Jack Toft
Years ago

Game Night: Sixers/Taipans: Last roll of the dice!

Last 8 games coming up with a horror run of 4 straight on the road and if the Sixers want any action, then they need to pull their finger out. Insipid performances with quarter fade outs has been the unacceptable par for the course this season. Last time I was this frustrated, I was dating a girl from Walford.

This is a must win game for the Sixers - they need to get to home base. Not just a win, but a +20 point win. Failure is not an option

Cairns are playing for pride. Dusty is the dangerman IMO, but there's a couple more who could explode.

With Jake back, we should win, but my main concern this late in the season is "Miss Molly" - either give him some court time, or cut him. IMO, give him a go. Bring him on in Q1 with 2 mins to go, if he F*cks up, send him for an early shower, but I reckon he'll make Dusty look like a has been..

Tez is a worry. Bad shot selection, turnovers and un-characteristic performances have held him back. However, now is the time for him to stand up and be counted, not skulk in the corner. I believe he is up to the task - he will show leadership. I believe he is lacking a bit of confidence, but I expect double figures from him this game, he is capable and ready to go.

To me, this game is the last roll of the dice. A loss means a quite March, a win keeps the hopes alive.

Topic #22067 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

"Last time I was this frustrated, I was dating a girl from Walford." - Hiyo! Still got it, Jack.

Couldn't agree more with the above post. If I may, though, I'd like to add... if the game is on the line and Gilly and Tez' decide to play hero on a clear out / shirt tug / bad selection / first phase of the offence shot instead of posting up Ballinger or looking for Burston, I may very well explode from the neck up and leave.

Reply #264054 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Loco I would advise against coming then, you know they will try to iso and do it all. I have stopped yelling for them to dump the ball in to save my own voice. Tex has been a little better recently I think but as the point gilly has me going loco.

Reply #264061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cairns paying $3.60 for those that want some insurance. 36ers strong favourites at $1.29.

Reply #264068 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If 6ers can't win this game they donm't deserve to be playing finals...

Adelaide to win by 5.

Reply #264070 | Report this post

Brainz  
Years ago

and to think i married a girl from Walford

Reply #264072 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I was going to post exactly what LC posted ... well not exactly but you get my point.

If you can't beat Cairns in Adelaide you don't deserve to be in the playoffs ... and Ninnis needs to go.

Just saw Melzer on North Terrace ...

Reply #264076 | Report this post

DC  
Years ago

If they do not win this I will reach boiling point... Your all right if they do not get up they don't deserve playing the finals!

That being said I'm almost half tempted to put a few bucks on cairns... These days ya never know ha

Reply #264078 | Report this post

the ox  
Years ago

Is Holmes definitely back in then?

Reply #264086 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yup, do or die for the Sixers tonight. Gotta win at least 2 of 3 this week as well. If we can do that, might squeak into the playoffs by winning remaining home games and jagging one more road win.

Hope Holmes is back! We need his toughness. Sixers will be all out of excuses if they can't beat Cairns.

Reply #264092 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

This has to be it - no more chances. If the Sixers can't get a 20 point win tonight, I think we can free up our calendars during the finals.

Lose tonight, then get a new coach and start building for next year. Isaac made a good point in a thread about last Sunday's game, that if we do replace him, at least we have a running start to build a team, rather than waiting to find a replacement coach in the off season.

Will always be a supporter, but it is getting bloody hard!!

Reply #264093 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree that this is a must-win. At home, against what you'd have to consider the weakest team.

My companion point on changing coach was that doing so now could rule out some coaches already in the NBL. That said, right now I'd be asking Goorjian for a ballpark just to be aware of options.

Reply #264095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the sixers lose tonight, it makes things really difficult to 1 plan for the off season. 2 - keep ninnis as coach and of course select players for next season.

Above all it will not just be the season from here out, it will be contracts as well.

I will be there tonight along with all the other 6er fans who support there team to the end

Reply #264097 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

If we get Ballinger and Burston the ball, hit our free throws and box out (what we didn't do against perth) then we should win. Close game last time and Cairns can be pretty physical so hopefully we match that.

