LC
Years ago

36ers vs Breakers, 21 Jan

Big game for both sides as they try to hang onto what is left of their playoff aspirations. A loss to either side is likely to seal their fate.

Can the 36ers get the win over the Breakers today?

NBL website Preview: http://linky.com.au/oxhab

Past Five Games
Breakers: LLLLW
Sixers: LLWLL

Past Three Head-to Head
Adelaide 36ers 85-92 New Zealand Breakers, Round 12, 2009/10
New Zealand Breakers 99-91 Adelaide 36ers, Round 6, 2009/10
Adelaide 36ers 80-76 New Zealand Breakers, Round 2, 2009/10

Season Series
Breakers 2-1 Sixers

I predict the Breakers to win by 7.

Topic #22136 | Report this topic

Dazzman  
Years ago

Although I hate to say it, NZ are due for a big one.

Breakers by 18pts

Reply #265305 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Not feeling confident about this one.

Reckon a couple of airfares have been wasted. If some players are just getting paid to sit on the bench, then I'll suit up and pay the Sixers$500 and sit on the bench in their place. That'll create a positive cash flow for the club.

I believe the game will be won on three point shooting. I don't believe we can adequately control CJ and "spenda" Penney outside the arc and there are too many 3 point shooters in the Brakers - even Oscar "the grouch" does well.

NZ 214/589 3P (36.3%) 27 3PA/game
AD 173/486 3P (35.6%) 21 3PA/game

The games we have won this season, we have put up plenty of 3PA, tonight, if we are serious about 4th spot, we need to jack up when we are open.

Reply #265308 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ must be due for a win but I'll believe it when I see it and I'll prob still wait for the fat lady to sing before I celebrate

Reply #265362 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nothing would surprise me in this one. It's a battle of two teams with a love for giving up games. The one good thing to come out of it will be that at least one of my two teams is guaranteed to win.

Reply #265364 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Unless there is a bomb scare Isaac and the game gets called off :)

Reply #265375 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

bring on MAORI TV!!

I cant wait to be annoyed by the commentators constanly saying RICK RICKETT or "the breakers need a good offinsive sit!"

SIXERS in a close one provided........

BRAD HILL BREAKS HIS ANKLE IN WARM UP or at least STOPS PUTTING UP SHOTS FROM THE ARC! and HERBERT gets some decent COURT TIME

Reply #265390 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

"Holy thrilla-in-Manilla. How bad would it be if the 36ers were your favourite team but you also had a relative playing for the Breakers so you followed them keenly too?

That sure would suck.

(Let me know if you're out there. We can arrange a UN parcel drop.)"

Boti today.

? A not so subtle joke at the expense of our fearless administrator :)

Reply #265391 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Already emailed Boti to ask what one might get in a UN parcel drop, any good snacks, etc.

Reply #265395 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

A Hans Blix doll from his appearance in Team America ?

Reply #265400 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

I'm gonna go for the 36ers in this one. Backs against the wall and nothing to lose. Hopefully Balls can inspire the team.
Adelaide by 12

Reply #265402 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its the battle for sixth! Sixers by six sounds like it was meant to be!

Reply #265405 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

hope we get to see it, this isnt looking good!

Reply #265407 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Team Adelaide ... FECK YEAH!!!

Reply #265408 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

blown away in the second. Lets hope we get on a run!!!!!!

Reply #265411 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

maybe as part of our strategy we are sucking in the 2nd not 3rd now?

Reply #265413 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Gee did we actually have a player on court in the second. Hello Penny!!!!!!!

Disaster!!!!!!!

Reply #265414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Up by 7... to down by 15 in less than 8 minutes

Goddamn pathetic

Reply #265415 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Pathetic is too kind!!!!

Come on boys show us something!

Reply #265416 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Can we get Maori tv here on the internet anyone?

Ive just been listening on NZ sport radio and keeping live stats open.

Hope for a run in the second half!!

Reply #265418 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

ayjay do you have a link for the radio feed?

