Juror 12
Years ago

NBA Trades and Draft Picks in Hindsight

Just wondering what people's thoughts of some previous trades and draft picks are now after having a chance to see how they have played out over the last few years:

Bogut - OK, so Milwaukee maybe would have been better off with Paul or Williams but remember that the hand check rule wasn't around back then (and PGs seem to have gone higher since then) but I think the Bucks would still be happy with this pick.

Kidd for Harris - Last year when Harris was dropping 30 and 40 point games on the way to becoming an All Star everyone was thinking the Mavs were crazy. But now, with Harris struggling and the Mavs heading for a first round home playoff series I think that Cuban and Co. would be genuinely happy.

Gasol for Gasol - OK, so things seem to be working out OK in Memphis now and the form of Marc makes the trade seem a bit better (especially seeing Pau was unhappy with the Grizz anyway) but they still handed the Lakers a title (or more).

Any thought? Or others to discuss?

Topic #22200 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

Kwame Brown-

Reply #266200 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Yeah I was a real detractor of the Kidd for Harris trade, but things seem to have worked out quite well for Dallas so far this season. Without Kidd Dallas would probably be back in the pack that's fighting for 4 - 8 in the West.

While Paul appears to be a better pick in hindsight, watching Bogut yesterday against Dallas he was sensational. With a better team around Bogut (it's already got potential with Jennings) the Bucks could rise a few spots in the East.

Reply #266205 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Yeah I was a real detractor of the Kidd for Harris trade, but things seem to have worked out quite well for Dallas so far this season. Without Kidd Dallas would probably be back in the pack that's fighting for 4 - 8 in the West.

While Paul appears to be a better pick in hindsight, watching Bogut yesterday against Dallas he was sensational. With a better team around Bogut (it's already got potential with Jennings) the Bucks could rise a few spots in the East.

Reply #266206 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It wasn't the 'hand check' rule which stopped the Bucks taking Williams or CP3. It was the fact that they had selected a lotto point guard in TJ Ford in 2003, and were seriously lacking a decent big man. Bogut was the right pick for the Bucks.

If I had my way...... Adam Morrison, Alexis Ajinca and Sean May..... Quality garbage.

I'd also do a mulligan on DJ Augustine.. Especially since Brook Lopez, Jason Thompson, Anthony Randolph, Speights and Hibbert we still on the board who would of helped a hell of a lot more than a midget PG.

Michael Jordan.... joke of a GM....

Reply #266214 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I think also remember one thing, West has gotten weaker over the years, therefore making it easier for Dallas to get 1st round playoff at home.

as far as Bogut #1 pick for Bucks, I don't think it's the right pick. because generally with first 5 or so picks you'd like to pick for value, then outside of that would be for team 'need'. so to me if Bucks are to look back now and re-pick, it will probably be CP3 or D-WILL. remember with quality pick you can get what you need back through trade later on.

with that said Bogut is doing a good job and Bucks are probably happy with how he's playing (probably not as a #1 pick however).

Reply #266273 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

What about Michael Olowokandi ouch!

Reply #266297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles to LA lol

Reply #266316 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

LA, it's hard to dispute that at the time, Bogut was the right pick. Bogut was the winner of the 2005 Oscar Robertson Trophy, 2005 Wooden Award and 2005 Naismith Award. Right now, I'm not entirely 100% (I'm about 95% sure) sure the Bucks would go with CP3 or D-Will. Also remember at the time, CP3 and D-Will weren't even on the radar for the Bucks. They were tossing up between Marvin Williams and Bogut.

The 04-05 Bucks roster include some awesome (Isaac, we need green font) players, especially in the bigs department like:

Calvin Booth, Marcus Fizer, Dan Gadzuric, Marcus Haislip, Zendon Hamilton, Zaza Pachulia, Daniel Santiago, Keith Van Horn and Joe Smith.

Not a starting centre in that lot at all...

The smalls include:

TJ Ford, Reece Gaines, Anthony Goldwire, Eddie House, Mike James, Michael Redd and Mo Williams.

That's not a bad brigade of smalls. It's much better than the bigs.

I wish Michael Jordan had the ability to predict the future (yes, pointing you out Mr Morrison, Mr McMay, Mr Ajinca and Mr Augustine).

Reply #266322 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If I was going to start a team around someone, I'd go with Paul rather than Bogut. So in that sense, Paul and not Bogut, should have been #1. But I agree with TR, its hard to be critical of the Bucks for picking Bogut given the roster they had at the time and the massive impact Bogut had on college basketball that year. From their point of view, Bogut WAS the best value pick at the time.

Reply #266338 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

A couple of doozies close to my heart were:

Celtics (during the horrible Gaston/ Chris Wallace era) sending Joe Johnson to the Suns for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk! Okay, they had their East Conference Finals run, but then ownership refused to pay Rogers so he walked! Ouch! If only they'd traded Walker for Rogers and Delk!

Ainge trading for Telfair instead of just taking Roy or Gay in 2006! Fortunately this didn't hurt the Celtics as badly as it could have, because it did bring Theo Ratliff's expiring contract to Boston, which was a critical component of the Garnett trade.
Ainge also redeemed himself by stealing Rondo off Phoenix in the same draft!

Reply #266339 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I understand at the time Bogut was the 'big thing' so what I was saying is if Bucks get to repick now, they would have chosen Paul

Reply #266341 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

I'm not sure if they picked now that the bucks would take Paul. Particularly since they now have Jennings.

Generally, good bigs are harder to find than good smalls. If Bogut improves a little more to be a 20/10 and 2 guy rather than 15/10 and 2 I think it was the right pick for the Bucks. The East is weak in terms of quality big bodies and he could dominate for a long time, with the right pieces around him.

If they had CP3 in 06-06 instead of Bogut, and were looking for a big since the 05 draft, the only comparable options are Horford, Noah, Griffin and Oden - none of these guys have shown they will be better than Bogut, and Milwaukee have not been high enough to draft any of them anyway.

That said - CP3 may have made their team a lot better straight away, and who knows what could happen in free agency.

Reply #266346 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Bogut was the right pick. CP3 and D-Will would have been passing to no-one by Michael Redd or D-Mason for the past few seasons otherwise.

Timing of Jennings is right now for Bogut and that leaves Ridnour to be a decent role player for the team.

Biggest recent flopp in the draft was Detroit taking Darko Milicic #2 in 03.

Considering Melo has become arguably the "best" scorer in the league over the past couple of years, Detroit could have been rolling the past 3 years with a "potential" Billups/Gordon/Anthony lineup. Detroit could have been what Denver is now.

Reply #266348 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

once again, typically for top picks they pick for value, not for need. you look at Chicago with Rose. Memphis with Thabeet etc. so if it was to be re-done I'm fairly certain it would be CP3; also remember CP3 may be one fof all time best PG.

Reply #266411 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

LA Boy, Bogut won every major award that year. Some might say the Bucks did pick for value, and it was just convenient that he fitted their needs too.

Paul and D-Will have become better players since, but at the time Bogut's value was high

Reply #266414 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

sorry, I'm talking about re-pick

Reply #266422 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754