Anonymous
Years ago

Norwood Easter Tournament vs Gaze/Timms?

Who will be attending Norwood tournament this year. There is a lot of talk about the new Gaze/Timms invitational tournament being at the same time in Melbourne. Will this be where most of the top teams go as a pre classic warm up?

Topic #22184 | Report this topic

;;  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers still coming over.

Reply #265924 | Report this post

keilor  
Years ago

cant wait for norwood 2 u16 boys match up v Keilor

Reply #265925 | Report this post

keilor  
Years ago

on another note - if this causes the eventual decline of norwood tourney (which it probably will with gaze and timms pissing in everyones ear over there) - BA need to step in - vics pinching another sa sporting weekend.

and ;; how long do you think melbourne tigers will be coming over here with gaze organizing a tourney over there.

norwood need to start looking elsewhere for a revenue raiser

Reply #265927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps but maybe getting different teams to come would be just as good.

Norwood have been doing this for a long time so I think support should be given by all local clubs as it has been. Attracting more country teams is just as good. Some good country teams out there that would compete well.

SA Country sent a boys team last year and that wa. Good for all the boys involved.

Some focus is lost on winning and not on developement. Which is why the different divisions is good at norwood.

Reply #265928 | Report this post

keilor  
Years ago

need gun teams from vic over.

need as many vic championship, metro 1 and 2 teams over.

didnt bulleeen used to run an easter tourney ? - hence Timms getting something up.

all we can hope for is the vics support us - which teams dislike bulleen and melb tigers ?

all norwood can do is work with those associations and get them in.

IMO - if a decent melb tourney starts over easter - norwood tourney will drop right off the radar as a premier event.

Reply #265929 | Report this post

keilor  
Years ago

from the web......

"GAZETIMMS Invitational tournament

Andrew Gaze and Michele Timms wish to invite your team to the

Gaze-Timms Easter invitational tournament

Thursday 1st, Friday 2nd, Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th April 2010

Under 12, 14, 16 & 18 Boys & Girls (Invitation only)

Team entry by invitation only

* All VC Boys & Girls Teams U12-U18

* Wildcard Victorian/Interstate teams who will provide sufficient competition to VC teams

Melbourne Sports & Aquatic Centre

Aughtie Drive

Albert Park

Entry fee $440

No other door entry costs

Round one offers close November 20th 2009 "

Reply #265930 | Report this post

keilor  
Years ago

so another interstate trip for decent SA Div 1 teams - when they were coming here before - BSA need to protest - although nothing we can do - but this will sink championship grade over Easter here.

more cost for a decent div 1 family here.

Reply #265931 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bulleen used to run with the Labour Day weekend.

Still undecided on this new tourney...

Reply #265932 | Report this post

Years ago

decision made IMO - RIP championship grade Norwood Easter tourney.

top SA Div 1 teams - book your motel now.

timms and gaze have stuck it right up norwood -going head to head and will take all the championship teams.

all SA will get will be ex pat South Aussies playing metro 1,2,3 or regional comps from melb

hardly [reparation for our div 1 teams - whilst the vics all get another round of hard games to prepare

Reply #265933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tournament is a $$$ spinner. Nothing more. Gaze and Timms can make their money and continue to keep their profile out there. They see kids and they see dollar signs. The whole Melbourne/Bulleen axis over in Melbourne is getting stronger.

Reply #265936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If word is true about what Gaze and Timms make on their camps then this is a definite money spinner...

Reply #265937 | Report this post

Years ago

government needs to step in - losing money from the state - everyone has to go there now ((((

Reply #265948 | Report this post

Years ago

do your sums -

$440 for 5 or 6 games

$20 per ref per game (3) = $60 for championship grade - so 5 games @ $60 = 300 - + stadium hire electricty.

or 2 refs only $200 for 5 games - leaves $240 per nomination left for court hire / admin.

say 15 teams nominate per championship grade - so
60 teams for boys and 6o teams per girls = 120 teams

120 teams x $440 = 52,800
refs 60 (2 teams per game) x $200 (2 refs for minimum of 5 games) = 12,000
probably get the stadium for ? $10,000 for the weekend

work it out for yourself.

Reply #265950 | Report this post

monkey business  
Years ago

WHY BRING ANOTHER TOURNEY IN GAZE AND TIMMS !@#$%^

Reply #265951 | Report this post

phobos 80  
Years ago

pretty sure no one except bulleen and a few others will do that tournament they have run others like labour day ones and either cancelled because of numbers or mainly bullen teams so will be interesting

Reply #265953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would Melbourne teams want a tournament over Easter where they play all the same teams that they play in the regular season?

They come over to SA for the EC to play SA teams for some variety.

No interstate teams will go to the Gaze/Timms if you have to play on the thursday afternoon.

"Thursday 1st April (games scheduled from 4:00p.m.)"

Reply #265958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Melbourne teams come to Adelaide to play Melbourne teams, this has been happening more and more over the years. It is fair to say that if Sturt pulled out and with the remaining smaller support from other local Clubs, then the Melbourne teams would be better off staying at home and playing.

