newman
Years ago

American vs Australian Coaches

Just wondering why basketball Australia think American coaches are so much better than the Aussie coaches.When Smyth lost to N.Z.several BA officials obviously wanted him gone and he was.Enter Goorgian who then loses to them in Australia and has a worse record of any of our coaches internationally but they protect him .He doesnt go on and we appoint Brown who then appoints 2 assistant coaches who are obviously his mates as niether of them have ever achieved coaching success in the N.B.L They then go on to lose to N.Z by our biggest margin ever and we are told its all ok.Heal was very out spoken when Smyth lost saying it was a disgrace and anyone that lost to NZ should be sacked yet they all get away with we need more time why was Smyth given such a deal is it becuase he couldnt bs like the Americans

Topic #22028 | Report this topic

Astor  
Years ago

Fullstops next time, por favor

Reply #263655 | Report this post

YeTi  
Years ago

Newman, two holes in your argument: Firstly that Brian is/was an American 'developed' coach when in reality the majority of his 20 + years of coaching development was here in Australia, starting with his first AC role under Lindsay Gaze and then through his roles in SEABL (CBA back then) and onto his various roles in the NBL; and secondly that Brett was chosen because he's American rather than a well versed, well positioned, highly experienced coach and scout of International players in the world's leading pro league.

Playing an emotional race/cultural card, admittedly in reverse, lacks the intellect of a strong argument that in reality you can't even make at this early stage. BA and probably Brett Brown's decision to give nearly 20 non-WC or Olympic calibre players an opportunity through the Stankovic and NZ series is in no way an indicator of either BB's coaching ability or Australia's chance in Turkey this year.

Your comments regarding the Assistants is probably the only when worth discussing. I too have doubts on Heal and Lemanis' ability at this level, and IMO only Marty Clarke is certainly worthy, but all three are better than Chocko and I heard Gordie was only interested in the top job. I personally would be looking at Bevo, however as is traditional, the HC usually assembles, or has a major say on his staff, and I don't think BB is very familiar or was guided on his selections.

Reply #263723 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754