Reply #265422 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

click on link to maori tv from breakers web site then look at guide and click on sport radio.

Reply #265425 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

oops! then click on listen

Reply #265426 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

thanks

Reply #265427 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

3 quarter time.... breakers up 72-68

Can we do it??

Reply #265429 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yes we can.

Reply #265430 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

:)

Reply #265431 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Cmonnn darrennnnnnnnnnnnnn :)

Reply #265432 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

Herbie! What a great O board and put back!

Reply #265433 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I wonder if Penney will have a chance at POW! we are starting to slip behind now and the clock is a issues.

Reply #265434 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

I think a 40+ game has gotta be POW in this league

Reply #265435 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Calling time of death 6.13pm. Brave effort but no good. Have to wonder about Ballinger going over, played a decent amount of time but production was down. Guess its hard to tell from stats if it was good D or what.

Reply #265436 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

damn :(

Reply #265437 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Joshuapending, I agree, he could hardly move though. It was a shocking decision to put him back in during the fourth for Holmes, who had been going really well.

Penney was awesome, shot maginifcently, but here is a radical idea: HOW ABOUT GETTING A HAND IN HIS MOTHERF*CKING FACE!!! I cannot believe how open he was the whole time. Very similar game to our number 6. I'd rather have Brittany Murphy as a second import than Cortez.

Gilchrist, well, again he stats very well, but he just goes for such long periods without getting anyone else involved. Ng went on a run but instead of continuing to go to him Gilchrist reverted to jive-ball.

It is so bloody hard to enjoy watching this team at the moment.

Reply #265438 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

I get the feeling that Gilchrist doesn't like passing the ball to Ng when Darren has an open shot. And then Gilchrist starts with the "I'm an amazing dribbler thing". Please give us a break, surely Scotty can tell the guy to pass the ball, or maybe that is one of the many things he lacks as a coach? Said it before, great player, great assistant coach, not a head coach. Another game down the drain and me thinks any chance of a playoff berth. Does this spell the end for coaching staff, at least one import and a couple of bench players. Surely the SOS group can see the writing on the wall???????

Reply #265442 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Mutley yes I wwould rather watch any Brittany play than Groves .
If he doesnt look pathetic enough with those arm things then his pathetic play matches up .
Every week he just loses the handle on the ball as he did in last 3 mins of game sometimes 2-3 times.
Then it his awful shots and Penney and CJ just blew past him and had easy open shots on his D,
Also he loves to what Mutley calls Jive ball as well which adds to the total dislike of this waste of space import .
SOS if cant afford a proper import just recycle Davo or someone not this jerk.
SOS if serious about team Scotty has blown his chances . Scotty you pick them you have to make it work

Reply #265443 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Just not good enough. We are now seventh, and only one game (plus the season split) in front of Cairns. To finish dead last would actually be an appropriate way to end this season.

I don't care what Goorjian costs, get him in here.

Reply #265446 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Don't mean to kick you while you are down but defensively it was schoolboy stuff, never exemplified better than with 8 second to go in the third from a made FT, CJ goes the length of the floor for an UNCONTESTED layup.
Your team just CANNOT defend to save themselves.
Oh well kick started our stretch drive!!

Reply #265451 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Your team just CANNOT defend to save themselves.

Obviously the Penney never dropped for our defenders :(

Reply #265453 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Season definitely over now...time to rebuild - preferably from the coach down.

Reply #265456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bet nobody thought of this, Penney POTW

Reply #265457 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

who was guarding Penney? any takers? Ninnis, great job mate. Absolutely ridiculous!!! Sack the coach asap!

Reply #265458 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm sighing too hard to formulate an articulate appraisal.

Or eulogy.

Reply #265459 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Didn't I say we can't control "Spenda" Penney?

Reply #265462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BRAD HILL BREAKS HIS ANKLE IN WARM UP...

PATHETIC! GROW UP IDIOT.

Reply #265466 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

a) Key immediately to the left of the 'a' button.
b) Huh?

