LC
Years ago

Are the Tigers about to sign Donta Smith?

Rumours abound that the Melbourne Tigers are about to announce the signing of point guard Donta Smith as their second import for the remainder of the seaosn as they try to claw their way into 4th spot and the finals.

I orginally heard that Smith may have been headed to the Brekaers but they went in another direction as already confirmed.

Can anyone help clarify to verify this?

Topic #22069 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't confirm but he'd be a great fit for the tigers.

Reply #264089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

point guard?

Reply #264100 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Donta Smith was finals MVP of the South Drasgon's premiership team and would be a great fit if true.

Reply #264116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Donta is no point guard. The Tigers did state they were going with a perimeter option; a combo guard that just finished college. Apparently.

Reply #264129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless they find a way to cut up Sammy macks contract, they'd be going well over the cap to afford this guy. NBL needs to stop teams from 'buying championships' itll kill off interest for fans from teams outside of the richer teams.

Reply #264130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it funny that there's no questioning of New Zealand and their cap when they sign a player but it's a different situation for the Tigers.

If you think Mackinnon is on a lot of money think again - maybe you shouldn't post things if you don't know the facts.

Reply #264139 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I have heard Mackinnon is not on big money any more. His best days are past him and no one wants to risk cap space in case he breaks down again.

Reply #264161 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

maybe its just that people are bloody sick and tired of teams like the tigers breaking rules and the league doing nothing about it or should l say to fxxking gutless to do the right thing.THEN AGAIN MAYBE THE 36ERS SHOULD GROW SOME BALLS AND DO THE SAMETHING

Reply #264162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers have already done this - I recall them being found guilty of breaching the salary cap. The Tigers haven't been. Anyway, we all know that a number of teams were over last season, but what amazes me is the amount the Tigers cop over the salary cap while other teams aren't questioned.

Reply #264164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id say the Tigers are picked on purely to do with the fact no fan likes that fat guy mcpeake he just rubs people up the wrong way.

Reply #264166 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Because we all know how the Tigers operate.

It would be like Sturt playing Jake & NG $80k & the 36ers playing them $20k each. It's not really in good faith is it?

Reply #264167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point is, though, that the Tigers are not alone. I think that's what people are missing. Mind you, I'm not sure that there are breaches of the salary cap this year, like there were last year from a number of teams.

Reply #264169 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

Well it's now melbourne, breakers and adelaide fighting for the 4th spot. this makes the tigers a team noone wants to face in the playoffs

Reply #264205 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I find it funny that there's no questioning of New Zealand and their cap when they sign a player but it's a different situation for the Tigers."

Probably because no one has ever heard of NZ's guy and and the general consensus on Donta is that he is one of the highest paid imports to play in the NBL in recent years.

Who said "Great fit"?

Terrible fit! Great player but wow, watching Hodge play with this guy should be funny. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get stomped on for taking too many shots!

Reply #264208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd heard they were looking at a combo-guard who just finished college so I suspect no one has heard of this guy.

Reply #264238 | Report this post

grella  
Years ago

melboure tigers will have their import by their game against the wildcats next week, its not donta smith
they should hav a good run home with playoffs still possible now

Reply #264308 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754