Dept
Years ago

What Was The Story With These Guys?

What's The Story With Al Green, Simon Cottrell & Mick Corkeron?

My memory of the Sixers before the Dunlap years is hazy at best. 

1) What was the story with Al Green in 1990?  He was a prolific scorer during the 1980's but it started to dip a bit in 1989.  I assumed he was feeling his age but in 1990 his scoring average fell to 10ppg.  Then he goes to Newcastle and averages 20+ and 18+ points per game in 1991 and 1992.  Obviously the guy could still play.  So, what was the story with Al Green in 1990?  Was he in the starting line up in 1990?  Did he play less minutes?  If so, why? And who took his minutes?

2) What was the story with Simon Cottrell in 1990?  Why was he on the Sixers team?  He played four straight seasons with the Cannons between 1986 and 1989 where he averaged between 13 and 20ppg.  He comes to Adelaide in 1990 and averages 8ppg and then goes back to Canberra for another 4 years where he seems to have played better than he did in Adelaide.  So, what's the story with Simon Cottrell in 1990?

3) What was the story with Mick Corkeron?  He played for Adelaide in 1991 and 1992 and his stats seem to say he didn't get a ton of minutes, averaging 5ppg and 2ppg and less than one rebound and one assist.  He then heads to Illawarra and averages over double figures between 1993 and 1995.  Then he disappears and never plays again.  So, what was the story with Mick Corkeron?  Why didn't he keep playing?

Topic #21857 | Report this topic

me  
Years ago

drugs, sex, rocknroll, you chose the order*

*joke

Reply #261380 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

theyre all the same person.. ooooooh

Reply #261390 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Actually there are some people out there who do care about the 36ers and their history. They are the fans who can recall losing the 1985 Grand Final and then watching on Free to Air TV the first Title in 1986 in what must be arguably the all time best season by a team in the NBL. I think their two losses for the season totaled only 3-4 points.

A combination of memory and a bit of research shows:

Al Green - certainly starting to feel his age in 1990 as he would have been in his early 30's by then. Other guards in the team were Darryl pearce, Scott Ninnis and Mike McKay who play both in the 3 and 2 spot. They would all have taken time off Al. In 1991, Butch Hays started with the 36ers so perhaps Al's replacement in some ways.

Simon Cottrell was signed by the management, not recruited by Coach Don Shipway. Therefore he got little time and left under one season. Anyone who ever played under Don knew that he had strong opinions.

Mike Corcoran was one of the first, if not the first, of the returning Aussie college boys to play in the NBL, certainly for the 36ers anyway. I recall that he had some back issues and never really coped with the transition from college ball to the NBL. I think he came originally from NSW so perhaps that is why he went back there when he was released prior to 1993 when Phil Smyth finally came back to Adelaide.

Reply #261404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corkeron was getting regular cortisone injections in one or both knees if i recall correctly. Never a good sign!

Reply #261417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754