Reply #264098 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

TC, that's the key. Need to feed the ball to Big Bird and Big Red. Once Cairns expect the feed, pop it out to a loosely guarded Ninja for a three shot, then we already have some tall timber for the rebounds if there's a miss.

Need to give Miss Molly some court time too......yes, I sound like a broken record

Reply #264099 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I'm a fan of Molitor as well. I've seen Molitor play for West Adelaide a handful of times and always been impressed, good composure, good size, good stroke. Sure the NBL is a higher standard and it's hard to know how his game will translate, but there are times when I would have been more than happy to seen some underperfoming players minutes go to him.

Two other things I would like to see tonight, 1. persist with high pick and rolls with Burston - I think Cairns would struggle to defend that, 2. Not have Ballinger inbound the ball from the baseline if there is pressure/trap applied.

Reply #264105 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Gilchrist is the problem with the team. Its his ball handling that fails to set up the plays they need. What is the sense in dribbling that ball for 18 seconds and watching the keyway congest with traffic before you even get there, then have 6 seconds to fight your way through that bottleneck. He is also completely blind when it comes to realising Ballinger's position on court. Ninnis has addressed this problem and the last 3 weeks or so has seen him change for the first half and then automatically revert back to his old habits. He does not suit the fast free flowing game style and will always stifle the keyway. He has definitely got to go.

Reply #264112 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I have read so many times people complaining about Gilchrist dribbling the ball on top of the key. The reason is that he is running a play and waiting for the two wing players to cut. I don't know which play it is but next time you see him dribbling watch what is happening off the ball before you blame him for holding onto the ball. Last game he was actually telling the other players to hurry up.

Reply #264124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He is also completely blind when it comes to realising Ballinger's position on court. Ninnis has addressed this problem and the last 3 weeks or so has seen him change for the first half and then automatically revert back to his old habits. He does not suit the fast free flowing game style and will always stifle the keyway. He has definitely got to go."

SPOT ON, EC. I believe it is sheer friggen arrogance though not blindness.

Reply #264135 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Honestly, can it get any worse? You bet it can. I can't imagine to think what will be posted if we lose to the Snakes.

With Crosswhite potentially missing this game, the Sixers should definately run the high pick and roll with Burston as a focus all night.

Other notes on tonights game:
Mix it up with starting 5 (Burston,Balls,Jake,Tez,Gilly)
Molitor needs to see playing time in 1st and 2nd periods (around 6-7mins)
Get Darren some open looks (he's overdue for a big one)
Get Balls posting up with Hilly making strong cut down the lane to get him some nice close looks and chance to use his hops over the undersized Taipans.

Sixers need a big win to restore some faith.
Tip: Sixers by 12

Reply #264136 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

In a way, I hope we get put out of our misery tonight... even if we win against Cairns, fanboyisms aside, does anyone here *actually* believe that it will be the start of a worthwhile playoff run? I am semi-dreading going... life's too short to watch this indolent lot! If they don't care, which seemed to me to be the case on Sunday in the fourth-quarter (what happened to that first-quarter passion?), then I sure don't care. And at least if they flame-out badly this year, it will hopefully bring some significant changes for next season.

Anyway, that's my depressing rant over. Try not to project any exploding brain fragments on my row on your way out, Loco!

Reply #264140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TC, definitely agree that Ballinger shouldn't be inbounding the ball. Not really his strong suit IMO.

Reply #264144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Ballinger GETS THE BALL first.

Reply #264145 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Jacob is by far the best big that can inbound the ball then help the PG by screening his defender in the back court.
Even Coops seems more confident than Ballinger in this roll. Ballinger seems to get frustrated when having to inbound after a shot and makes poor decisions more often than not.

Reply #264146 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Often Ballinger gets the ball and stalls which gives defense time to react. He will do well when the team motion gets him open. The solution isn't always "give Ballinger the ball and step away" because he gets double teamed and harassed.

