AndyOG
Years ago

Andrew Bogut's Squad 6

On my travels in cyber space i stumbled across this blog entry from FRED BIERMAN of the New York Times about Andrew Bogut and his 'Squad 6' cheer squad at Milwaukee Bucks home games in the Bradley Centre this year.

Have a read.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/bucks-fans-respond-to-boguts-incentive/

It actually made me instantly recall those over enthusiastic New Zealand Breakers fans in the stands behind the Breakers bench at Brett Maher Court last Saturday night. And what about that over exubarent chest thumping by one Rick Rickert in the dying seconds of a game that the 36ers threw away? It was like he was going all Mama Cass on us and trying to give himeslf a heimlich!?!?

Maybe Balls should start a Squad 54 at the Powerhouse, Adelaide being renowned as a town full of spazzos who will do anything if something free is on offer, just don't expect me to join!.

If you go on YouTube and put in 'bucks squad 6' you can see what the 100 odd folk get up to during a Bucks home game.

Sqaud 6 must be so well received in Milwaukee, after all it is a city where the NHL ice hockey team is even named after brewers!, they are probably as beer loving as any Aussies.

I can't, however explain the New Zealand fans excitement to be in Adelaide, maybe they were intoxicated by the 'bright lights' of Hindley Street!

Topic #21863 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Summary for those too lazy to click the link: Bogut bought 100 tickets (likely subsidised by the club, but a nice story anyway) for every home game and gives them away to the loudest fans. They stand up and make noise all game:

Reply #261434 | Report this post

Bob Vance  
Years ago

Navy Seals?

Reply #261437 | Report this post

Bundy  
Years ago

You try hard and you want people to like you, but your demeanor just rubs people up the wrong way and nobody cheers for you, not even on your home court.

Q: What to do? Why doesn't anyone love me, mummy?

A: Best I don't answer that truthfully, little A, but here's an idea: Rent yourself a crowd and give them free seats! Surely they'll cheer for you then...

On the surface it seems generous.

Drill down and you may discover a sad, lonely young man, looking for acceptance...

Reply #261498 | Report this post

Siptare  
Years ago

Or how bout an atomosphere in Milwaukee's arena. I myself have travelled through Milwaukee and seen a handful of games last season. It was the most dead arena I have been a part of. Kudos to Bogues for buying tickets out of his own pocket(not comped by the club like some thing, check more articles). Bundy your tall poppy synd is at a all time high.

Reply #262375 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Get off the grog Bundy and give Bogut some credit for what he's achieved! I'll agree he's not a natural speaker and probably isn't a great people person, but not everyone can be like Andrew Gaze or Magic Johnson!

But there's a long way between Magic and the 'sad and lonely young man' you try to portray him as!

He still has plenty of friends and supporters in Milwaukee, Utah and Australia, and he doesn't look particularly sad to me the way he's playing - 31 and 18 just the other day speaks volumes for how he is feeling about himself right now!

Just accept Bogut for what he is - a great basketball player who has worked very hard to get to where he is. There's no need to wheel out your negativity and jealousy, it is just a waste of everyones time.

Reply #262381 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hear, hear Beantown.

Reply #262385 | Report this post

Jungy  
Years ago

I for one, respect Bogut very much for the simple fact that he is honest. Ask him a question he answers you. I may not agree with it all, but I respect that he is still a regular honest hard working person. Andrew Gaze and similar types are great blokes, but you will always get the political answer from them, and never their true opinion, which to me is shallow and more deceiving. On ya Bogues, what you see is what you get.

Reply #262490 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754