Isaac
Years ago

Ballinger will fly to NZ, play through pain

Heroic Hood Sweeney Adelaide 36ers Captain, Adam Ballinger, has decided to join his team in New Zealand despite only rating himself 70% fit. Treatment on his back injury today meant that he is confident enough that he can play through the pain of the injury in what is a must win game in New Zealand.

Ballinger injured his back in warming up for the game against the Melbourne tigers Saturday night. His subsequence performance in playing on despite being in obvious pain has been touted as one of the most courageous performances by an Adelaide player. Coach Scott Ninnis likened it to club legend Mark Davis playing a week after dislocating his shoulder.

Ballinger will continue treatment upon returning to Adelaide post Thursday nights match.

Ballinger will fly to New Zealand tomorrow to join his team mates whom departed today. He will be at Adelaide airport, Wednesday 7am, for a flight that heads to Melbourne at 7:30am.

Best of luck Balls - hope you come through OK!

Topic #22121 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep big effort, i guess this really is the last roll of the dice. Hopefully he gets through fine but you know he will get a few elbows in the lower back to test him out.

Reply #265009 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I don't agree with this move, however he truly has Balls and tough.

Reply #265015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Balls of Steel.

Reply #265019 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Awesome effort.He will definately be walking gingerly though.

Reply #265021 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Hey DB5 was that meant to be a double play on words

Reply #265025 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yes. Was it bad?

Reply #265033 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I don't like this move either. Surely if he plays he will just aggravate it more and miss more games. If he feels he will come through the game and play in subsequent games then thats fine. Its not game 7 of the NBA playoffs. It is only a slim chance we will make it to the finals, so I don't think it is worth it if his not fully fit.

Reply #265039 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

That's The Aussie Spirit! Although i am a little scared it may not work out to well, fingers crossed he comes out of the game OK!

Reply #265042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably figures he wants to lead by example in fighting until the end. No doubt the team and club left the decision to him without pressure. I don't think they would want to risk long term damage.

Reply #265043 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes - He mentioned that he wouldn't normally go, when he's like this, but it's the importance of a win to keep the season alive for any chance at getting 4th spot.

Reply #265062 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti today:

Ballinger yesterday said he was feeling "about 70 per cent" which by today would translate into close enough to "good to go".

"He told us to book his ticket so we did," Sixers chief executive Ben Fitzsimons said.

Reply #265118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge display of BALLS, BUT I agree that Ballinger should be waiting until he is fully fit also. He is a true Captain to want to lead by example regardless of circumstance to help us get the Win. That's taking one for the team. You got my vote long ago. Good luck Balls.

Reply #265119 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good luck Balls. Even if you sit on the bench next to Molly, you will inspire the team.

Have an L&P and a battered sav at the stadium - they are delish!

Reply #265135 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Ballinger is a soldier - MASSIVE respect. That guy is the heart of our team these days.

Reply #265254 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754