YoYo
Years ago

NBL mid Season Report

With most teams just getting over half way i thought it may be interesting to get everyones takes on were teams are at.
Wollongong 14 9 5 64.29

The over achiever's by far. Who would have predicted this?

Perth 15 9 6 60.00

Always going to be solid and with Young added have potential to go all the way

Gold Coast 16 9 7 56.25

Not enough to win it all IMO but will shape the top four and could by the smokey

Townsville 18 10 8 55.56

see Blaze

Adelaide 16 8 8 50.00

when and if they eventually click can destroy a team but also can destroy themselves in the process

New Zealand 17 8 9 47.06

the league under performers thus far. what is wrong over there?

Cairns 18 7 11 38.89

roster was never going to be strong enough long term , but they do get the odd suprise w

Melbourne 14 4 10 28.57

betting Semus aint to pleased. A danger team if it all comes together for the late surge, but is it all too late? Will Hodge last? Will Wortho continue to phone games in?

Topic #21886 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks - McKee is leading the charge with an MVP like season and with veterans Saville and Campbell they look solid. The worry is whether they lose a few at home and begin to stumble and question themselves.

Wildcats - To me they look like the best team on paper. Redhage has not had to carry the load with Weigh, Wagstaff and now Schenscher picking up the load. Young is a strong forward who will add size and power inside.

Blaze - They were on a brilliant roll until Adelaide beat them at home in a game the Blaze were never in. Goulding, Demos, Harvey, Gibson, Ubaka and Maxey have this team rocking and enjoying the game. With the addition of Bradshaw and bullocking forwards in Anthony Petrie and Vukona the Blaze are dangerous.

Crocodiles - This team had a few hiccups at home but has been brilliant on the road. A pair of wins in Melb, one in Cairns, NZ and on the Coast they are forming a strong road record. Williams is an MVP candidate and Roberts is starting to flourish

Adelaide - Lack the weapons to make a run at the finals and unless Groves fires up they're gonna fall short again.
Cairns - Are nowhere near the firepower of every other team but have stolen a few wins and played some good home games. Melzer and Mills have been highly ridiculed but in my opinion alongside Rychart have been the few highlights.
Melbourne - They have 3 matchwinners however nothing has looked like working. Hodge is doing his own thing and Anstey will want his shots as he gets fitter. And then theres Wortho...
New Zealand - The apparent favourites have dropped 3 on the trot at home and are shaky. Everytime knows they can be let back into the game as NZ have not shown they can finish a game strong

Reply #261862 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

It's only after watching Hodge across two teams that you start to see how complex it gets having him in a team.

He was good for Adelaide in his 1st Season when he he was the centrepiece and had just one other person to go to for scoring. 2nd season showed how bad it tends to get when there are too may stars and all of them are the focal point of the plays. Too many options to go to and too many people who need the rock to be affective.

I think Melbourne are having the same issues now. Having Anstey, Worthington, Hodge, Mackinnon and Croswell on the same team with Ballinger, Schensher, Maher and Hodge; you've got 4 people on the team who can all be the "go to" guy yet you have at least 2 of them who need to either run the play or have the play run through them.

Hodge is a great player (ignoring the fact he is still an idiot) but if he's joining a team that contains enough centrepieces, his effectiveness is fairly poor.

Considering how the league is stacked on each team this year, probably not the best year for him in the league. Will be better in a year or two when other franchises sign on and the "pool dilutes".

Reply #261871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt any NBL team will bother with Hodge again after this season.

Reply #261880 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hawks aren't over-achievers.

Reply #261882 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

Haven't looked closely at all teams' runs home. I've just focused on Adelaide.

I reckon teams will need at least a 15-13 win-loss record to make the finals. That means Adelaide needs a 7-5 finish to the season, or better. Our run home is:

Wildcats - away (tonight)
Wildcats - BMC
Hawks - away
Wildcats - BMC
Taipans - BMC
Blaze - away
Tigers - away
Breakers - away
Tigers - away
Crocodiles - BMC
Crocodiles - away
Hawks - BMC

My guess is they will go 7-5 or 6-6, winning 1/3 against the Wildcats, 1/2 against the Crocodiles, 1/2 against the Tigers, 1/1 against the Taipans. I think they'll win one out of the Breakers and Blaze games and 2/2 against the Hawks.

However, it's easy to see them going 4-8 if they slip into the sort of funk they were in , leading up to last Wednesday's game. I can't see them doing better than 7-5, unless other teams have some injury problems with star players.

Reply #261916 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754