XztatiK
Years ago

NBL MVP Race

It's looking like a really close race this year, whos' your pick at this stage? Here's my top 10:

1. John Gilchrist: Biased? Yes. But the Pitbull is putting up brilliant numbers in all three major categories and gaining some consistency as the year goes on. He's carried the Sixers to a few wins by himself and just edges out Ty McKee as the best PG to this point.

2. Adam Ballinger: Still biased? Yes. Balls has easily been the best big man in the league this year. Started a bit slow, but is getting better as the season goes on. Looking much more aggressive lately, particularly on D and is putting up huge numbers.

3. Tywain McKee: The 2nd best PG. Hasn't quite been able to keep up his early season form and has been quite inconsistent of late. Still worthy of a top 3 spot the way he runs that team.

4. Corey Williams: Homicide has been up and down all year. Dominant at his best but considering how reliant the Crocs are on him, his inconsistency has been an issue.

5. CJ Bruton: A fair season considering he's been carrying an injury all year. Always clutch and has been the gamebreaker several times.

6. Shawn Redhage: Turnovers and misses have hurt his ranking here but he's still putting up the points.

7. Ayinde Ubaka: Had people wondering how he was going to fit in before the season started but has slotted in at SG and backed up Gibbo nicely. Pretty much a complete package for a combo guard.

8. Mark Worthington: Was having a pretty solid year until Judas came along and, as expected, hurt his output. If it wasn't for the Tigers' shocking record he'd be higher.

9. Rick Rickert: Beginning to play a bigger role as the Breakers' sole inside force. Will need to continue in this manner if they decide not to import some help.

10. Rolan Roberts: Gets the nod just ahead of Schensch thanks to his far superior Defence. Took a while to find his feet on his new team but has been an absolute beast of late. The best shot-blocker in the league and a strong rebounder.

Honourable mentions to Schensch, Petrie, and Phillll Jones.

Whatcha think?

Topic #21909 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

tywain mckee is the clear leader for mine

Reply #262193 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

McKee over Homicide over Gilchrist for mine.

Reply #262196 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wheres Kirk Penney in this conversation?

He is easily the most consistent scorer in the league, which is funny because you'd think that because he is a shooter he would have good and bad shooting games..Still finds other ways to score.
Was impressed how he came back frm injury and led the team in scoring the next 2 games ( 20 + points in both games i think)

The Breakers sub-par season (if it continues) may hinder his chances however. I like Ty McKee, simply because he is the MOST VALUABLE player. No one was talking the Hawks up with their pre-season roster of local players, then they got an import and have done an amazing job..If you took him out of the Hawks team they would be dismal.

Reply #262197 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Penney's only played 9 games.
Compared to Cairns who've played 19 or Townsville and New Zealand who've played 18.
It's only possible for him to play 21 of 30 games. Shouldn't be enough to be eiligible to win.

Reply #262199 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

MACDUB - In previous seasons,votes are cast after each game which would make it very unlikely that Penney will win, having missed so many games already.

Reply #262200 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Mckee for mine. Hawks shouldnt be in any positive discussions this season...BUT THEY ARE, and its all because of Ty.

Reply #262202 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's unlikely to be Tez

Reply #262207 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I think everyone's underrating the rest of the Wollongong roster. It's a great team! Ty McKee's a huge part of that, yes, but I wouldn't say he's carrying them. Just because people weren't tipping the Gong to do this well doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

FYI Gilchrist beats McKee and Homicide in Rebounds, assists and blocks amongst others and averages 0.8pts less than McKee.

Virtualsports fantasy scoring is a pretty good measure of performance I think:

Gilchrist: 40.8
Balls: 39.4
McKee: 36.3
Homicide: 37.2
CJ: 34.4
Redhage: 35.4
Ubaka: 31
Wortho: 32.5
Rickert: 34.2
Roberts: 29.3

McKee has been a star, don't get me wrong, but I think Gilchrist has a big case here.

Reply #262208 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's a few of those name just sneaking under the radar. Leaders according to NBL:

PPG: McKee (19.5)
FG%: Rickert (59.9)
FT%: Ubaka (88.2)
3P%: Ng (47.3)
OR: D. Johnson (3.2)
DR: Holmes (5.8)
TR: Holmes (8.1)
AS: Gilly (4.5)
ST: Saville Road (1.5)
TO: Redhage (3.2)
BS: Roberts (1.6)

Reply #262209 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

McKee isnt carrying them.....

