game? It'd be used to describe someone who wasn't a high-roller, surely?

Reply #259218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why the spoiler isaac!?

Reply #259240 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sorry, figured everyone would've watched it by then if they were going to, or would be avoiding forums. Sorry about that.

Reply #259270 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754