Reply #265976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am now wondering whether we will compete at the Norwood carnival if this happens. Given it is Easter might just be best to keep it as family time and focus on some team training at times we can manage around family commitments. I presume no Norwood team will accept any invitation from interstate!!

The other option is for one year to send out a protest to Vic and not send anyone to the Nunawading tournie. I know it is drastic but perhaps this will get support from the Vic's to pressure Gaze/Timms to set up a competing tournament on the same weekend. Collectively this might be the best way of protesting except of course that would need some unity between SA clubs!!!

Reply #265978 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

You won't be able to screw over the Nunawading tournament without BV screwing you right back by not inviting any SA teams to Classics.

Reply #265985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not suggesting screwing over Nunawading. I would hope that they may be a supporter of SA in this case as they do get some benefit from us going over there. Try to apply some pressure from within Vic to not attend this new competition though I suspect Gaze/Timms have already sounded out support for this before announcing it.

Reply #266003 | Report this post

sabre tooth  
Years ago

this boycott is not worth it - why should the kids miss out by not going to nunawading - this is an administrative thing that needs to be sorted between norwood exec and gaze and timms.

Norwood need to be dealt in - the wont beat the vics alone

Reply #266039 | Report this post

Deimos 63  
Years ago

I am not sure what every ones worried about. A lot of the Vic teams use the adelaide tournament as a get away. To play good competition, team bonding and just to have a break from vic basketball. The bulleen tourny was around the same time i think two years ago with no teams of any relevance either bothering. Most clubs leave it to the teams themselves to decide on what they would like to do for that period and i know where i would choose - sa.

Reply #266104 | Report this post

flame  
Years ago

The Norwood Easter Carnival has earned the reputation as a well managed tournament with quality teams competing from SA, Vic and New Zealand. Games are played in good spirit in first class stadiums. We receive great feedback from Victorian teams competing and some young adults, who no longer play, have commented to me that coming to Adelaide for the Easter Classic is one of theit playing highlights. New Zealand are back again for the third year in a row.

Yes it is disappointing that a commercial competition is on at the same time given the long tradition of the Norwood Easter Classic but unfortunately we don't have a mortgage on Easter. The Norwood Club continues to work hard to promote and maintain the high standard set for our tournament. We have already received registrations from several Victorian clubs who have increased the number of teams they are bringing to Adelaide. Part of the enjoyment for these clubs is getting away and the doing the team road trip.

I am also confident, as proven last year, that the high quality competition over four days will continue to attract the best SA and Victorian club teams and our NZ friends.

Greg Starkey
Director
Norwood Easter Classic

Reply #266812 | Report this post

Sturty  
Years ago

Astor,

Why would basketball victoia not allow interstate entries?

Nunawading is a terribly run and poor refereed tounrment. My kids club gets more out of going to the Eltham-Dandenong tournament.

If Vic teams want to line Gaze and Timmms pockets, good luck to them.

If they want to enter a good proven tournament, come to SA.

Reply #266826 | Report this post

Stevo 49  
Years ago

It's only VC teams from Vic who are allowed to enter this new tournament, and most of those don't go to the Norwood tourney anyway. The net result might be a couple of teams tops in each age group.

The upside is that the Vic VC teams who previously did not play at that time will now have somewhere to play rather than the big expense of going to Adelaide.

Where is the downside?

Reply #266974 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

Stevo - I thought teams from other states will be invited as well though I am not certain.

Flame - can you confirm that your div 1 teams will, if playing a tournament at Easter, be playing the Norwood carnival?? Can teams from one age group nominate for an older age group like which happened at Starplex.

Thanks

Reply #266978 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

All Norwood Div 1 and 2 teams are required to attend the easter classic, There may also be some of the stronger div 3 teams as well.

Reply #267141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Vic parent who has made the journey to the Norwood tournament each year with a couple of clubs, you should not underestimate the value of what you have. Norwood is a rare opportunity for Vic teams to play interstate tournaments as there is nothing of this stature elsewhere. This tournament is one of the few opportunities for truly national competition and raising the interest in basketball. My advice to Norwood and organisers is to own the Easter Classic and seek participation from WA, QLD and NSW clubs so that challengers look for a more suitable gap in the calendar. The organisation, grading, facilities and reffing at the Easter Classic are as good or better than what we have for the Eltham or Nunawading tournaments. Don't even get compare it to the rubbish that is the Melbourne Tigers or Bulleen tournaments; afterall Dandenong, Melbourne and Bulleen send teams to Norwood each year. There is no doubt the Easter Classic has been one of a number of key tournaments to play a role in Waverley's recent success. Encourage more clubs from Vic metro to send teams and its long term success is assured. I am yet to hear a player, coach or parent say it was not worthwhile.

Reply #269480 | Report this post

Markus  
Years ago

Norwood has nothing to worry about, it owns the Easter comp ... our VC team had discussions prior to Christmas on what we would prefer to do & it was unanimous it was always going to be Adelaide, after the Eltham tournament why would we bother to play against the same teams in a tournament run by the Tigers who seem to be more interested winning at any cost to the detriment of the very competition they play in ??
We come to Adelaide as we enjoy the trip, city, people & even competition !

Reply #270778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tournarmet

Reply #284698 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754