thomaschmidt
Years ago

Blaze Analysis

looking like a championship roster. only bogey team is crocs where theyve gone 1 and 3 this season.

Bradshaw- amazing potential and will likely peak in the playoffs
Petrie- Arguably the leagues form power forward atm.
Harvey- Always consistent
Ubaka- x factor
Gibson- world class defense and our best passer

Vanderjagt- good game last night
Maxey- shows blaze depth with this guy on the bench
Vukona- leading team in fg %.
Goulding- great shooter needs to work on defence.
Demos- great defender/role player good for 8mins a game.

Discuss.

its 10 deep

Topic #22031 | Report this topic

man of the moment  
Years ago

bradshaw is not a gd player as shown last nite!

Reply #263653 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Tommy, how many times are you going to post the same basic topic and watch it deleted before you finally get the bloody hint?

Reply #263657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bradsahw is soft and overrated.

Reply #263658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wildcat bench>blaze bench

robbins, lisch, cattalini, young, wagstaff>demos, goulding, vukona, maxey, vanderjagt

Reply #263659 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

how does bradshaw start over maxey or to a lesser extent vukona at least he gives you a lot more energy, bradshaw is very overrated! and i agree wiv anon wildcats bench has a lot more depth than the blaze

Reply #263661 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Harvey consistent? He struggles to put together 4 good quarters in one game, let alone taking any sort of form from one game to the next.

Reply #263664 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Anyone have news on Adam Gibson's injury?

nbl.com.au didn't of course.

Reply #263667 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Blaze defence is probably best in league. Their perimeter shooting can go AWOL at times and then they struggle.
Not a Bradshaw fan,never developed a money shot, but fortunately Wright does not depend on him.
Playoff time will see Maxey and Vukona come into their own with rebounding a priority.
Favourites for mine with Perth having as good if not better bench but again they also rely heavily on a perimeter game and their defense is not as relentless as Blaze.

Reply #263670 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Glad I wasn't the only one who was on Live Stats and saw Bradshaw with 1 point in the first qtr and no more to come for the rest of the game?
There were 3 boards and they were all in the 1st qtr also?
The only stat I kept seeing for many of them but Bradshaw in particular was turnover bad pass, then Roberts blocked a shot of his, etc- his name only seemed to come up for stats you wouldn't want to have?
Last week's game against the Breakers was a decent performance for him but last night's seemed atrocious.

XztatiK I too was trawling through nbl.com and the Blaze site for an explanation of why Gibson only played about 2 mins or something- do we have any news on an injury or if he will take to the court tonight?
Clearly after last night's loss and scrappy performance they are heavily reliant on Gibson's presence- without it they were stabbing in the dark.

As for Petrie, boy does he step up when the chips are down.

Reply #263672 | Report this post

thomaschmidt  
Years ago

gibson had a corked thigh. nothing serious but may not play tonight to be safe given its only cairns tonight.

Reply #263676 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Just blew a significant lead again for the 2nd night in a row- they are definately missing Gibbo.

Reply #263682 | Report this post

thomaschmidt  
Years ago

HAHA, are you serious?? we are up by 11 at 3qtr time.

cairns are a joke, hope they aint in thr nbl next season.

i want it to be:

blaze
bullets
36ers
wildcats
tigers
2nd melb team
kings
hawks
breakers
crocodiles

Reply #263691 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I don't really care what you want Thomas.
There are Cairns fans that visit this site and I wouldn't wish anybody's team to not be in the League (despite what's going on behind the scenes with some clubs) particularly after having lost my own and seen others staring at the same fate.
If you want to win friends here, coming in all guns blazing like you're the expert on things you don't know shit about and trolling new topics every 5 mins isn't the way to do it.

Reply #263693 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

And interesting that you waited until they were up by 11 to make comment on the score- at the time I wrote it which was ages ago now, that's how it was, so hindsight is convenient.

Reply #263694 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

HAHA, I totally agree. Thomas, you are a great candidate for a retroactive abortion.

Reply #263701 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Thomas, you've had a very busy first day as a poster on this site. Please allow me to welcome you and as a fellow 'Blazefan', bring a few things to your attention.