Reply #264152 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

36ers by 13.
Burston top scorer, Gilly top rebounds.

Reply #264153 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

If Gilchrist inbounded the ball that would take away any potential double team and if sides still double teamed the guard (Groves, Ng, Herbert etc.) then the good old give and go would work a treat!

Reply #264154 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"I have read so many times people complaining about Gilchrist dribbling the ball on top of the key. The reason is that he is running a play and waiting for the two wing players to cut."

I've seen that too Big Sexy and pointed it out after a game I saw awhile back. You can see him gesturing to players to get in position sometimes. I think sometimes it is his fault, but in general I think its his team-mates that are clueless most of the time.

Whatever happens this season, our roster needs to be settled early in the off-season and whoever is coach needs to drill them like SAS rookies until they can run half a dozen plays in their sleep!

Reply #264175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time I saw gilchrist play he was trying to direct the players into position as written above, but it was often after the defence pressed up and gilchrist had to regain the ball to start the offence. Because of the shambolic way of breaking the press of course the team were all out of position. Gilchrist should be able to call an offence without the ball or there should be a fall back offence when nothing is called so time isn't wasted repositioning everyone.

Flex anyone?? Pass and screen away?? The good old scissor cuts, basic movements that have been lost.

The sixers reminded me of a team that have spent too much time drilling offences against easy defence, so when it gets to game time there is no natural flow, a pass can't be made or someone is out of position and it all goes to pot, either lost sheep or headless chickens (in the sixers case they seem to be sheep).

I agree the sixers don't move well off the ball, but when you don't know what the point guard is going to call and he seems to often call it late, I don't blame them for just waiting.

And why does every play have to start with Gilchrist??? Maybe if some of the plays were started without him he might get a feel for the game.

My point.....new coach next season please:-)

Reply #264182 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I think you will find little scotty ninnis fits the budget of the sixers and therefore they will stick with it...

would love to see a gorj at the helm, but he would command the salary cap alone...no i'm not kidding...well slightly exaggerated...but you get my gist...

this game will go to OT!!!

Reply #264184 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

From memory we beat them by 37points in Cairns.
Lets think... a wild guess .. Adelaide by 17points tonite. Top scorer - Cortez Groves.

Reply #264185 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Hill, 2 spills in a minute. Get him out of there....

Reply #264189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hehe, funny you say that coz i was screaming it at the box!!

Reply #264191 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Worst. Charge. Ever.

Reply #264192 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

4 minutes left in the second, 29 - 26 Cairns.

Reply #264193 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

At the half 43 - 39 Adelaide.

Reply #264194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13 turnovers in the first half....

Reply #264195 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I just heard that Ballinger hasn't scored??????

Reply #264196 | Report this post

Kevin Malone  
Years ago

Ng on fire?

Reply #264197 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

At the end of the third 70 - 59 Adelaide.

Looks like Adelaide have got this one.

Reply #264198 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Come on Tez - you gotta get my prediction right.

Reply #264199 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw well - I was 3points out - on Groves and the margin

Reply #264200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Groves and Ng play their games of the YEAR.

NG 6/6 3 pointers (technically 6/7 but he was fouled and got three free throws for it)

Reply #264202 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Groves starting! and Ng off the bench and yes their best games of the year - interesting.
Wonder who was best of the 2 - pretty close - maybe Groves just.

Reply #264204 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Fiiiiiinally! We play to our potential! Only for one half of course but still.

We're a far better team than Cairns. Defenders of the Taipans, don't even bother with this, they're not any good. Sorry. If we had played at our best we would've won by 30, nevertheless it was great to finally find some form later.

Burston: Not sure what to make of his game. Defensively he was a pest in the lanes but below his best in the post. Offensively he made great position consistently and got himself some huge mismatches but we failed to capitalise, either through turnovers or simply not getting him the ball. 4 turnovers was the main negative, his rebounding was solid.

Balls: Had to be a bit greedy in order to work himself into the game, but he did, albeit very late in the game. His block was massive! We'll call this an off night and get on with things.

