LC
Years ago

What is going wrong in Chicago?

The Bulls were slated to be a playoff team, and some were even talking them up in the pre-season as a potential championship contender. Heck they took the C's to 7 games in the playoff's last year remember?

With a rapidly improving young centre in Noah, and ione of the best young NBA point guards in Derrick Rose, everything pointed towards a successful season for the Bulls.

What has gone wrong?

Has the loss of Ben Gordon in the off-season been a bigger factor than many anticipated?

Is it the early season nagging injurioes to key players?

Or did most people simply overrate the Bulls?

Topic #21822 | Report this topic

M0PPA  
Years ago

I think it's a combination of the loss of Ben Gordon off the bench and the fact that the Bulls over achieved in last years playoffs.

I think they are still 2 seasons away from a top 4 team in the east. They're still young.

Reply #260841 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

As a Bulls fan it hurt when they signed Vinny D as coach, and that pain hasn't wavered.

Reply #260845 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The loss of Ben Gordon was a big loss! People massively under rate him! The team is massively struggling for offense now, they are currently 3rd worst in the league.

Even Gordons Pistons with No Prince Or Hamilton have a better record then the Bulls!

The bulls will still make the playoffs due to being in a weak eastern conference. Ill find it funny if they don't.

Perhaps they should have given the injury plagued Deng's 12 million dollar salary to Gordon who they only gave 6 million and thats why he left.

Reply #260848 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I agree about Gordon though - his departure has had a massive impact on their scoring ability and team chemistry.

Maybe the Bulls did overachieve last season, but I would have thought they would not be rolling over and dying in games this season though...

Milwaukee have a better chance at making the playoff's than the Bulls!

Reply #260850 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Gordon is no loss at all.
Has done nothing to help the pistons.

The problem is simply that Rose has levelled off and not taken the next step...yet.

Deng is still getting into game shape.

Salmons has hit a vet wall.

Coaching is obviously a sore point right now, with players seeming to get into Rose's way.

Reply #260852 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

the problem with them is that everybody thinks that rose is something special when he is only an average point guard. They have overacheived the past few years too

Reply #260867 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Offensive sets are too slow and structured for their team . They should be running all over teams with Rose , Salmons , Deng and Noah all having up court speed .
When Ty Thomas comes back adding to Gibson , Johnson and Pargo that is enough depth and run .

When Miller is on he can trail the break and spot for a 3 ball or continue down to the post .

At the moment their is too much body movement clogging it up for Rose penetrating also Deng and Salmons slashing . They also don't feed Noah enough in the post .

He is shooting plus 53% and gives his all on the defensive end , time to reward that shit with some feeds , oh and he is a hell of a passer so Deng and Salmons should have no trouble moving off of that .

Vinny needs to loosen the grip as their defense is fine , let em burn .

Reply #260886 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I wonder what would be happening right now if D'Antonio had gone to Chicago instead of the Knicks?

Reply #260891 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Rose would be averaging a triple double.

Reply #260913 | Report this post

Bullsfan  
Years ago

Umm... because we dont have enough talent. Roses biggest problem is there is no spacing on the court, Salmons has lost his jumpshot and we have replaced Gordons dynamic perimeter game with Deng's slashing and 10-15 foot jumpers.

Anyone that doesnt think Gordon is a loss is crazy and obv dont watch the Bulls play. Oh and to say he hasnt made any difference to the Pistons is also silly. His first 10 or so games with them he was a league leader for opponent PER, and he plays for a total dysfunctional team. He is a flat out baller and our tight owner screwed us over again.

Reply #260925 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

One step back to take five steps forward. Give it time. We had to let Ben - an average defender but great offensive player - go to make room for ..... nah, I don't want to ruin the movie by telling you how it ends. You don't build a championship team overnight. Re the Celts' series, remember Garnett wasn't playing. Would've been a totally different story if he was healthy. Thomas has been horrendously out of sorts, doesn't seem to fit in. Del Negro remains an interesting coach. Don't panic though folks - not long now until Michael MkII comes home.

Reply #260933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An alternate view from a well-informed website:

"Let's forget Hinrich, Nocioni, Wallace and Deng and their contracts. Right now, Gordon is better than Derrick Rose overall and on offense, he obviously really helped him.

The defense was fine with Gordon at SG. Many people kept pointing this out over and over and over. There are 3 physical facets to defense, speed, height and strength. On two of those characteristics, Gordon was exemplary. He didn't get backed down and he didn't get beaten with speed. The problem with the Bulls defense is at PG, because Rose sucks and in the paint. That's why the Bulls defense is worse this year than last, despite changing the 2/3 to Salmons/Deng. The 2/3 defense wasn't the problem.

The Bulls could have given Gordon $9M to Gordon and forgot about the SG position for 6 years and dealt with more pressing problems.

The Bulls **** up. I really don't see how this can be debated. Right now, Hinrich isn't in Gordon's league as far as contribution and they are paying him the same amount and likely will for several more years.

This was one of the worst personnel evaluations I have ever seen in professional sports. I can't believe people still hang with the management line."

Reply #260939 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Oops, forgot to add name to last post. If anyone knows how to do the quote thingy, let us know!

Reply #260940 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Like it...

Reply #260950 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754