Isaac
Years ago

36ers vs Cats this Sunday, Guy Sebastian pre-game

Tough game against one of the league's best and deepest teams this Sunday. This is the one Sunday game of Adelaide's 09/10 schedule and the game tip-off is 2:30pm.

For those interested, the 36ers have sprung for a solid pre-game performer in local Guy Sebastian. While Guy might not be everyone's cup of tea (my vote for Dimmu Borgir was quickly ignored - probably something to do with venue acoustics...), he's now pretty accomplished as far as Australian male vocalists go, conspired with some known artists abroad, had chart success and the like.

From 1:15pm on Sunday, he'll be performing an acoustic set on centre court.

Now, for Guy's full concert in Feb, tickets are around $75-100. This 36ers acoustic performance is at no additional cost to the usual 36ers ticket.

With two-adults-two-kids family tickets starting from just $50 (total, for four people) for pre-booked silver tickets, this is quite the steal. If you know any Guy Sebastian fans (they must be out there - someone's buying those albums!) make sure they know about this pre-game concert and the exceptional value on offer.

Edit: Oops, got the wrong time. The start of Guy's performance is at 1:15pm.

Topic #22023 | Report this topic

Number 44  
Years ago

Good to see the 36ers trying to fill the stadium this week with so many free tickets. But it does make me wonder, are they devaluing the tickets?

Reply #263579 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the majority of freebies are going to Guy Sebastian fans who will (hopefully) hang around to watch the game, I don't think it's a huge issue. I think a bigger problem is the timing of the game - Perth are at full strength while Adelaide could be a couple of players down. If it's not a competitive game, it doesn't leave new fans with a brilliant impression.

Reply #263580 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was a bit off with the time. Guy's gig will start up at 1:15 rather than 1:30, so make sure you're on time.

Reply #263581 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Just curious Number 44, how many free tickets are being given away? Yes, there are a few passes going for the game on Channel 9, but they pay for themselves by advertising the game. Outside of that, nothing out of the ordinary.

Currently the second highest selling game of the season (that's tickets sold, not tickets issued). Compared to last year, a hell of a lot less freebies going.

Reply #263582 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I don't hate Guy but when he sings that annoying-as-hell 'Like it like that' I'll have to go out for a smoke... and I don't even smoke.

Reply #263591 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I'll make sure I turn up at the right time...

...5 minutes before tip-off.

Reply #263595 | Report this post

enonymous  
Years ago

damn its going to be hot in the dome on Sunday, hope the ac is switched on early

Reply #263596 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Hey Hems,

The guy on the radio last week said "literally hundreds so if you want a ticket it's not hard to win one".

He said it almost laughing at how many they had.

Anyhow, I think it is a great move by the 36ers to try and get some fresh blood supporting the team, hopefully they put on a great effort. I've always said if anyone can get the 36ers going again it's Ben Fitz, if he can't I don't think anyone will be able to.

Reply #263602 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Also to add to my above post, i believe this is part of Ben's 3-5 year plan, I think everyone knew there wouldn't be sellouts this season, but hopefully in years to come tickets will be harder to come by then they are this year.

Reply #263603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dimmu Borgir? Nice, I would've preferred Converge myself ;)

Reply #263604 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

free tickets after the last game against perth thats the only way i see this game -
the effort had better improve this game because it was heart breaking last game

Reply #263616 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I'd rather poke my eyes out with a spoon than listen to Guy Sebastion, his name says it all, I don't even need to insult him

Reply #263635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy or not i'll be there

Reply #263641 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Wonder if Guy is still charging $10,000/song appearance fees.

Apparently Guy has been a bit of a 36rs fan growing up. Mark Nash remembers him before Oz Idol days...Nashy said he played some pick up ball out the back of your Entertainment Centre at an event they were both performing/speaking at & apparently the young Guy was chuffed to meet a 36r.

Reply #263663 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That's good if he's a Sixers fan. Give him a few shots. He was pretty good at Slowdowns. Can he dunk?
Anyways - In our favour is Perth played a tough game on Friday night and travelled Saturday.
I'd have Holmes on the bench and he have 5 or 6 mins , as u23 garlepp are not lighting up the League

Reply #263675 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

Perth are coming off a bone crunching game on friday. There was alot of physical contact and alot of sore bodies.I think the fresher 6ers will probaly run away with it in the second half as much as it pains me to say it.

Reply #263700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel, I've seen Guy Sebastian play in a Slowdown before and he was even worse than Lleyton Hewitt. Erin Phillips has more footy ability than either one of them. I still remember her playing footy with the boys during her school days and not only was she one of the better players but probably the toughest too.

Reply #263711 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

My son was watching the first slowdown on tv as I was getting some tea ready and he was about 5 or 6. I dis-remember the exact year. "Dad" he called out . "Port have got 22 players on the ground and one of them is a girl!" I didn't believe him,of course. But when I went to have a look, he was right and Erin sure played great.