Herbie: What's going on with that pesky scoreboard? When he was subbed off in the 2nd it showed he was on 4 fouls, then the box score comes out at the half and he's back to three. You don't want coaches basing their decisions on an incorrect scoreboard, not a big deal in this case because he should've been out on 3 anyway (and that foul was a load of crap by the way). He was lighting it up in the warmup and had a solid offensive night. Didn't have a major influence on D.

CORTEZ 'I'M GOOD AGAIN' GROVES: YIIIEEEEAAAHHHH! That's the stuff! Penetration! Hustle! Athleticism! Defense! Playmaking! That's the Wollongong Cortez that I know. Brilliant game, and he only jacked a few threes.

Gilchrist: I thought a lot of you were being a bit harsh on him after the last few games (as is always the case when we're on a slide), but it looks like he responded. Not a dominating performance by any means, but I'd say the ball spent 50% less time in his hands, his shot selection was excellent, body language good, played solid D and his passing was just fantastic. So you'd probably call that a quiet game from Mr.No-Nickname but if he plays like that consistently we'll win a lot of those games.

Coop: He's in some really good form. 2 turnovers was the negative but his D and rebounding was good as always. Even made Rich Melzer pay for his lazy D with a nice slam.

Holmes: Being eased back in it seems but he made no mistake tonight. Made some nice passes in limited minutes.

Molitor: Hehe he was our Zac Delaney tonight, the crowd went nuts as soon as he got near it. I've never been a fan of taking last-second shots when you're up 14 but I think the Snakes will understand. He could hardly leave it after Gilchrist set him up like that.

Hill: The crowd cheering after he was dragged for his 2 turnovers was disappointing, but he came back pretty strongly. Good to see him knocking the outside shot.

Ninja!: Get out! Get the fudge out! When he's feeling like that, he can have the green light and cruise his way through the whole game. He worked so hard on the cuts to get open looks and even started hitting some really tough contested ones once the D stepped up. 6/7 god damn! So smoooooth!

Refs: A spin move is NOT a f%#$ing travel! I give up.

Hopefully that's not just a flash in the pan against poor opposition, hopefully this sparks us to the playoffs.

Reply #264206 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

What was up with that pass out-of-bounds along the baseline at the end of the first half? I didn't know that was legal.

The Sixers played a rubbish three quarters and one good quarter and won, so yay I guess. Cairns was cover-your-eyes-awful for much of the second half. Ballinger was ice-cold until the last quarter or so - he seemed shocked that he was getting the ball the rest of the time. Ng was great, no idea why the Taipans didn't play physical defence on him more often - Phillll did once or twice and Ng coughed it up. Molitor came on for the last couple of minutes and seemed a bit overawed - didn't really get a chance to do anything.

Worst reffing ever by the guy with grey hair... I think he just likes the sound of his own whistle.

Oh, and if I see Scott Ninnis pull his petulant "WHAAAT?" face one more time, I am going to... I dunno. Probably I'll do nothing, but it's very embarrassing. Not a good look Scotty. Passion is all well and good; constant whining is all bad.

(Mod: The pass along the baseline is legal. It's a simple method to assist in beating the trap. As long as both players are out of court they can pass back and forth all night. 'or until the ref calls 5 seconds')

Reply #264207 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

hereschenes - 100% agree with every post you've made in this thread. 'Nuff said.

Reply #264209 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Umpiring was shocking!

Give the MARS green shirts a go

Reply #264210 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

PS Good to see #15 on the court

Reply #264211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NG 6/6 3 pointers (technically 6/7 but he was fouled and got three free throws for it)"

No, they didn't count that as an attempt, they counted the one where he got blocked as an attempt.

Reply #264212 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

official crowd 5,510 ?????

I would have thought a few more than on Sunday. The place was rocking and weren't too many empty seats.

Perhaps the Tristar kids were not counted

Reply #264213 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

5,627 as the official crowd on Sunday - there were more punters there tonight than Sunday.

