MACDUB
Years ago

1 and 1 Free Throw situation - NBL?

This is an obvious feature of NCAA College Basketball, that aims to reward those players who successfully make their initial free throw. After seven fouls with a non-shooting foul, the team is considered in the "bonus" and shoots one-on-one rather than inbounding the ball.

The team always shoots the first free throw but only shoots the second if the first attempt is successful.

Personally, I like the 1-and-1 free throw idea, as it basically rewards players who can make their free throws; And I like the belief that it is based upon --"If you can't make your first, you don't deserve to shoot the second". It also helps players focus on free throws more, something which im sure coaches appreciate.

Anyway, the reason i made this thread was because I wanted to know your guys thoughts on whether the 1-and-1 free throw rule would be effective/beneficial in the NBL?

Topic #22037 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA removed 1 and 1 Free Throws as it encourages deliberate fouling by the losing team.

While I agree it forces team to make foul shots I personally agree with FIBA's stance. End of the games can get drawn out enough without having a further reason to foul.

I would actually bring back another rule and allow the shooting team the choice of taking the penalty from the sideline and not force them to shot at all.

That way losing teams are forced to play defence and not foul to stop the clock and try and regain possession quickly from a made 1 point foul shot or a rebound.

Reply #263745 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

There should be a rule change regarding fouling late in games and free throws, it's the ugliest part of the game.

I also reckon if you get fouled shooting a 3 pointer and make the shot, you should get 2 free throws instead of one.

Reply #263749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:58 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754