HA!
Years ago

Funny Woodville @ Tigers on Sunday

Just a quick recap of the Mens game on Sunday.

Woodville got a quick start and lead 10-1 (maybe even 12-1?!) early in the 1st quarter. Birmingham came out shooting well, and Reeves had a couple of nice moves early.

Tigers gained an advantage in the 2nd term via a few long bombs in the last minute of the quarter from Clarke & Gerlach.

The 3rd was up & down. Tigers got it out to 10 or so, and Woodville brought it back. I think woodville ended up with 38 for the quarter.

Gerlach tried in the last quarter, but it just wasn't enough. He had to play cautiously in D, as he had 5 fouls. Bowley got some big tip-ins, but Woodville had the composure down the stretch to pull out a win.

Game notes :

- Woodville ran a 1-2-2 trap off of made FTs, which was quite effective. Tigers often got caught passing to corners and coughed it up a few times.

- Poor atmosphere at the Cage. Around 100 in attendance to see the 1st ABL game of the season.

- Gerlach got some silly fouls. Had 5 midway through the 3rd. Durant made the first 6 calls of the game. Wilson-Smith chimed in with a 50-50 over the back call after about 5 minutes.

- Puddifoot and Bowley had a good tussle. Puddifoot finished with 14 points & 16 boards, Bowley with 17 & 15. Puds fouled out with 2:52 in the game.

- Tigers new recruit, Matt Hardiman, looks like a decent pick up. Hurt his ankle after 3 mins of playing time, but was really getting up in warmups. Looks like a smooth lefty.

- Gary Birmingham (21 points, 4/7 3s) and Zane Reeves (13 points, 8 rebs) proved that Woodville's reserves program the past few years has produced some good ballers! Good to see the young chaps step up.

- Despite being talked up during the off season (and looking in great shape) Luke Hoban was very disappointing. 4 points & 6 boards.

- Josh Wood & Luke Mapunda came off the bench for Southern & Woodville, respectively and were quite effective. Wood with 12 points in 15 mins, Mapunda with 11 points & 6 boards in 23.

- Cam Wilson was without doubt the game MVP. 21 points and 11 assists, plus controlled the game beautifully for the Warriors. Definitely out played Clarke, who didn't have his best game.

- Last but not least, was great to see Panther out there. iPod cranking, smiling to himself as the Warriors hit nails in the Tigers coffin late in the game. The Orange & Purple shirt was stunning, too.

(Great write-up. Thanks for the effort!)

Topic #2178 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

well all I can say is congratulations to the warriors - men and women.

i had their bags packed

they have made me eat humble pie this week !

Reply #24604 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

Leon Karvelis looks to have the goods. Great job on Gerlach who found the hustle a bit hard to handle. Will be interesting to see how the guys go with no genuine big guy. Good luck to Brooks in his new job.

Reply #24639 | Report this post

HA!  
Years ago

Yeah Woodville did quite a good job on him. Leon & also Cam Wilson played him tough. Having said that, I think the Tigers need to get the ball in his hands more often. Good things happen when Snake gets creative, despite him being a little turnover prone. Still finished with 20 odd points and 6 boards though.

Also worth a mention was Ben Hodges who had a typically quiet 22 points & 7 boards.

Will be interesting to see how Tigers do against South this week. Woodville take on North which will be a good indication of where they really are. Perhaps North discards Birmingham & Mapunda will prove their worth to their old side.

Does anyone know if Hardiman will be ready to play next week?

Reply #24686 | Report this post

Great write up HA! Hope to see more of those as the season progresses.

Thought i'd chuck in my two cents...

Woodville certainly play an attractive style of defence and looked the far better side at that end of the floor virtually making the Tigers defence appear junior-like.

The game was one that seemed dominated by the guards. Birmingham and Wilson especially for the Warriors with cameo's from the supporting cast. Snake Gerlach was good for the Tigers and had to work extremely hard. Contrary to your comments HA! i believe that he needs to move off the ball more, perhaps in an Andrew Gaze style?

Ben Hodges played a great captains game. Quietly going about the business of racking up 22 points and a nice contribution on the boards. Between Pudds and Bowley there weren't too many going around so 7 was quite good for the undersized forward.

Hoban was seriously dissapointing i feel. I would have liked to have seen more protection from the Refs but regardless, he seemed passive on offence.

The difference for me in this game was the ability of the Woodville guards to play solid extended half court pressure defence.

Reply #24690 | Report this post

HA!  
Years ago

Brad does sometimes seem a little lazy off the ball. He also seemed a bit frustrated on Sunday as well, as Woodville did play him well. I think Brad's biggest strength though is breaking down his defender off the dribble (and after the dribble, the man has read the David Stiff playbook, that's for sure!) and creating shots for himself or team mates. Too often the ball is in Clarke's hands for too many of the 24 seconds.

