Anonymous
Years ago

District Referee Coordinator

District Referee Coordinator

Basketball SA is pleased to announce the appointment of Neal Bridgeman to the position of District Referee Coordinator. This new full-time role incorporates the previous duties of the Referee Administration Officer, and also some additional responsibilities in officiating development.

Neal has been a BASA and Basketball SA employee since 2005, undertaking a number of roles at the Wayville Sports Centre including Referee Training Officer and Court Supervisor. During this time, Neal has maintained a strong referee development program at Wayville involving the progression of referees through miniball, social and district, and has also played a strong role in the success of the Wayville social competition.

In addition, Neal has maintained a position as a high-level referee for many years. After officiating in his first Division 1 State League game in 1994, he progressed through each of the junior national championships and has refereed in the Central ABL every year since its inception in 1998.

In his new role, Neal will be based at the Basketball SA office at the Distinctive Homes Dome. His responsibilities will include:

* Overseeing the rostering of referees for the district competition
* Maintaining the referee availability system
* Enforcing referee commitment criteria
* Managing a database of referee contact details, accreditations and evaluations
* Investigating grievances relating to referees
* Assisting stadium managers in the progression of referees between different levels of competitions
* Performing stadium referee audits

Neal will commence part of this role on January 18, and will complete the transition by mid February.

Basketball SA congratulates Neal on his appointment and wishes him well in this new and challenging role.

Topic #22049 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And this was advertised where?

Reply #263913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

here...all basketball jobs get advertised on hoops or it isn't even a job....

Reply #263915 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Please Cut the Negatives and give Neal some credit.
Neal has his faults as we all do, but he is reasonable and approachable, so give him support and hopefully he will achieve where others have failed.
All the best and pleae send some good refs to assist the young ones at the Port.

Reply #263919 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

but seriously, was it advertised?

Hanging around, forget about the Port, the co-ordinator needs to look at the big picture, not just one stadium.

Issues that need to be addressed

Reply #263921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah like teaching the refs to answer a question and not use the line "go read the rule book" because when I ask a question I Wont find the answer in a rule book, when it's a made up call

Reply #263925 | Report this post

SP  
Years ago

Nice work Neal.

How bout this though....

My favourite is "its not my call", um you have a whistle, and its your job. I know at my workplace I do what ever possible to get the job done, i dont tell my co-workers, "nah thats not part of my role".

Refs are a team of 2 or 3, who ever sees it, needs to call it! Help your teammate out!....maybe this can get taught at ref training.

Reply #263946 | Report this post

phidap  
Years ago

The only problem with the last post is that different postioned refs are supposed to be looking at different areas of the game, not just the on-ball action. To say "it's not my call" may mean "I was looking behind the play when the ball was in the other refs "zone". It's also not good form for a ref to overcall his partner when he/she is in a better position to assess the play.

There's more to refereeing than many players, coaches, spectators realise.

Reply #263964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst I generally agree with what is said above (knowing that refs are sometimes looking at different things), here is the bit that bugs me:

"It's also not good form for a ref to overcall his partner"

Protecting your ref partner from "embarrassment" etc should not come into it AT ALL - just get the call right!

Reply #263981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way to quote only what you wanted to mention.

Forgot to include the point about the partner being in a better position.

It's amazing how many plays can look like a foul from one view and completely clean from another.

Reply #263982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But when everyone in the stadium can see a foul and no whistle is blown whose call is it then ;-)

Reply #263992 | Report this post

SP  
Years ago

Phidap - if refs are looking in different areas, but then say "thats not my call", they obviously saw it. Why not call it? Your sayng so they dont overcall their partner. Why not, both or all 3 refs are out there to call the game, help each other, and even learn off each other. There shouldnt be a superiority depending on where you stand.

Change the situation, a firemans job is to climb the ladder and get a kid from a burning buildng. His teammate another fireman is the firetruck driver (and also has ladder climbing abilities, as all trained in all areas), who stays on the ground and watches the area. There is a spare ladder and another kid in the window screaming for help. With the ground area secure and nothing to do , does the fireman(truck driver) save the second kid, or let the kid die because its not his call! He saves the kid, because that is his job. He helped his teammate.

If refs called what they saw, then players, coaches, spectators wouldnt get so angry, especially at the inconsistancies, and maybe its inconsistant as one ref on the bassline is better than the ref around halfway, so one team gets the calls from the good ref, but then when the refs change roles, that ref says its not my call, as the not so good ref has trouble blowing the whistle, so call what is seen no matter where you stand and it would be more enjoyable for everyone including the ref.

Reply #263994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

congrats Neal on your new position.
even if the thread has been sidetracked with other issues.

Reply #263995 | Report this post

phidap  
Years ago

Yes Neal - CONGRATULATIONS on the appointment.

Now I'm not trying to defend poor refereeing above, I'm as much a critic of bad refereeing as the next person but there are many reasons for "it's not my call" quote, and it doesn't mean he actually saw the foul or whatever given he might have been focussing elsewhere. As I recall the dynamics of umpiring, the paint area is shared responsibility between all refs and the "it's not my call" doesn't or shouldn't apply there.

I know this thread could go on and on, and it's not my intention to argue the toss about all these things, suffice to say that until you've walked in their shoes, you don't really appreciate what a tough job it is, and it's very easy to be a biased armchair critic from the sidelines. Both teams, coaches and spectators see things very differently and both want the call going their way. Rarely can they view a situation with total independence. I learnt that fact many years ago and nothing has changed.

Reply #264011 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754