I would have said 6,510 if SUnday was correct

Reply #264214 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Really don't mean to be a wet blanket - a win is a win and that's cool - but am I the only one that thought we looked awful tonight? As in a better team would have mauled us?

Reply #264215 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

In the first half, or maybe the first 65%, yes.

Reply #264216 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I gues the 0% from outside evened out this week.

Reply #264217 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The crowd cheering after he was dragged for his 2 turnovers was disappointing...
My impression was that they were cheering Ninnis' substitution.

Good win tonight. Couldn't really play like that and win against every team, but they had some great sequences of play. Ng was obviously great and Groves was very good too (hope he can take confidence from the game and build on it). Would've liked to have seen what Herbert could have done without the impact of foul trouble. Good crowd for a Wednesday Fox game as well.

Reply #264218 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah the flood from the outside got us the win, the reverse of how we lost a couple.

Reply #264219 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Seriously Hill will be feeling real pressure now..when the home crowd is against you...you know it will take something to get big to get you back in favour...

i like Hill tho, so i hope he does something big to get himself more court time...

they all talk about the knowledge of the 36ers crowd...sometimes its a disadvantage when yr a player on the wrong side...

Reply #264220 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Good to see the team getting it done without much input from Ballinger. The Cairns defence though was swamping the post men {except Coops } and was leaving the wingers in space.

Hill has serious talent, it just looks sometimes like he forgets which offence is being run, and he is late recognising where the ball is going.

Negatives, i thought we had too many turnovers, those bounce passes to the the big men in traffic are just crap and only work against slow defenders.

Positives, much more up-tempo tonight, with a lot more passing. Much better offence, but it remains to be seen if we can still do it against the better outfits, or will Gilly & Co revert to old habits. He got 9 assists tonight though and the 36ers got double the assists that Cairns did, so the ball moved a lot better tonight.

Reply #264221 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

Nice call Dazzman. Darren was definately due!

Reply #264225 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

That three that Ng missed/was blocked on/looked like on the coverage he jumped up to shoot than was looking for the pass into the bigs in the key who were not looking, not sure if the defender still got a piece of the shot/pass.

Great shooting display by Ng and great to see him pass up a half open look at one point to give it to a WIDE open look in the corner, not too many hot shooters will do that!

Reply #264230 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The blocked three looked like a shot attempt to me, but I didn't see a replay.

Was the passed-up shot the behind the back pass to Hill (I think)? The crowd liked that.

Reply #264232 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

The behind-the-back was to Herbert I reckon.

What was the Fox broadcast like? Did H-E-A-L descend to pronouncing Ng's name properly? Not like he could have ignored him last night!

Reply #264233 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loved the close-ups of Chek's double-fist-pump in the crowd after Ninj's last three.

Larry Sengstock was at the game so good to get a decent crowd on a Wednesday night. Must give him some more faith in their persistence with this season. 5,500 for a mid-week Fox game (even considering the TriStar and Triple M deals) against Cairns is pretty good.

Reply #264234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does that figure include the camp kids? That certainly would have bumped the figure up given they took up most of the stand behind the basket.

The key now is for us to back up against teams much better than Cairns (who were shocking last night - having Crosswhite out didn't help them).

Reply #264237 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Much better in the second half when they made quick decisions on Offense.
They need to push the ball much quicker, we have spot up shooters and drivers.
They can't let the other team setup their D everytime before trying to run isolation plays.
Move the ball quickly so players can get open early in the shot clock and the D isn't setup.

Reply #264242 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

The Fox Sports call was abominable. It nearly makes me consider watching the game on mute. Shane Heal makes the most ridiculous gaffs every game he commentates on. This weeks was claiming that the 6ers need to get the ball in to 'Redhage' (he meant Ballinger)????? Then he doesn't bother apologising for or correcting his cock up and the footy commentators don't know enough to correct him. The footy commentators defer to Heal's 'expertise' on every call. They don't have a good understanding of the game. Heal also drew attention to last week's gaff on insisting that Gilchrist needed to get back on court and stop being a sook after he'd actually fouled out and the commentators were none the wiser. Speaking of which, he insisted that Burston was fouled out last night when he was actually on 4. Watching him interview Groves at half time was funny after Heal's comments about Groves as a team mate. Groves probably wanted to deck him, much like everyone else! Painful to watch and listen to.

