Isaac
Years ago

Forum modifications

Just a quick update. I've modified the query that builds the main index and it should now be roughly 7 times its original speed.

The time it takes to load that front page is composed of a few elements -- you querying the server, the server querying the database, the server sending the information back to you, and your browser rendering it -- and that second item is where the improvement has been made. You'll still get the usual lag of internet traffic and rendering a page full of laid-out text, but roughly 7-10 seconds have been shaved off.

The other change worth mentioning are the index listing options. You'll see them at the top of the index where it says:

Topics: Recent | Latest Action | Most Reads | Most Replies

Hopefully someone will find these useful. Recent is the default you're used to. Latest Action (which I think most people will like) shows topics with replies, ordered by their most recent replies; a lot of internet forums are ordered like this, but it means that new topics can quickly disappear from the front of the site. Most Reads and Most Replies are self-explanatory. Most Reads is weighted against older topics as the read-count wasn't introduced until a few months ago.

Oh, and for a bit of fun, below the Reply Leaderboard, I've added the Hoops SA Starting Five which shows the top five posters from the last seven days. Should give us a fair indication of who's slacked off at work, on holiday, etc...

There should be more changes over the coming months.

Topic #2209 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

As always - Love your work.

Thanks Isaac.

Reply #24996 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, great work. Can I just ask about the recent posts list on the right hand side. Why is it that when you click on any one of them, it takes you to the beginning of that subject instead of straight to the one you've clicked on? Is this how the majority of people like it?

Reply #25027 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

Hey Isaac, where has "Kate"'s post gone??????

Was that our guru copping a flaming by any chance.....

Reply #25040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haha, she was being patronising!

EC, I think it works for smaller threads, but not longer ones. There might be a maximum on the number of anchored links within a HTML page. Not sure.

Reply #25044 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, this site has always done OK as far as attention (number of hits, etc) goes, but the last two weeks look to have been the strongest for some time.

Reply #25062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754