yogee
Years ago

2005 Opals squad announced

Triple Olympian Trisha Fallon was today named by Basketball Australia as a member of the 30-strong 'Price Attack' Opals squad for 2005.

The squad, which also includes Lauren Jackson, Penny Taylor and WNBL Rookie of the Year Renae Camino, will be working towards the 2006 Commonwealth Games, which will be underway in Melbourne in just over one year's time.

Recently re-appointed head coach Jan Stirling is looking forward to getting the group together throughout the year and heading to China for an international tournament ahead of the Oceania ranking series against New Zealand in September.

"We're excited about the coming 12 months. Our big hurdle this year will be getting over the rapidly improving New Zealand team who have blossomed under the guidance of Tom Maher," Stirling said.

The Opals meet the Kiwis in the Oceania Championships (a Commonwealth Games qualifying tournament) in New Zealand in September.

With many players accepting contracts and trying their luck at training selection camps in the WNBA over the coming months, Stirling will be working without a full squad for the majority of the year.

"It will be a challenge to get the full squad together this year, but that is the nature of playing an international sport and something we have accounted for in our planning.

"Phil (Brown  Assistant Coach) and I have made a commitment to recognise Australia's young up-and-coming players as well as those who have performed well in the WNBL. We have a large pool of talented players who will form the base of the Opals team for many years to come."

Fallon, who returned to the 'Price Attack' WNBL in 2004/05 and helped her team to a grand final birth in February, will be a mark her 15th year as part of the Opals program. She has played 212 senior games for her country and captained the team to an Olympic silver medal in 2004.

Trisha Fallon and Jan Stirling are available today for interview by contacting Rachel Wolters.

The full 'Price Attack' Opals squad and draft program for 2005 follows. The first training camp is currently planned for June.

2005 'Price Attack' Opals squad

Deanne Butler (Spain); Jessica Bibby (Dandenong/Seattle); Kristi Harrower; Renae Camino (AIS/Gems); Jae Kingi (Phoenix); Kathleen Macleod (AIS/Gems); Erin Phillips (Adelaide); Michelle Musselwhite (Sydney Uni); Alicia Poto (Czech Republic); Jenni Screen (Adelaide); Samantha Richards (Dandenong); Jessica Foley (Duke University); Belinda Snell (Sydney Uni/Phoenix); Kristen Veal; Allison Tranquilli (Ballarat); Carly Wilson (Dandenong/Sacramento); Carla Boyd; Suzy Batkovic (Spain); Trisha Fallon (Sydney Uni); Hollie Grima (Bulleen Melbourne/ Sacramento); Shelley Hammonds (Perth); Jacinta Hamilton (Dandenong); Katrina Hibbert (Bulleen Melbourne/Indiana); Lauren Jackson (Canberra/Seattle); Emily McInerny (Dandenong); Natalie Porter (Townsville); Laura Summerton (Adelaide); Gabrielle Richards (Oregon); Penny Taylor (Italy/ Phoenix); Jenny Whittle (Canberra).

2005 draft Opals schedule*

818 July
International Tournament
China

29 August4 September
FIBA Oceania Women's Championship
New Zealand

*Camp details to be announced at a later date.

Topic #2206 | Report this topic

basil fawlty  
Years ago

I'd be working hard to get camino here -she is good

Reply #24868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Deanne Butler ???

Reply #24869 | Report this post

chardonnay  
Years ago

Erins in YOU BEAUTY !

Reply #24870 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Deanne Butler played for AIS 1998-2000, then went on to Dandenong for the 00/01 season, then to Bulleen before ehading overseas.

Reply #24873 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Congrats to Erin for making the squad, and Jenni Screen as well.

Great to see Jae Kingi in there as well, would be worth going to an Opals game just to see J-Bird in the flesh again :)

Reply #24874 | Report this post

chardonnay  
Years ago

we want camino in lightning !

Reply #24881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think everyone wants Camino at their club when she's done at the 'Tute...! I know I would love to see her at the Flames!! and with Renae being a Wollongong girl, hopefully that'll help!

Reply #24898 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yes, it would be great to have Renae in the Lightning, but at the cost of who??

Do we ask Philips or SCreen to start off the bench?

Do we ask Erin Seward, one of the star recruits of this season, to play less minutes?

Guards is the last thing the Lightning really need right now.

It's some quality bigs to back up Laura that they really need.

Reply #25028 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Dee Butler is a damn good player. Great role player, but I didn't know she went oversea's to play. I just guessed she wanted to concentrate on her work and decided not to suit up.

Reply #25036 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:30 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754