Reply #264243 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Win is a win . But some of our shooting and turnovers were shocking with Ballinger missing so many easy shots and Burston having a Cooper type of attempts to put ball in ring.
GOOD
Passing -- Well Scotty obviously had a word to Gilchrist and Groves re holding onto the ball too long as most times tried to move it around and create open shots etc .
Didnt work for a 1st half as got used to and poor shooting but was good to see and got results 2nd half.
NG -- Lot of us saying get NG with a open shot he will nail them he did . Hope all gain confidence from.
Herbert -- This guy huge addition to our team and had massive start to game until soft fouls called to put him in foul trouble.
Groves -- Best game so far although still stuffed up at key times . But learnt from Perth and drove hard as PG to edge of keyway to set up play.
Hill
After some poor turnovers nailed some open Threes and working harder on D .
Bad
Shooting - on the game that we worked on getting the ball in both Adam and Matty had bad shooting games . Hope persist as know these two will score if given opportunity quick enough.
UGLY
REFS -- I have been pretty cool about refs this year but last night was bl---y awful especially that Shields guy. Some of the silliest fouls ever seen.

Reply #264245 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Oh and Hereschenes, Heal took to calling Ng 'Darren' for the majority of the nigh, instead of N-G

Reply #264246 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

BT actually made the call on Burston, then was good enough to correct himself. Heal was typical Heal, calling Ng Darren all night. Could be worse, could have no coverage at all.

Well done Sixers, 4 on the road now..Missed my tip by 1 point.

Reply #264252 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I don't want to go on about it but the umpiring was just a disgrace. I see Michael Butler at some games & assume he is marking their performance - I'd love to see some of the comments.

Is the NBL or clubs going to do anything in the offseason to try & improve this area?

Reply #264255 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Quasi

What was the half-time convo between Cortez and Heal like?

I was at the venue and staring out of curiosity. I was looking for the tension or a blue to happen between the 2. Interesting indeed.

Reply #264260 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Tez looked like he couldn't wait to get away. Same as Ng at the end of the game, jogged off half way through a question from Heal.

Reply #264266 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sorry just saw you asked quasi.

Reply #264267 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Much better in the second half when they made quick decisions on Offense. They need to push the ball much quicker, we have spot up shooters and drivers. They can't let the other team setup their D everytime before trying to run isolation plays. Move the ball quickly so players can get open early in the shot clock and the D isn't setup."

Spot on Aussie bballer. It was there for all to see when we broke the game open with some quick offence that got us several open threes in a row.

I think you can see that the guys are trying to improve their offence. There was much more of an attempt to move the ball tonight and Ng benefited big time from that. It was fortunate that he was on, because our big men couldn't buy a basket with 4 points between Balls and Buston at the half!

X - I also thought Burston was slipping his defender off the screen well and getting good position, so it was disappointing that our guards couldn't find an angle to get it to him more often. Same thing in the open court - I feel our guards don't do a good enough job of advancing the ball quickly to guys running the floor. Guys like Groves and Hill should be getting several fast break layups a game if we run it right.

Does anyone else think the Sixers do an unusual amount of gesturing, trying to get their team mates into the right position at both ends of the floor? I really noticed it last night and I think that it shows, unfortunately, that most our guys still aren't on the same wavelength most of the time. Something Scotty needs to work on big time, because we just aren't a cohesive team most of the time.

Anyway, thats enough negativity. Bottom line is we needed this one and we got it. Hopefully our team learnt that if you move the ball and get the Ninja some open looks, you can stay in games even when Balls has zero points at half time!

Lets hope they have a good crack at the Blaze on Friday. I think we can get the win up there if we take care of the ball and keep it moving on offence.

Reply #264268 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bad
Shooting
I know you're mostly speaking about Ballinger's first-half misses, but the team shot 55% overall which is very decent.

