Isaac
Years ago

Hodge wins Player of the Week

Explosive Melbourne Tigers' import Julius Hodge has been named the National Basketball League’s Round 15 Player of the Week after leading his team to a critical victory over the higher-seeded Wollongong Hawks.

Hodge was outstanding against the Hawks at 'The Cage’ (State Netball Hockey Centre) on Friday night, stepping up as the Tigers struggled to keep their season alive despite a heavy casualty list.

The sometimes controversial guard shouldered his team’s burden against Wollongong, scoring 20 points and adding seven rebounds and eight assists in 35 minutes as the last-placed Tigers upset a Hawks team that has been in the four for all but one week of the season thus far and which has led the competition through six of the previous rounds.
Sometimes controversial, you don't say!
Williams had 22 points, 10 assists and six rebounds for the Crocs, as well as three steals to help Townsville consolidate third position on the ladder. Had he won the Player of the Week in Round 15, it would have been his second back-to-back award this season.
Other players in consideration for the weekly award in Round 15 included CJ Bruton (New Zealand), Kirk Penney (New Zealand), Julien ‘Skip’ Mills (Cairns), Adam Ballinger (Adelaide), James Harvey (Gold Coast), Brad Williamson (Townsville), Ayinde Ubaka (Gold Coast), Anthony Petrie (Gold Coast), Stephen Weigh (Perth), Rhys Martin (Wollongong) and Larry Davidson (Wollongong).
Could've flipped a coin on Williams and Hodge I think. Hodge with 20/7/8 against Hawks without McKee. Williams with 22/6/10 against the then top team. Similar percentages from the field.

Not even a mention for Schenscher's double-double to lead Perth over Adelaide.

Let's try to at least be civil here. No doubt many people in Adelaide aren't huge Hodge fans, but let's just look at the numbers on this occasion.

Topic #22059 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

The numbers would say Williams should have got it. The 3 primary stats are only being looked at here. Steals and Turnovers should be included.

Good line for Hodge, but Steals change the face of a game quite often; and Hodge's turnover count hasn't been brilliant. With Ty Mckee out for the year, Williams should be pegged for League MVP this year methinks.

Reply #263958 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Should have been Williams (biased) but it was close so no complaints...

Reply #263968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Marty - Even looking at steals and turnovers and other categories, inc blocks, Hodge's line is slightly better.

They both had the same number of turnovers and assists, Hodge had 2 steals and Williams had 3. Hodge, however, had 1 more block. Hodge also had 2 more rebounds and shot at a slightly higher percentage. Close, but just going with the numbers, I can see why he won it.

Reply #263971 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I guess he actually deserves it. Although if Williams had of won it would have made everyone happy.

Reply #263972 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

who's hodge lol

Reply #263987 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Whenever I think of Hodge, I think of a 1975 Skyhooks album.......

Reply #264042 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Jack, it's not a dirty word mate...

Reply #264084 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am all for giving credit where credit is due and a stat line like that deserves credit, but this guy has done the dirty on a number of occasions. The getting rewarded for doing something good and getting away with doing something bad is hardly fair. As far as I'm concerned, he can't do enough good to make up for the bad, particularly the unpunished bad.

Reply #264239 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No, but that the song that enters my head

Reply #264247 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just wanted you to know someone got the joke mate ; )

Reply #264248 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754