Hoban was certainly disappointing. The refs weren't too flash, but it really didn't effect either team, I didn't think. I still say that Gerlach has to be one of the unluckiest guys in the ABL as far as getting calls goes.

Hardiman looked great in warmups! Seems to have nice elevation on his jump shot, and was throwing down some reverse jams.

Thought Braitwaite was OK in his 16 or so minutes, though I'm not sure his stats reflect it. I'd say Wood was probably worthy of more than the 15 minutes he got.

Reeves was the surprise packet for me. I knew Birmingham had game (though 21 points was a bit surprising!), but Reeves is an undersized big man who is largely untested at ABL level. Came out very confident (hit the 1st shot of the game, on a 16 foot pull up). and stayed tough throughout the game.

Reply #24692 | Report this post

cameron  
Years ago

HA!...not sure if you were at the same game as me....but generally if there is over 100 cars in the car park, it means there is more than 100 people at the game....and if you had a look around and knew how to count past 100....then you would have realised that there was over 200 people there....dear me!!

Reply #24705 | Report this post

rawr  
Years ago

Hardiman the hottie hopes to be up and ready within the fortnight, he was walking out on it and it appeared to be just a sprain.

Reply #24720 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Jay, hodges isn't captain anymore, he stepped down last week and was replaced by clarke, with hoban named as vice. HA!, i agree with cameron, u obviously don't have very good counting skills.

Reply #24732 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Great game to start the season. I think both teams can go back and take positives from the game.

I think that most under rated player in the contest was Ben Hodges! Played a great Ex-captains game. His shot selection was great, and I'm sure he shot well above 50%.

I was severely dissapointed in the refs. I'm sure I've seen that short dude make some seriouly WAK calls out in the social league. so how the hell he got an ABA gig I don't know.

My opinion of the Tigers this year is that they are a far deeper team. Taking out Pokie and bringing back the likes of Woody, and Mr Schmall Matty H has added big depth and big hops. Plus I feel that the breakout of Sherif Hobo is only a matter of weeks away. I think that those 3 boys should be attacking the rim a bit more tho. Does any 1 know woodys 3pt attempts to FG made? Admitted he hit some good shots but its like he just slot into Jingles catch and shoot mode.

Alas this week I'll be missing the game at Marion. I'll be there is spirit! I'll have a double black for yee!

How's Jingles going btw? Has anyone heard?

A 6 banger in a brown bags thanks!

Reply #24734 | Report this post

HA!  
Years ago

OK, so maybe 100 was a little under-estimated. But it certainly wasn't a rocking crowd like we have seen before at the Cage. There were still plaenty of viewing places vacant!

The number of cars in the car park could partly be due to the bike competition going on behind the stadium, as well? All I know is the atmosphere was pretty ordinary. In fact, I think the Woodville people were making more noise than the Tigers folks.

Hopefully more Tigers faithful will cram into Marion next week!

Reply #24740 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

J Bags, logon to the SEABL homepage and check out the box scores for news on Bo-Jingles. The lanky swingman is playing reasonable minutes and putting up reasonable numbers, without blowing everyone away (has to be expected - it's a tough league).

Memo to the Central ABL - the box scores down here are available not long after the game is finished. Wakey wakey folks!

Reply #24755 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The news on the Central ABL site has not been updated since September last year. No previews, no write-up, no stats.

To whoever is responsible for that site, if you are too busy to maintain it, please find a volunteer to assist. There has to be someone out there willing to put up some information. We know the game write-ups have been done (they're on the Sturt site), so almost anyone could get them online.

Reply #24767 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

"HA!" good to see you liked the shirt, I wore it especially for you (even though i've no idea who you are!). It was a great game to start the season off especially for the Warriors and their young players. Hopefully we'll see more. And being a ex tiger it was good to see those nails being hammered in, especially seeing as we play them this week.
But it was also good to see Woodville come out and make a statement first game to all those doubters!

Reply #24800 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Clubs are requested to e-mail stats and game reports to BASA within 30 minutes of game finishing, so they should have results of all games well before 9 am on Monday's.

Reply #24804 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are they also allowed (and/or willing) to email them to me? If so, I would put them online. Or set something up so that they could upload them instantly themselves.

It would really only work if all clubs were happy/able to do that though.

Reply #24811 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

I don't have a problem Isaac and I have sent Stats to you in the past, but South played away last week, but I will talk to all other Club Stats people to see if they will(can!) include you in their email list for games results.

Reply #24840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Much appreciated. I look at it this way -- people want to see them and in the best interests of the competition and health of SA basketball, they have to be put online somehow.

I can appreciate that the person who would normally do this may be too busy, so I'm one person offering to get them up for fans to see. Fingers crossed!

Reply #24841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754