Firstly, I seem to remember the team you have just called a joke, nearly beating us just 3 or 4 home games ago.

While we are all entitled to our opinion, please be aware you will very quickly, lose posting respect on this site, with comments such as hoping a team is not in the league next season.

Having gone through the pain of losing my NBL team many years ago, it is not something I want for the fans of any team. And no matter how bad a team is going at any particular moment, thankfully this is not the criteria for League expulsion.

Using your terms, would you consider a team with an 8 & 22 record a joke? Yes? Well how did the the Blaze make it back into the League this season????

Mate, say what you like as an anonymous poster, but if you want user respect on this site, take a little time to think about what you write, before you hit that 'Post' button.

Once again welcome, it is good to have another 'Blazefan' amongst us on HOOPS SA.

Reply #263704 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Good point- Blaze were wooden spooners last season- should they have been kicked out and classified as a sub-par ABA team like Cairns as I'd seen posted elsewhere?
3 years in the NBL hardly makes for an organisation that can be considered rich in history, success and branding like Brisbane or Sydney etc- more like embryonic at this point so don't be too quick to forget.
Hopefully your comment was just tongue in cheek but if not, if will be a short life for you here.

Reply #263719 | Report this post

thomaschmidt  
Years ago

cairns have no money, and you dont play pro sports without it.

Reply #263735 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Thomaschmidt has been around for a lot longer than just yesterday, under vaious other names.

Thomas, when you post like you did yesterday - Ill assume you were home on your own and bored - you put noses out of joint. Its when that happens and you continue to post over and over with the same thoughts that you will get banned again by Isaac.

I understand your passionate, and yes its great to discuss the games but just step back and have a bit more of a think before you hit 'post'. You have some interesting thoughts and it would be a shame to have you dissaapear again.

Reply #263739 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

For Cairns to continue in the league next season and not just be making up the numbers they will obviously need to make some changes. Without being proactive commenst such as Thomas's above may unfortunately end up ringing true.

Yes the Blaze were diabolical last season but the ownership of the club went out and made some big moves.

They sacked the coach - a move which could still end up costing LOTS (court action still ongoing I believe)
They brought in a new expensive coach (and suport staff)
They bought in argubably teh #1 Australian point guard (not playing overseas)
They sacked an underperforming import fast and replaced him
They brought in short term players to fill gaps caused by injuries

Hopefully the Cairns Taipans can find the $ to make some roster upgrades as at the moment IMO they are team of role players who while all trying their guts out can not and will not be a threat to the competition.

Reply #263740 | Report this post

thomaschmidt  
Years ago

haha you are on the money there statman. i was at my house bored watching blaze game and didnt head out last night.

just annoys me how 36er biased u guys are. get the hint, they aint that good.

watch us romp u 8+ this coming friday with our ridiculously talented roster.

Reply #263741 | Report this post

thomaschmidt  
Years ago

i agree with that. only thing cairns have going for them is that they post decent crowds.

Reply #263742 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Oh dear - Ever heard of the Woofing Gods??

Reply #263743 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

ThomasSchmidt is the same ThomasSchmidt who has a Facebook bromance with Bradshaw after adding him recently.
ThomasSchmidt as posted on a similar thread made reference to him on fantasy and just can't get enough.

ThomasSchmidt, for those of us that have been around a bit longer, not only around the game but also on the planet and weren't born in 1990, you might think you know somebody based on a Facebook chat or beer with a player if you're young, impressionable and naiive but you don't know jack about some of these guys when the public persona is switched off and you certainly don't know jack about Hoops SA.

Many of us that post here regularly aren't from SA, so your blanket generalisations are probably just a reflection of your tender age and still developing brain cells.
People who post here are from all over the country and for the most part, have developed a healthy respect of eachother's (NON- one-eyed) perspectives, as well as knowing people on and off the court.

The only one who's biased here is you with your embarassing Blaze gay bromance.
I bet you have posters of them on your wall and kiss them goodnight- are you the same annoying curly-haired Thomas some of them have mentioned?