Reply #263726 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

This is my thirs attempt at the live feed for the season. Yeah, it ain't working. Good to see somethings in life never change.

Reply #263750 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

anyone got the stream working 'cos mine certainly ain't! Frustrating...!!

Reply #263752 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

ours isnt either

Reply #263753 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

Finally working, looked good for 3 minutes, now it freezes every 3 seconds.

Reply #263755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mine is working fine

Reply #263757 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

has adelaide got a good internet connection?? seems everytime we get rivus for adelaide games it doesnt work properly. i'll be sure to send rivus an email and let them know my frustrations. didnt even get to see the last few minutes of the second quarter.

Reply #263758 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

mine stops and starts all the time, but is more stopped!! Audio is fine and continues, but not a lot of visual.

Would love to have seen the Robbins/Gilchrist biff - can someone describe it for me?

Reply #263759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

typical last quarter choke

Reply #263761 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

6ers have thrown away a good chance at a win yet again...

Reply #263762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when are they going to recruit a team that can play four quarters

Reply #263763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you know when Ng is your second hightest rebounder in game youve got problems. No offence to NG

Reply #263764 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

Great win by the tierd cats. i'm really suprised we won considering the travelling and we played a bone crunching game less then 48 hours ago.I guess you cant write off the Cats heart this year. they'll give it there all night in night out.

Reply #263765 | Report this post

Kevin Malone  
Years ago

2/16 from behind the arc and 19 turnovers isn't gonna win you many games!

Reply #263766 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Sums up season!
Full of promise for 3/4, only to capitulate in 1 dreadful period.
Can it get any worse?

Reply #263767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go 'cats!

Reply #263769 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It can get worse if the 6ers miss out on a place in the finals...

Reply #263770 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

It's still likley they can make it. the Hawks are not going to make it now. McKee was there engine so there gone. it's gonna come down to them, Breakers or Tigers for the 4th spot.Most likley Scenario would be the BREAKERS v ADELAIDE FOR THE 4TH SPOT.

Reply #263771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I can understand the logic of putting a cheap team on the floor (in the hope the Sixers faithful will turn up regardless) but you've got to spend money to make money and I doubt this seasons efforts will bring in any new fans, if anything the crowds are down on what they were last season.

The Sixers stream is yet another example of this. All season other teams have run basically perfect streams yet the 36ers still dish up pathetic streams. How about spending a few dollars on it to get it right instead of taking the piss all season?

Reply #263772 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

My hands were sweaty and I wasn't even playing.
Still , a wonderfull first half. Had a bit of everything. Except the refs who soon lost all control.
Groves came out firing - and 10 players had a bit of biffo. Catt tunneled Groves while Schenscher fouled hin, so he threw one. Plenty of singlet strechtes. While Schenscher was allowed to jump up and down with the ball, and that used to be travel.
Don't know what happened at half time, for I don't think we scored for 5mins, then we couldn't shoot standing under the basket or control the ball and the refs called every little touch. A terrible second half. Maybe Ballinger is a better player than Redhage is about all I can say now, after having a great time in the first half and a lousy time in the second half.

Reply #263774 | Report this post

CHEAP??  
Years ago

"Cheap team on the floor"

You've got Ballinger - who would still be one of the premier imports in the league (if still an import) then you've got Gilchrest who depending on the week has Adelaide fans calling him MVP, not a bad One-Two punch.

Then you've got Groves, who would probably have asked for more than what a team like Hawks pay their imports COMBINED!!

=======

"but you've got to spend money to make money"

Nice Marketing 101 logic.. how has that worked for teams in the past?

How were the crowds Kings got when they were on target for 72-10?

What about the Bullets Dream team a few years back?

The Tigers dynasty couldn't even fill a 1800 seat tin shed.

Reply #263775 | Report this post

Dief  
Years ago

Another loss by the sixers due to pathetic coaching once again.
Do we have any plays or just wait to see what happens?
Do the words 'time out' actually exist in their vocabulary?

What contract is Ninnis on?

Reply #263776 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I am so sick of this shit. It is the same basic loss over and over again. A gutless 2nd half effort. You'd think we'd run out the game better after 10 days off, but no. If Ninnis is coach next season the club can stick season tickets up its ass. But, a good win from Perth, who I hope win the title.

Reply #263777 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

We are awesome !

Pffffffffffff

Reply #263778 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

This is happening waaaay too often!

You have to think the heat played apart in the end, the way Perth rotated their players (no one over 30mins), while the 6ers only had 8 players to run. Ninnis did the right thing by resting Gilchrist for almost the entire 3rd quarter but it wasn't enough.

That little run by Groves and Burston in the first quarter was the best stretch of play I've seen this year! Absolutely brilliant stuff! All it took was Redhage to act like a little girl and Robbins to start a fight for that momentum to disappear. As much as the crowd got into it then, I don't think it helped at all.