Yesterday arfternoon was proof enough that he does. I think in the last 1/4 he had 18 points himself and assisted in all the others.

Without McKee the Hawks are toast.

Gillchrist is good, at times very good, but no way will he win the MVP

and as for Ubaka - at this stage Id say that Petrie is teh Coast MVP, Ubaka has been great and is exciting to watch but its Petrie who has been consistent and held the group together. Will any coast player feature in the league MVP?? NO. The Coast team is very even with everyone popping up at different times to do their bit without having an individual standout player.

Reply #262211 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Chuck Gilchrist into that spot and the Hawks will do just as well. There, I said it.

Reply #262213 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

X its almost impossible for this discussion to not always come back to Gilchrsit is your MVP. But never forget his team is barley above 50% and he has gone on spurts of really poor decision making so far this season. It may be on the improve, but not MVP worthy candidate just yet.

Reply #262214 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

i'd vote for McKee, although Gilchrist is awesome an maybe a lil unfairly gets tagged with his stats lookin better than he's played, but hey ya cant complain with either, but then also think of how terrible the 6ers would be without Ballinger, so maybe he deserves it. i predict a 3-way tie lol

Reply #262215 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol I'm willing to be swayed.

But I think you can say those things about McKee too. Similar record and Ty has had some shocking cold patches. Wollongong are a bit more dependant on him than Adelaide are on Gilchrist I concede.

Reply #262216 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Adelaide are just as, if not more dependant on Gilchrist, and its not like theyve had a choice either! He has gone for massive patches where he wont pass the ball! Its been a case of him or nothing offensively. I just hope he has turned it around now, not just for 2 games, but for the rest of the season. As good things could come of it.

Swayed? Saville is over the hill, and Cam altho able to get going, isnt a game breaker. Ty IS, and the hawks have become accustomed to his game play.

There wont be a real clear cut MVP candidate this year like previous years, perth have to many good team players almost cancelling eachother out to a degree, Ubaka is tough and can take over a game for the GC but after that, no one really standouts for me. Itll come down to how the MVP will be judged this season, team success a big factor? If not Penney is worth a mention too.

Reply #262218 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'It's unlikely to be Tez' Jack Toft - GOLD ! LOL.
The ole days are gone forever for our forgotten hero.

Interesting reading the above - tooo close too early to call.

Reply #262224 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Gilchrist isn't MVP material

Reply #262230 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

You'd have to give it to McKee at the moment. If the Sixers go on a swing now and win the next 4-5 games straight and Gilly is displayed as the catalyst for it; then you're talking an MVP.

Stats are definately a factor; provided in turn that it contributed to some level of success for the team. Hodge probably has the best line out of everyone in the league; but as a team player, he hasn't done squat for them. He won't get a look in; and probably never will unless he can get his team on a winning streak.

Depending on the shape the rest of the season takes, it's Mckee with Gilly chomping at the heels. No matter what happens, the winner will be a PG this year.

Reply #262231 | Report this post

Gravity Man  
Years ago

In my order for MVP race......

1.McKee
2.Ballinger
3.Corey Williams
4.Gilcrist
5.Ubaka

Worthington will finish in Top ten

Reply #262237 | Report this post

Djrod  
Years ago

I always put the test of 'if you take a player out of the team, how would they go'

if u apply that, the top 3 would be McKee, Ballinger and Homicide

Reply #262238 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Early predictions would have said Homicide to take out the MVP this year, but now he's a bit rocky.

I'd love this year to be Ballinger's year for a League MVP but the guards are just tearing things up this year.

Reply #262239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For those who are saying Gilchrist is not MVP material but at the same time he is leading fantasy scoring with his stats overall being good, is that then an indictment of the quality of the league??

Reply #262246 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

"Ballinger reaffirmed his credentials as MVP candidate" - NBL today.

Reply #262248 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

BIG BALLS FOR SURE

Reply #262251 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm a bit biased, but I choose Balls especially with his form of the last 2-3 games chasing blocks, tough defence, screaming, pumping his fists etc.

Reply #262252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Williams is my selection as MVP as I think he is on an even keel with any other player in the league, is becoming the face of the league as he has been here 3 years and is a larrikin and I think the Crocodiles will make the finals unlike Wollongong and Adelaide.

Williams, McKee, Ballinger, Worthington are all even therefore the team that finishes highest should receive the accolade.

Reply #262281 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754