Reply #263747 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

btw bradshaws stats over the last 2 games are 1 point, 7 boards, 1 assist, 7 turnovers, 0 from 8 from the field, 0 from 3 3pointers and 1 from 4 from the free throw line. Quality player bradshaw is!

Reply #263751 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

thomaschit - "only thing cairns have going for them is that they post decent crowds"

getting good crowds (with passion) is a great place to start for cairns,hopefully that is the platform for them to build on, rather than over spending the budget straight up.
(dont forget there is only about 120,000 pop in cairns so fans per capita is high)

true $$ spent pretty much dictates where teams end up on the ladder.

i wonder what the blaze true $$ spend is??.

i like the look of goulding,why did perth let him go?

cairns had a chance to win last night,but once again the scoring dried up.meltzer will be gone ny.boody needs to take a pay cut and go to the bench and i think the league has caught up and passed phill jones,good sixth man though.crossy needs a penny banger up his coight before each game and grabau needs to get more automatic offensively if he is to stay in the league.

Reply #263754 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

P.S. It's also gay and desperate to repeatedly like your own status.

Reply #263756 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hmm I was about to say "go easy on the kid", but then I checked his facebook page and it seems he's OLDER than the expected 7 years. Wow! Go your hardest then!

Reply #263789 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

XztatiK, I too was shocked. I would have bet a grand that he was 14 or under based upon his writing style. Guess schools on the Gold Coast aren't the best.

Reply #263793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHA - while this Thomas clown might be a pain in the arse - and more than a litte naive to post using what appears to be his real name, its certainly not appropriate to name and shame him and confirm his facebook details. Sure attack his posts on this site for the crap that they are but lets not deliberately 'out' who he really is and make comments about his facebook profile and the like.

(and yes I do realise that he has in fact posted with his real name)

Reply #263803 | Report this post

thomaschmidt  
Years ago

(Mod: Go away.)

Reply #263841 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Christ!

Reply #263849 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

i know what im talking about and would romp all of u in a game of 1 on 1 lol.

uh oh, I hope Cecil does not see this......

Reply #263850 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

OK, it probably isn't productive to continually bash this kid, so to answer the initial post:

Harvey - I wouldn't describe him as consistent, but he is one of very few guards in the country who can create his own shot at will (he'll get a Boomers WC nod based on this IMO). Can shoot a team out of a game as quickly as he can win one for you. Probably the most positive sign for the Blaze this year was winning a game when Harvey went scoreless. I know what the outcome would be for Adelaide if Ballinger was held scoreless.

Gibson - agree re the defence and passing. His shooting lets him down sometimes.

Ubaka - a solid import, no ones star, but does most of what he is required to do and does it well.

Maxey - I love the guy's energy, and for the most part I have been impressed with everything he's done.

Petrie - having a great year, and presents a mis-match for most teams at the four.

Demos - I personally don't rate him and he isn't terribly relevant as he hardly plays. He is a pest on defence.

Bradshaw - IMO a ridiculous signing, and has so far contributed nothing positive. Would have been better off with Frank.

Vanderjagt - I don't know how many years you can be referred to as an "up and coming/developing centre" before you are forced to admit that you are in fact, Will Perdue. Is exploited badly when in the game by most if not all opponents.

Vukona - IMO the best rebounder in the league. Has shown a little bit of an improvement on his jumpshot and is very active off the ball.

Goulding - has a world of gifts offensively but lets himself down defensively. That said, he's the U23 isn't he? Well I'd take him over Molitor (or Hill for that matter) any day of the week.

I disagree that this roster is ten deep. In reality, seven guys are doing your work for you. That said, Joey Wright has gotten them functioning together superbly, especially on the defensive end.

Perth's roster is much better (and legitimately ten deep), and I think they are the better team overall. I've just got this feeling that the Blaze (the gayest nickname in sports history by the way) match up better than anyone on them, which has been evident in the head to head games this season. Who wins in a playoff series is anyones guess.

Reply #263865 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

ThomasSchmidt that was one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.
The funnist part though, was thinking I would actually ADD you as a friend?
From now on when I see one of your posts, I'm not even going to read it.

Reply #263874 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

When they loose to the gong waht will u say

Reply #264032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754