Burston: FINISH!!!!!!!! FFS! He was doing everything right EXCEPT finish his work at the rim. Terrific rebounding and some handy steals.

Balls: One of those games where he just didn't get the ball enough. His turnovers were costly but when he's like that I want him taking 15+ shots. And post him up!!! That was probably his fault but please! He would've destroyed Gay Young in the post!

Herbert: Solid. It wasn't his best defensive night. For anyone else you would've said it was fantastic but obviously he sets the bar pretty high.

Ninja: Not terrible. He looked really strong in there getting some boards and not taking any crap from the dirty Wildcats. Could've been hit a few more times on cuts when he was wide open. Unlucky there.

Gilchrist: We saw both sides of *not Pitbull* tonight, when he was angry and aggressive in that first half, some of the stuff he did was just amazing. Made you feel sorry for D-Mart and co. But then the turnovers kicked in, and they're just completely unnecessary turnovers!!! It's not like he's trying to make a really difficult pass, he's just tripping over or dropping the ball out of bounds. Overall pretty average.

Coop: Great game! Can't ask for much more than that in 14mins of the bench.

Hill: Apart from one HORRIBLE turnover he was ok. Not great but ok. Played some nice D on Cattalini at times.

Cortez: Well it was almost a good game. Ignore the turnovers and missed free-throws and it was great! I was extremely happy to see him penetrating again (worked every time) and he played the pick & roll with Burston/Cooper very well. His misses at the line were baaaad though.

Wildcats: Redhage is a dirty dirty girl! I laughed when he got mad at Gay Young in the 4th quarter for mouthing-off at the refs. How about leading by example Shawn?
Robbins was a bit of a dickhead during those little biffs.
Wagstaff needs to get a new role-model, Redhage's eyes must twinkle everytime he sees his protoge take a dive.
Schenscher was big, hopefully for them he's out of Beveridge's dog house now.
Weigh = star.

Refs: Not great. I'm puzzled as to how they missed so much dirty work by Redhage, Wagstaff and Young under the ring. Good luck getting a rebound when you're pinned to the ground! They were bloody obvious too I just don't see how you can miss them. Add some very confusing tech fouls on Gilchrist and Cortez and you have a pretty poorly officiated game. I still have no idea what Tez did wrong the time he was shoved by Cattalini after getting fouled hard.

Damn it's hot!

Reply #263779 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

I think I'm done with the Sixers.... I dont even care anymore. Only reason I attended was my mate was over from interstate and wanted to see the game.

I think I'll buy a second footy membership next season to helpt eh club I'm really passionate about.

Reply #263780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've got Ballinger - who would still be one of the premier imports in the league (if still an import) then you've got Gilchrest who depending on the week has Adelaide fans calling him MVP, not a bad One-Two punch.

I betya Balls wont even stay next season!

Reply #263781 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

I cant understand why we persist continually with imports. Dorothy Gail from Kansas with red shoes was woeful today and for a lot of the games even when we won. Johnny cries for fouls and then loses out altogether. While I am a fan of Brad Hill, um..... all I can say is there are players worse than you mate but I wonder, i really do. Herbie, gotta love the brad davidson tenacity. Thats why the Geelong Supercats won so many years in a row down there. Next year, go after Mark Leader for coach, SOS. Save yourself the worry and strain and the fans anxiety.

Reply #263782 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Then you've got Groves, who would probably have asked for more than what a team like Hawks pay their imports COMBINED!!"

That's straight up wrong mate. He's probably on a little more than Gruber but that's all.

I can tell you the 6ers are not spending the cap this year. Not that I have any problem with that at all considering the off-season happenings.

Reply #263783 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

How many were at the game?

Reply #263786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gilchrist had 6 turnovers - no mention of that but plenty of criticism when Hodge does it.

Reply #263787 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

If we hit any of our FT we are in that game. You could have got a bunch of junior players to shoot better from the line today.

Gilly needs to pull his head in as well, sulking on the bench after the game instead of shaking hands, and having to be directed to the team huddle is pretty bad. I have lost my time with him really, he has good aspects to his game but as a collective I'm not sure they are better than his bad attributes.

Reply #263788 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Gilchrist had 6 turnovers - no mention of that but plenty of criticism when Hodge does it."

Firstly, nearly everyone has mentioned it (including me). Secondly, Judas does it every game, not just on a bad night.

Reply #263790 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Lastly for me, where is the D half the time? Perth were in our faces all day, and yet Cortez and John are standing 6 feet away. We dont get to advance with pressure but they do and half the time, they were open for 3's. What exactly do we do at training Scott and how do we preapre for wednesday nights last foxtel home game? Bet the post match interview was all roses and chocolates!!!

Reply #263791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CHEAP??,

Are you a 36ers stooge? Gilchrist was not in a position to demand the kitchen sink given his history. This is the first any team in the league has seen of him so wouldn't be on serious money. Groves is only here because he came CHEAP no one else was interested in him because they knew he was done. He's probably the second worst import in the whole league and any half-serious team would've cut him months ago.

