Me3
Years ago

Sturt going OK in the USA

Both of the boys teams are going ok with their tour,Varsity boys lost their first game however they were just off the plane.JV boys had the same result.

Both boys teams won against Hoggard High.

http://hoggardbasketball.com/index_files/sturt_at_hoggard.htm

Topic #21874 | Report this topic

duck  
Years ago

who are the teams and if known what players are playing

Reply #261597 | Report this post

Me3  
Years ago

Also won on Monday against north cross high

Reply #261678 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

There are 3 teams. Varsity boys is our Under 20s with Rhys Elliott (North) guesting for Corey Maynard and Lachlan Prest (South) guesting as well. Junior Varsity Boys range from 14 to 17 years and Varsity Girls are 14 to 17 years as well with two girls from Rowville Secondary College guesting.

Each team plays 9 to 11 games in 3 weeks starting with the number 2 ranked boys high school team in the country, Oak Hill Academy and ending in Charleston at a big tourney called the Roundball Classic.

The Varsity Boys are 2-1. The JV Boys are 1-1 and the girls are 0-2 at the moment.

Varsity Boys lost to Oak Hill 60-87 but performed creditably against a team of future D1ers and possible NBAers.Daly, Elliott 16 and Spehr 12.

We then beat North Cross in Roanoke VA 91-53. Elliott 28, Daly 20, Warbout 10.

We beat Hoggardt High 67-59 in Wilmington NC. They are a perrenial powerhouse 4A school in NC. Daly 19, Spehr 12, Kareta 11, Elliott 11.

Next game tommorow vs Ridge View High School in Columbia SC.

If you care (ie a Sturt club player or parent) I hope this was informative. If you don't no problems, don't click on this thread again.

Reply #261755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the update although I am not a Sturt "person". Good to hear Rhys is doing so well - just remember where he comes from!!

Reply #261756 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

No probs. If I get time I'll try to keep updating on our progress. Rhys has done very well and we are glad he can help us out for 3 weeks.

Reply #261758 | Report this post

foul line  
Years ago

Keep us updated i think it's good for a club to give the kid's one hell of a kick out of a basketball trip. WOW USA how goods that ! go kids. The only Sturt i like is the Sturt Footyclub, but good on Sturt Basketball club for not only taking there own but also inviting others from other clubs

Reply #261767 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

No guesses why they asked both Rhys and Lachlan to join them, I wonder how much pressure they will be putting on those two blokes to come and play for their club!!!

Reply #261794 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

Actually, neither will be accepted into sturt due to their travelling with the group.

Reply #261800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know how the girls team is going in US

Reply #261817 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Hey..just saw Sturt play Ridge View JV in Columbia, SC.

I have to say Sturt is an extremely talented bunch of basketball players.

Reply #261859 | Report this post

KAJ123  
Years ago

SB - Will you take another group in the future?

Reply #261913 | Report this post

zzzz  
Years ago

easy to look good when you have players that come from other clubs and call them your own owen-thomas..spher....elliot...a lad from tigers....

Reply #261914 | Report this post

ok  
Years ago

Your not really calling OT from another club are you. I think if you ask him he will say he bleeds double blue

Reply #261921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to the girls team who got their first win tonight in the tourney - through to the final! Not sure of the score but won by about 10.
Boys beat the hosts by a fair bit and play against one of the stronger teams in the country tomorrow in the final.

Thanks for your input 914...

Reply #261924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OT came from norwood ......

Reply #262006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SB if you get the heads up on any of the games being streamed by the host schools please let us know.

Reply #262022 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Not sure about that. None of them have been streamed as far as I know but other groups have had games streamed.

Another update. Ridge View in Columbia SC. They are an elite 4A school and for some reason decided to play their JV's against our Varsity. It was probably the roughest game I have ever seen. We won 60 to 35 but the aim was to not get injured. The JVs played their freshmen and sophomores and won comfortably. The girls ran into a very good team and lost by about 40.

We then travelled up to Charlotte NC for 2 JV boys games, and Rock Hill SC for the WCCS Christmas tournament.

JV Boys played United Faith's JV boys (without their nationally ranked freshmen and sophomores who were playing Varsity in Rock Hill) and won very comfortably. The following day though they played their four underclass studs and we had a great win by 2 despite being repeatedly dunked on.

In Rock Hill, the girls played much better. They beat WCCS by 6 and then United Faith by 4 to claim the tournament title.

The Varsity Boys beat the hosts Westmister Catawba 70 to 35 and then faced off against the pre-season NC #1 and defending State Champions in the final. United Faith beat John Wall's team in the final last year. Again despite a barrage of dunks, we countered with smart ball movement and great 3 point shooting (13 mades in 32 minutes). We were 2 down with a minute to go but they scored and we missed and it was all over. Still a fantastic effort against a quality team.

We head up to Winston-Salem tonight to see Wake Forest's ACC opener against NC State. Tommorow we head out to Trenton NC to play JOnes Senior High School before catching UNC vs Marshall at Chapel Hill the following day.

Reply #262071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OT I think played U10's with Norwood. zzzzz I hope you are not from Norwood - Have a look at what they have done in U12 D1's - 5 from other clubs out of 8 or 9.

Reply #262107 | Report this post

Triton 50  
Years ago

Looking forward to seeing Sturt in Charleston for the Roundball Classic. What type of team is the U20 boys? Perimeter game? Sounds like they shoot a lot of threes. Good height?

Best and safe travels,
Paul

Reply #262491 | Report this post

bigkaz  
Years ago

cant believe there is so many negative people re the team in america, who cares who plays, how well are they doing with guys that dont play with them to blend together at short notice to fill the teams. who was in the junior team and how did they go? we have heard lots about the seniors.

Reply #262999 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Tour ended well. Girls lost their first 3 games but rallied to win their last 7. They ended up winning the Cape Fear tournament in Wilmington, NC. Team consisted of Under 16, 18 and 20 Girls players so it took a while to come together but they played well when they did.

Junior Varsity Boys had 8 players, 4 (Under 20 D1 players) of whom played Varsity as well. The 4 JV only players were drawn from Under 16, 18 and 20 teams. They had a great tour going 9-1 winning the Cape Fear tourney and also had a great win against a very strong United Faith team in Charlotte NC.

The Varsity Boys were basically the current Under 20 D1 Boys and finished 8-3 placing 2nd in the Roundball Classic in Charleston SC at the end. Defeated Bishop England 77-39 in round 1. Defeated last year's finallist Pinewood Prep 80-56 in the semi before losing to the #2 ranked team in SC, West Ashley 59-68. Didn't play great in the final but that was our only down game of the tour.

Along the way the group saw 3 college game, 1 NBA game and a Duke practice where we met coach K. All in all a great tour and we hope we can do it again in the future.

Reply #263009 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I think it's fantastic these kids are given the opportunity to do so...and coaches too..

one day i plan to jump in on one of these tours...

Reply #263024 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754