Reply #265474 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Terminate Ninnis' contract right now. The games that are left are all but useless so let the team go on court without a coach. Makes no difference now (correction, may even be an improvement). I've gotten to the stage that I don't even like Ninnis any more for allowing this to happen. If he wasn't up to the job, he should have shown some responsibility by quitting and allowing someone else to come in instead of hanging on and driving the team further and further to the ground. Having a poor record is one thing but to not even be able to admit to any fault is a sign that he is never going to improve because he doesn't believe he does anything wrong.

Reply #265478 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Mutley, Goorjian's record indicates he will bring you a championship at the expense of your entire club. That's too rich for anyone's blood.

Reply #265480 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

How long was Ninnis's contract for?

Reply #265487 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

aussieboomers4eva - fair point. How about an Admin sanctioned team/cap under Brian's regime though?

I've hated him as much as any Sixer fan, but he wins.

Reply #265497 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

the fat lady sung and NZ got a win :)

Reply #265501 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Mystro, agreed. Adelaide has nothing to play for now, not even the Flint Michigan Mega Bowl.

Reply #265507 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

for the next games start all the reserves and see what they can do.

Need to give Molitor some serious minutes. Put Balls in cotton wool for next year.

Reply #265510 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Mutley, the Sixers have an excellent opportunity to put some wooden-ware in the trophy cabinet. We are only one win ahead of Cairns, with a tricky schedule coming up.

First wooden spoon for the Sixers? Now there is something to play for to aviod.

Reply #265511 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Wake me when we stop sucking...

... or if we throw some sort of wooden ticker-tape parade through the city.

Reply #265512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Gilchrist padding his stats in the last couple of minutes of the game? He'd done nothing all game and was then determined to pick up some cheap points when the game was over.

Reply #265513 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I think the whole "Goorjian makes teams go broke" argument is overplayed. It's an interesting observation for sure, and Boti's scored a few cheap laughs from it over the years, but IMO it seems like a massive reductionism to suggest that the Kings/Titans/Dragons etc. going under can be pinned on Goorjian alone. It's not like they were all rockin' franchises with massive public support before Goorjian joined them. Given the 36ers' history of loyal fan support, I think any coach would increase crowd numbers at the BMC if the team was playing with some passion and winning games. Does anyone here seriously want to suggest that a successful Goorjian-coached 36ers team would send the 36ers broke?

That said, it'd be a miracle if he came here after all the abuse he's copped from the south stand over the years! It would be truly surreal to watch him pacing up and down on the home bench side...

Reply #265516 | Report this post

crowfan  
Years ago

that last quarter 5 minutes was painful to watch..
one important play really pissed me off, Gilchrist at the top of the 3, shows off his dribbling skills then takes a contested 3.. ala Lebron James -- dude u aint lebron!

Reply #265521 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Goorjian's signing would be the death nell of the Sixers like all teams he has coached beforehand. His style of play relies on the referees no calls. Hence his failure to succeed on the international scene. His record with local teams, has been go to a successfull team, spend up big and play a brand of basketball that drives away spectators then the Club/Owner subsequently goes broke or stops funding a finacial black hole.

After seriuosly considering relinguising my season's tickets for the past two seasons because of the Scott Ninnis appointment I would have no hesitation if Goorjian was appointed.

Bye Bye 4 Season Tickets after 25 years.

Reply #265531 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

Seriosly Bake you would say yes to a coach like Ninnis who can't get it done instaed of a coach that is the best coach Australia has ever seen? No one is even close to his record.

Reply #265546 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I said no to Ninnis from the start. As a player he was a front runner, great in the open court, an offensive and defensive liability most of the time. Brad Hill has modelled his game on him. As for Goorgian being the best coach Australias ever seen, it all depends on your perspective. Number of championships to games coached = No. Number of championships with stacked teams = No. Championships playing dour, scragging, stadium emptying, team bankrupting basketball = Yes

Sixers coach? No thank you.