Which leads me to this. Because the new owners are trying to spend as little money as possible (quite evident) they refuse to replace Groves. That would imply he's on a no-cut contract which as you recall Boti lambasted the previous owners/administration for with Tyndale. Or Groves is on such little money that they know no other potential import would play for the same amount? Take your pick.

No one is saying you have to break the bank but not playing the fans for chumps would be nice. Not interseted in Marketing 101 (spin) but Business 101 says you have to spend money to make money.

Reply #263792 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

According to nbl.com.au - Attendance 5,627

If that's accurate, that's pretty good for such a hot day, looks like the concert might have helped a fair bit..

Reply #263794 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think they gave a lot of tickets out, but regardless it was a good crowd. Just cos they have not cut Tez does not mean he had a no cut clause. They might just want to save their money and are not going to replace him, he was far from the worst player today.

Reply #263795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way Gilchrist carries on is embarrassing. His behaviour is really over the top.

Reply #263796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to be pedanti, Judas (as you call him X) doesn't have 6 turnovers every game. He had 3 in his last game and led the game in scoring, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks - handy game.

Reply #263797 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

Hodge for all he's immature faults, is still better then Gilchrist.

Reply #263798 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Guy was great.

Season over for Sixers. Decision time now. Look to next season IMO

Today's game was lost when we ran out of legs and also 3points. We ran with 8, cats with 10 on a hot day. Either give Molly a run, or get another u23. Why bring in Garlepp to warm the bench ? Once again "tricky dicky" seemed to be the one making the big calls. What's going on?

Reply #263799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't blame the imports, and I hope Ninnis doesn't blame his team for their effort when the coach should be taking responsibility for his own actions. Very poorly coached in the last 3-4 minutes. Poor pressure, far to slow offence, no fouls to make Perth earn their points? Terrible

Reply #263801 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

The Ninnis coaching decisions are getting worse every game.

This is a game we could have won, yet looked no chance to do so despite being close in the fourth quarter.

The lack of any form of organization on offense is a reflection on the coach, not on the playing group. The Wildcat's defense is not that good, just physical. They overplay the ball all the time.

Hasn't anyone heard of a backdoor play against these guys?

Ninnis must take the blame for this one. Several puzzling decision remain...

Why was Gilly benched with 5 minutes to play in a must win game? The next play, Groves fires an ill-advised 3 after dribbling down the clock. Enough said

When you are 10 points down, with 2 and a half minutes to go, why isn't the best 3 point shooter on the team in the game? Darren was subbed in way too late to make a difference. Could have spaced the floor and thrown the ball into the post ..... then again .....

Why isn't the ball going into the post for Balls for all the big plays down the stretch? The wildcats are guarding him one-out with a guy on 4 fouls (Redhage) or a lumbering centre (Schenscher). Failing that, a 2 man game on the wing would be good. I'm not sure why other teams can grasp these simple concepts and we can't?

We are also missing 2 for 1 opportunities on a weekly basis. Clearly this is not a play Ninnis believes in, or he just keeps forgetting. We rush a lot of shots anyway, except when there is 40 seconds left in the quarter!

Finally, the lack of intensity from all the players today was a disgrace. When its one or two guys, it may just be their attitude. When its the whole team with their heads down, its the coach. If Ninnis can't motivate the guys, or coach the X and Os, then what is his function?

What's Voldemort doing at the moment?

Reply #263802 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Normally I would take the time to post something somewhat lenghty on here, but I have finally given up sadly. I look at the way other teams move the ball, their offences, their hustle, then I look at our crap. Really Ninnis, what on earth do you have the guys doing at training? I know it surely can't be practicing foul shots (Groves, your shots from the line were simply embarrassing, let alone your jump shot attempts).
Once again we have hung onto our so called imports for way too long. Not sure about others, but I am sick to death of watching Gilchrist trying to do it all himself.
And as for Brad Hill, well as soon as he went on court today, it was obvious that he was not ready to play. Has not progressed whatsoever this year, which can only be attributed to coaches.

Reply #263804 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I'm being pedantic anon? Why argue when we have raw facts:

Gilchrist averages 2.5 turnovers per game (not bad at all for the primary ball-handler), Hodge averages 4.6. He's had almost as many turnovers as Gilchrist in half the amount of games and he'll most-likely end up leading the league even despite missing the first 9.

Please.

Reply #263805 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I didn't realise that Burston dropped the ball on Redhage that started the push and shove from all players - 'til I just saw it on the news.
How was the crowd support for our team in the first half LOUD.
It's funny how things never turn out the way you had 'em planned , for at half time we thought we were in for a ride for a great,close rough house game.
After half time we looked a little lost, perhaps other than Cooper and Ballinger we shot poorly and Burston terribly. I didn't think we we were in it in the second half - looks like I might've been wrong, perhaps Cooper kept us in the game. Then Burston fouled out and down to 7 tired looking players, finishing terribly.