Reply #264275 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Rotations seemed better for me..

I actually liked the team dynamics when Groves had the ball as the point...Gilchrist holds it way too long...

they still seem tentative to feed the post at the right times...not sure if that is a coaches directive...doubt it..but if it is, no point in running with Burston at all..

NG was exceptional, and a great value off the bench....

was a decent game to watch...

Reply #264280 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

The_Champ33 - Yeah, I agree with DB5, the interview looked really awkward and Tez only gave stock standard replies to questions. The Ng interview at the end was a non event as well

Reply #264281 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Thanks Quasi and DB5 for that, I appreciate it.

I didn't see the Ng one as I already left the building.

I could tell Tez didn't want to be there and get away quick.

Reply #264288 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A win is a win. A platform from which to build on.

Reply #264290 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Good:
Ng's shooting, supported by a good cast.
Cortez playing point - just seems more natural there.
Winning one that needed winning, even if it was ugly at times.
Cortez's fast break dunk.
Playing a more uptempo game in the second half.
Skip Mills hitting some clutch shots with the shotclock running out.

Bad:
Won't always shoot that well - live by the 3, die by the 3.
Have to say it unfortunately, Ballinger's defence. Almost all of Cairn's first ten point came from defensive lapses by Ballinger. Just where was his head last night for the first three quarters?
Brad Hill - where is his head any night? Much better use of him in the second half as a spot up shooter only (but only because the shots dropped last night).
Relapses to the old stagnant offense, particularly in the second half.
Last night at times looked like the battle of who could care less. We only won because Cairns was more incompetent than us.

Ugly:
Incompetent team defence in the first half. I really dislike the spread 3-2 zone the team plays.
Skip Mills - taking CJ Bruton's title as the leagues most shameless flopper. (Gilchrist tried hard to take this award, but was totally outclassed)
The umpires - particularly for falling for Mill's flop 'charge'.

Reply #264292 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The behind the back was a nice one, but that three missed.
There was one earlier than that where Ng passed it up to I'm pretty sure it was Hill who nailed it from the corner.

Will have to have another viewing of the Ng show tonight I think ;) After the Breakers Tigers game.

Reply #264294 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

That bloody travel on Cortez was a joke.

Reply #264297 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I've wanted to say this since I first saw Darren Ng nail his 1st 3pointer:

Brett Maher, the heir to your throne may have arrived.

I friggin knew Ninja could shoot the lights out like that; nailed some great quick-release threes in the collection too. Great composure all night. Just needs to work more on his pick and pop shooting, then I think we may have a true replacement for Maher.

As for the reffing "It's called Pivoting!; I'm sorry that your eyes can't keep up with the movement, but you don't call travel when you can't keep up with the footwork. Skip mills step-back moves were Travel. Crossing over then leaping back with two feet for a jump shot is travel. This isn't the NBA; and he isn't Kobe."

Reply #264302 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Big Marty I like you optimism and am NG fan also .
But a long way to go in many areas of game to even be compared to get to Bretts standard yet.
Certainly has a lovely shooter, but has to do that under real pressure. Hope gives team and himself confident in his ability to score

Reply #264311 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I also thought that play where Ninja was credited with a miss was actually a pass.

Reply #264358 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Beantown, yep, I've noticed that gesuring as well, Gilchrist in particular is ALWAYS waiting and pointing and talking at his team mates, it seems to me we're too focussed on running plays to the letter rather than exploiting opportunities. Example last night when a loose ball popped out to the wing, Balls was back to the basket with single coverage but the wing passed it straight up to the top and reset the offence.

Perhaps I'm lamenting Phil's f*ck it let's go for the win style of coaching, but I'd like to see us play a little looser. While I'm on the topic, I wouldn't mind seeing our shooters play some catch and shoot ball, don't know if they don't have the coach's green light to shoot first ask questions later but I'd rather see Darren do that with 12 seconds on the shot clock than see Gilchrist jack up a contested three as the clock expires.

Reply #264365 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754