Isaac
Years ago

Locked: SOS member arrested for alleged fraud

Sorry guys, I've been away for the weekend and other moderators have been managing the topics created about this current issue trying to limit any legal issues. I'll put up something from AdelaideNow and then a statement from the 36ers, but it's probably best to keep this otherwise locked from comments on the advice of someone who works for the police.

Here's part of a story from AdelaideNow:

The man charged with defrauding Flinders University of more than $20 million is a member of the group set up to save the Adelaide 36ers.

Christopher Fuss, 46, of Glengowrie, has made a brief appearance in the Adelaide Magistrates Court , where he was charged with stealing $20.5 million from the university.

He will spend three months in custody while police build their case against him.

He has been charged with five counts of deception, allegedly committed between October and January.
Full story: 'Fraudster' helped save 36ers

And here's a statement issued by the 36ers on Friday, Jan 20:
Today the Adelaide 36ers were shocked to learn that a long time fan of Basketball, advocate and more recently director of the club, Chris Fuss has been arrested.

The board of the Adelaide 36ers held an emergency board meeting this evening and has taken immediate and appropriate action in light of these allegations.

The club held meetings with all players and staff this afternoon to inform them of the situation and to reassure them that there is no impact on the operations of the club.

The board has elected to quarantine the minimal financial contributions made by Mr Fuss and is ready to cooperate fully with relevant authorities.

The club would also like to reassure all sponsors, supporters and the Adelaide public that this has no impact on the current and future operations of the club and we look forward to our remaining two home games on January 30th and February 13th.
I guess this is a distinct advantage of having a broad array of owners should one fall out of the equation.

Topic #22170 | Report this topic