Reply #263807 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I am sick of the fade outs and mental weaknesses. I've been putting up with it for 4-5 seasons now under 2 different coaches.

I am starting to get annoyed with the coaching and I'm now ready to concede open mind about getting a new coach. I didn't understand some of the moves by Scotty today.

The referees were poor today as always even minus the Monopoly guy. Too many soft touch fouls called in the 2nd half. The Wildcats played dirty and the referees turned a blind eye to lot's of it. They seem to get worse every year and every game. I find them to lack consistency and call it too one-sided and usually against Adelaide.

Balls didn't receive the basketball enough today.

Darren Ng was brought into the game far too late in the final quarter to try to shoot something for us.

Gilly turned it over a bit too much, falling over, slipping etc. It's not the first time these slips and falls have happened while dribbling.

I was pretty happy with Cortez today despite the missed free throws. I liked his penetrating to the basket.

I'm really getting sick of these home losses. We should have won much more of them this season especially with the upcoming road schedule.

Our season is over and we will not make the playoffs. There is no way we can make it now with the upcoming road trip.

Reply #263808 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Then only thing worse than our coaching panel were the three blind mice. Are Billy & Raoul paving the way for the Tigers last gasp for a final spot?

Reply #263809 | Report this post

helium  
Years ago

what hodge did on the court was disrespectful to Brett, but what this current team is doing is pretty disrespectful to Bretts legacy also

Reply #263810 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - not sure that Groves had 6 turnovers. Maybe 4.
Certainly shot 1/5 F/Ts . Started well, finished poorly. Thought I saw redhage knock our photographer over , and ballinger wasn't impressed with that.
Anyways - after following all the signings,going out to training,games, getting a little bit excited with the atmosphere there today in the first half.
I feel so very flat after that second half and poor finish.
Anyways - Perth shot well and finished strongly over our tired looking seven.

Reply #263811 | Report this post

what dome  
Years ago

Getting away from the game for a minute, after it was unbelievably brought up in the advertising as a reason to head to the inverted dome today - did the air con work?!?!?!?!

Reply #263813 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The air con sucked and I didn't feel it's affects.

Reply #263814 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Season is gone I would think from here very disappointing effort.

Our guards and small forwards look confused over when to move and when to stand no one demands the ball or rotates well on offence.

Defence is ok at best we defend the perimeter poorly and then let those follow in shots for offensive rebounds this is all pretty basic stuff.

Brad Hill I can only assume is injured or too easily defended not sure which but will provide the benefit of the doubt. If injured should get this fixed and then spend the off season learning how to shoot and at least hit the rim.

Overall very disappointing team effort against a team which played two days before so you would envisage they might tire later.......

Reply #263815 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Really disappointing final quarter.

When Burston fouled out, you could just see from the body language of Ballinger and Gilchrist that they didn't feel like they had a hope. For Ballinger, I don't know if it was the heat and playing without Holmes spelling him, or if he sometimes lacks self-belief, but it was disappointing not to see them at least take a final crack at dragging it back.

Must've been a confusing finish for any newcomers seeing the 'Cats dribble out a full shot clock at the end. Not really any rookies for them to put in, and hardly exciting for 36ers benchies to get a run in that situation. Quite a deflating finish.

For Adelaide, I thought Burston and Herbert were good, Cooper was OK and Gilchrist had his moments, but there were few highlights beyond that.

I wonder if Ninnis is in a position to demand and get respect from his players and lead from a position of strength?

Reply #263816 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

Air con did not work. What was with giving the Wildcat's bench a fan? Let them suffer, old Boston Garden style, with the sort of facilities "away" teams deserve.

Reply #263817 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Burston played well. Shot terribly. I thought I saw him miss his 2 F/Ts. But doesn't seem to show on box score. I was thinking I would've given Holmes a few minutes to spell Ballinger.
Anyways - feelings incoherent - I find it hard to articulate such a disappointing way to end our season.
I'll go run and hide, now. Depressed.

Reply #263818 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

"I wonder if Ninnis is in a position to demand and get respect from his players and lead from a position of strength?"

I agree 100%. Maybe he is trying to be too much of a "players coach" without having the motivational ability to back it up. A more rigid system is required for this current group IMO

Reply #263819 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I just shook my head waiting for Gilly and 'Tez to not pass to Ballinger in the 4th.vEvery week - same thing. 'Twas painful to behold.

Reply #263822 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I thought I saw him miss his 2 F/Ts"

You did camel, they were both short. The box score is wrong, I think they might've counted them as missed FGs.

Reply #263824 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sometimes Ballinger got the ball and fumbled it. He's good, but he's not always the clutch game-winner.