Phil Smyth has a better record as a coach in the NBL

Reply #265587 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

hereschenes, that's exactly what I said in a previous post about Goorjian. There is a big difference to the Adelaide fan base compared to the fan base of the clubs that went under while Goorjian was coaching. A coach that can manage a team to win games is going to increase the fan base.

Bake, what a load of nonsense about the boring style of play that Goorjian coaches. I don't know where you get your boredom or excitement from but my boredom comes from continuously losing games and my excitement comes when we win games. I have never felt excitement at any game where we played poorly regardless of the coach's style. The fan's interest will come from consistent wins and they will consistently come to watch their team play when they are winners instead of losers.

Reply #265613 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

I'm with bake. Season ticket holder since 1997, handing in all 5 if they get Goorjian - particularly given its impossible to "critique" him from my seats when he is on the western bench.

Its not just about the diehard fans. Corporate money is the key. A few boxes, courtside seats etc would bring in more than all of us diehards put together. No company is going to entertain guests at the basketball if it is not an attractive game. Winning isn't everything, and turning every match into a dour defensive arm wrestle is no way to win and retain corporate support and more casual fans.

I wonder if corporate sales went up or down when Goorjian was at the Kings?

Reply #265631 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

bear, why is it then that the crowds are lower when the team is not winning but increase with a winning streak? Why is it that the crowds start walking away from the game before it even finishes when its obvious that the team is going lose, yet they stay put in their seats until the end if its likely they will win? I am pretty sure you underestimate the value of winning games no matter how its done. The refs are there to make sure everything is above board, so what's the problem?

Reply #265635 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I have to agree with EC here (yes I eally did just say that)

If you are winning they will come.

Just this week alone I have had 3 friends (who know nothing of basketball) on facebook comment about the Sixers and their lack of ability this season, one even making the comment that they are "fckn retards" If we were winning its these type of people who would be jumping on the bandwagon and coming to games.

Same goes for corporates. Sure some boxes are held by people who love the game and are there wholy for the on floor display but from my experience most people who go to the game in a corporate capacity are there to get on the piss, network and be entertained. Sure the game is part of this entertainment but IMO being associated with a winner would be more important than seeing 5 dunks a 1/4.

Reply #265636 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

EC, I have followed the Sixers since about 1984. I used to go to double header games with West and the Sixers. For almost 20 years we were told that for the NBL to be successfull there had to be a winning team in Sydney. In the early years a blind eye was turned toward Sydney with regard salary cap and on field indicretions. They would pull capacity crowds despite not winning championships. When they started to win under Goorjian they could hardly pull teeth hence they folded.

Goorjian has always coached winning teams but all the clubs he coached ultimately folded. Why, if your theory is correct?

Incidently I went to a Bullets/Sydney mid season game at Boondall in the early 90's and was part of a 14750 crowd. Something the owners of the Buulets, under Joey Wright, and the Kings, under Goorgian could only dream about.

Reply #265638 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Spot on Bake

Reply #265663 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

EC - winning games no matter it has to be done did nothing for BGs previous teams in terms of sponsorship, following etc.

I see your point about the casual but interested fan, however, win or lose the Sixers have enough die hard fans to maintain a crowd better than the Kings could have dreamed of. The casual fans are the same fans that will leave as soon as they see how boring the product has become under a BG regime.

Obviously in all sports everyone prefers a winner, but the type of winner BG makes is not an attractive one.

I'm occasionally in some corporate seats, and if the Sixers lose in an entertaining game those around me are still generally happy. You don't want a team of boring winners as a remedy to an audience situation - look at the NBA TV ratings for the Spurs a few years as an example (although I quite liked watching them)

The fact is the Sixers have played an entertaining, generally uptempo game ever since I've been watching them, and it is what the fans have come to expect.

Spend the money on an upgrade on Ninnis and get a decent young Aussie and you will still find change from BGs salary, plus you won't have a season ticket holder walk out :)

Reply #265676 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754