Bear, I don't think he's necessarily acting as a "player's coach" and I don't think he'd win over the full roster if he cracked down on them. I think you have to put in place systems and have players see them working to gain respect first, and a lot of the offense has been a bit messy all season (average systems or some sloppy players).

Reply #263826 | Report this post

Kermit^  
Years ago

Who was the guy reffing with Billy and Raoul?

Reply #263827 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was it Filmer?

12/20 FT
2/16 3P

We were actually leading the offensive rebound count at the half. Must've been about 6-2. Second half went against us 4-10.

Reply #263829 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fade outs are killing us - 8 points in last quarter is not good.

I believe not running the full roster is killing us.

Reply #263830 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

IMO our fadeouts really come down to effort. When we show some effort and intensity we win.

Anything on the court that requires some real effort and want like rebounding, defence, loose balls etc, we only have a couple that do it all game - Jake, Herby, Burston and Ninja all try all game defensively and on the boards - the rest well they just seem to pick and choose and seem more worried about offense than anything else. Offense comes from hard work on the defensive end, not giving up second shots all those types of things.

What I want to see is that in a timeout while the coaches are talking is a PLAYER step up and just lay it on his teammates - coaches always get blamed for this and that but I've seen first hand what Scotty and the coaching staff do and you won't find a more detailed scouting report and what is requred. It's not the gameplan that is the problem it is getting the effort from ALL the players and them wanting to win and do things on the defensive end.

Reply #263834 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

YES - Boti on radio. 42degrees,humid inside, no Holmes.Perth ran 10players.
In the 3rd qtr we were 7points down and he made some changes to go to 4 up.
Last qtr - Coach left Burston on- should have had a rest - on 4fouls missed a lay up. An active big man, you can see with his steals. Should have rested him. Coach stopped thinking. good rotations except last qtr. Cooper was doing OK Give someone a rest - Garlepp a few minutes. One that got away from them.

( Ninnis - all we can think about is Cairns - Holmes will help - 9 players)
Boti - NZ children/pathetic on the road - aw we're in Australia. Major disappointment. Accross the tasman- can't play.
Townsville around the mark with Homicide likely MVP

Reply #263835 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - and good crowd, just under 6000 - might have had something to do with the concert. 6-8point run in about 40seconds then the push and shove got the crowd revved up. It was great. ..._ Boti..

Reply #263836 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Bizzy you make some good points but the players don't control the player rotations down the stretch & when to call time outs when players are fatigued.

Once again the umpiring was well below average - the Burston no call when he had control of the ball after a rebound & was thrown to the ground was a disgrace.

Reply #263846 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

To put things in perspective first is Perth are the best team in NBL and will win this thing.
Without any sort of system we were right there to last break in a good tough game.
Efforts of Burston Herbert and scoring from Ballinger and Gilchrist had us hanging in there .
But really showed up that our coaches are out of there depth . A example is we had a system worked out to get it to Burston etc at the top run on and get the pass from behind for lay up .
But didnt work the first time and kept trying it and did not work at all.
I have been sitting on the fence re Scotty but no longer , sorry mate our offence is terrible nobody knows what to do under pressure and the wrong ones try to win the game and the right ones are not free and not taking ownership.
Like everyone I am sick of watching this selfish hanging onto the ball PG crap that Gilly and Groves dishing up. Especially when run it down to last seconds and then try to drive through a loaded up keyway . Have a look at all the guards they had they got the ball and drove strong to keyway.
Camel 31 normally agree with you posts but Groves only 4 turnovers wow he had at the least 6 turnovers .
He keeps losing the ball on the dribble but maybe from the bench they think someone had a hand in there
or something. He has invented more ways to turnover the ball than turnover Tyndale did or any u-10 kid.
When he hasnt got the ball in D or offence he just
stands around.
He might do a couple of good drives when opposition slack but when the pressure on you can bet he will dribble to nowhere , lose the ball or put up a awful shot or pass off to someone under the pump as had the ball too long.
Sorry to keep going on about him but watching this selfish style of game is only average acceptable if player is good not when they give the ball to opposition all the time.
But being a Cooper selection critic have to say he worked hard on Sun.with good results.

Reply #263856 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like we were 7 down 1st and 3rd Qtrs and by inserting Groves we hit the front - reading Boti today

Reply #263861 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - and reading Boti a bit further now. It was the rotations that lost us the game.
(Perth rolled over 10 players even Young while not doing much good- allowed players to have a spell.)
While we only used 8 players - some looked like they needed a spell EG Burston.)

Reply #263863 | Report this post

Agent 15  
Years ago

Wow a lot of sooks on here... they seem to all live in Adelaide too

"Wildcats play dirty" - shows what you know about basketball, the Wildcats play in your face D, nothing dirty about that... if you want to talk about 'dirty' then look at NZ which hold on screens under the basket to free up shooters.

The 4th qtr fadeouts plus the fact that Perth run you guys down with our pressure D all game is why you lost.

Free throws were shocking at both ends of the floor.

Biggest problem for Adelaide is your 2 imports - neither have seen a shot they didnt like. Gilchrist loves to shoot, not the right mentality for a PG, thats why I love Damian Martin, pass first shoot second.

Adelaide have 2 of the best big men in the league yet they dont see the ball enough, Ballinger is a player any team would love to have (I know I would), and Burston is also solid when healthy... but these guys dont get enough touches and I look at your guards as the reason why.

Reply #263867 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Guess there is not many teams that have players to rotate like Perth have.
All their guards looked the same nuggety and get the ball and go hell for leather towards the ring.
Their defence was very physical and relentness so they needed to rotate.
No wonder Burston tired he was running all over the place covering loose opposition players.
He created in first half 3- 4 turnovers on D
If you cant use your bench on these type of days it says picked the wrong bench players in first place.
Look also at the wasted energy running madly around trying to get rid of your opponent whilst imports hold onto it for 20 secs.

Reply #263871 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone else see that passage towards the end where Liam was calling out directions to Gilchrist (I think it was) and getting frustrated? Seemed that Gilchrist was saying something back, as though he had his own plan?

Did think Burston should've been taken out for a bit when he got his fourth. Especially given the heat. Had to time that so that Ballinger stayed on though (hard in the heat without Holmes there), but Garlepp could've been tried?

Reply #263875 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I remember thinking that Garlepp should have been used for the last 4 minutes of the first half. Burston definitely tired. Brad Hill also didn't have his brain switched on, which was immediately evident when he entered the game. We were never going to win in that heat against a team running 10 guys when we are only using 8 (which is our own fault by the way).

I spotted the same thing with Gilchrist. I wouldn't be surprised if he is extremely difficult to coach. While he has had moments of sheer brilliance, it is hard to like the guy as he carries on like a petulant monkey the second something doesn't go his way. Also of concern to me was he went something like 12 offences throughout the game last night without letting anyone else touch the ball.

Reply #263877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Took someone yesterday for the first time and their reaction no 20 is sook and a hog. says it all really.

Reply #263878 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Redhage not a dirty player.........please!!!! Your kidding right?

Anyone else see bow he through at Gilly's head in last quarter? Ninnis jumped up but again the officials didn't see it. It was pretty rude.

I have no probs with any of the other Perth's players hard D.

Reply #263879 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Hey anon if you dont visit site regularly try not to make silly statements as No 20 has been regularly bagged for being a sook and hogging the ball.
With 1 poster started his own post re those points calling for him to be replaced 6- 8 weeks ago.

Reply #263880 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah saw the elbow jake. I think Perth play ok, like is has been mentioned they get in your face and the guards especially really got under our skins. Still think the FT shooting is what cost us.

Reply #263882 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

""Wildcats play dirty" - shows what you know about basketball, the Wildcats play in your face D, nothing dirty about that... if you want to talk about 'dirty' then look at NZ which hold on screens under the basket to free up shooters."

I'm not sure who you're quoting there Agent 15, but please don't make up quotes.

As Jake said, Redhage is just about as dirty a player off the ball as you'll find. He throws elbows, sets dirty screens, holds players on rebounds and then flops and pretends to be injured when he's in the eyes of the refs.

I saw some similar things from Wagstaff last night but I agree with you on the rest of the team. As much of a prick Robbins was during the little tiffs, he plays great in-your-face D. There's not a thing dirty about Martin, Weigh, Williamson, Lisch and Schenscher.

Reply #263885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wonder if Ninnis is in a position to demand and get respect from his players and lead from a position of strength?"
No player respect comes from a the inability to coach.
Bye Ninnis.

Reply #263903 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Thought I saw redhage knock our photographer over , and ballinger wasn't impressed with that-- Camel 31.

Nothing as exciting as that. I just over-balanced as I leant back to stop the ball and pat it back with one hand (normally I'd leave it but it was close to me). Next thing I knew Shawn was trying to avoid stepping on me, with Adam behind him.

Reply #263905 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I would have used HOLMES for a few mins.
But Boti and others say garlepp - his last 5mins were 0/1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .... and u23 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
So either is the same really....
So I dunno.... ? maybe seeing Young did nothing for Perth but give someone a break ????

Reply #263906 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was probably just blowing out enough humid air to be 'legal' to play an NBL game.

Reply #263909 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

The question is if you give time for Ninnis to grow as a coach further, or do you cut the cord now and try to get a fresh voice to take this group to the finals. It's clear several players have just stopped listening.

Either way, with the level of dysfunction out there major changes have to be made in the offseason.

If Ninnis stays, Gilly, Groves and Hill have to go. None of these guys seem able to play to their potential in his system.

The lack of development of junior talent has made this season a complete waste of time if we don't make the playoffs.

Once again we will have to attract new players with cash, as I can't imagine playing for Ninnis being a major carrot.

If Gilly could play to his full potential with another coach, and Hill came along a bit (or went back to where he was!), big off season moves may not be required. This answer seems easier to me ...

Reply #263911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not much to gain by axing a coach now as I don't think it would change the play-off fortunes of the team. (Only real benefit would be to enter the off-season with a coach locked down and ready to recruit; corresponding downside is that you're recruiting a coach during the season when a number of possible options are still employed.)

Leaving the import positions out of the picture for a moment, I don't think the team is miles off even though it will be a tough recruiting off-season. Eight spots. U23 is one. Ballinger is another. Then I think Burston (once he'd recovered), Holmes and Herbert have played their roles well. That leaves three spots. I'd keep Ng for some impact off the bench. Two spots left, one likely being a starter.

I don't think this season has been a complete waste of time at all. The league and team have stayed afloat, the club have managed to cut back on the roster without losing massive ground, we've picked up and seen a few players (including potential keepers) in action, etc. From here, hopefully they know where best to spend their money and can make adjustments for next year. It's not a team of blooded rookies, but it's not exactly full of veterans either.

Reply #263914 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Joshuapending from way back up the thread - On what are you basing your statement that they gave away loads of tickets. I've seen this stated a number of times on here now, yet I know that this game actually had one of the lowest number of comps issued.

Reply #263917 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

Aside from staying afloat (which is a very good thing and to be honest I am still very happy we are in the league regardless of finish) I still think little has been achieved in terms of team development.

I think the problems with Hill are the main part of my disappointment. I honestly believed he would be approaching Ingles type levels now. At least he could be a guy like Goulding for the Blaze, but instead he is going backwards. I just don't enjoy watching him play anymore.

Aside from the handy addition of Burston and Herbert, we are struggling to get many positives out of this year.

If we had just one developing junior, getting a few minutes in the system, I would feel much better about the future.

I just don't see any improvement in the current group into next year with a mainly veteran crew. It either has to come from within due to players or coaching, or due to recruitment.

As we have no developing juniors, all we can pin our hopes on is getting lucky with at least one good import, a new U23 and at least one really good new Aussie/Kiwi. All these stars falling into line seems a little unlikely to me, and I'm not sure how we can get into the playoffs next year if we fail this year unless significant changes are made at the top.

Reply #263922 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

That could have been Cattalini's last ever game in Adelaide if the Cats and 6ers dont meet in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure he'll retier at the seasons end. Nice way for Catt to go out in a building where he became a superstar.

Reply #263927 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A few hundred or so walking out - 24secs to go 'Cats dribbled for about 12secs, then shaking hands with about 12secs to go - was a deflating finish.
Maybe throw those 2 on for last minute - might have held a little bit more interest. Maybe?

Reply #263953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide have 2 of the best big men in the league yet they dont see the ball enough, Ballinger is a player any team would love to have (I know I would), and Burston is also solid when healthy...

This is one of our (friends and I)concerns. We are leaving our best players in positions where they don't see the ball enough. This is exactly how we loose them to other teams. If Ballinger and Burston leave this year it pretty much spells out that we are a shit club regardless of what the SOS believe, it seems we can't retain the better players half the time.

If we keep scott nothing is going to change, he can't coach, did you see the way the guys came out LOOKING they were going to loose after the half? We were so dissapointed. It's Scotts job to have them comihg out looking for blood. I'm sorry but his coaching is one of our biggest problems and we won't retain our best players with someone like him failing to get our solid shooters the ball and get the team bonded and in a solid frame of mind when we are down.

I'm personally so tired of watching Gilly try to do everything himself, and not pass, his not a team player.

Reply #264009 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Interesting - Herbert said (on radio) that they are physically fit, and although hot - it was a MENTAL thing, in the end that lost it.
( So the team wasn't 'bonded and in a solid frame of mind , when we were down' - interesting.)
Isaac also picked up Balls and Gillys poor body language when Burston fouled out - interesting.
While ABC TV News were at Sixers training today, where David Cooper stopped the training to speak to the players about their attitiude.
"It was good" Ballinger said. "Coops has been around long enough to know when we are not training hard enough." - Interesting.

Reply #264039 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So - maybe SOS SHOULD 'write a nice letter to Goorjian' As EC suggested on here, about a month ago.

Reply #264041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting.

I see the point above.

But Goorjian would bust the bank! I doubt after the pay cuts the guys took this season that we will be able to hang on to the good players again let alone get a Coach like Brian Goorjan, money talks. Unless we have the kind of money we had in previous seasons. This is such a disappointing season.

Reply #264045 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Of course the Cats are dirty - physical as all hell with elbows, cheap shots etc - but if the refs aren't up to the task of pinging them, why not?

They get away with it regularly and are top of the table. I wish the Sixers would get some of that in them.

Goorj beat us year in year out like that - not exactly the best kept secret in the NBL - beat us up and win.

Reply #264055 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754