Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats CEO expects 12k crowds soon

"We definitely want to be the No. 1 sport in summer," he said. "Our demand is two or three times what it was a few years ago.
Perth, the NBL's equal most successful franchise alongside Adelaide and Melbourne Tigers with four championships, has drawn capacity crowds of around 4000 to The Jungle at Challenge Stadium this season.

Marvin tipped those numbers to triple when the Wildcats moved to their new base at Perth Arena within the next couple of years.

The Cats chief said it would be a boost that would help return the NBL to the glory days of the late 1980s-1990s, when basketball was one of the most prominent sports in Australia.

"Our numbers say we will get, without any extra marketing, close to 9000 on day one," Marvin said. "With the marketing, we expect to hit 12,000.

"I think we'll be able to sell it out in year one.

Full article: Perth Wildcats CEO tips rejuvinated NBL to take on A-League - and win

To Perth fans, what is it that will enable them to triple crowds? Better stadium location? More space to mix up ticket pricing options?

Topic #22227 | Report this topic

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

i thought we did alright Saturday night, considering we're bottom of the ladder, we got 6,991 to the game...

Reply #266643 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hopefully the double-header works out OK for both teams financially when they somehow split the proceeds. Not sure how that would work.

Reply #266645 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

There is a new stadium being built in the CBD.

Reply #266646 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

It was interesting to hear that they dropped the prices as well for last saturday's game. I wonder if they made more money for the night considering there were about 2000 more people there?

Reply #266647 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Heh.

I expect to win the lottery.

I expect it, it doesn't mean it'll happen though.

Reply #266648 | Report this post

herka  
Years ago

challenge while being a great venue is a mission to get to and from. While it appeals to familys , those looking to continue on after wards cant because its an ordeal to get anywhere !

Reply #266653 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

The new stadium in the CBD will enable many more people to get to games using the excellent rail network in place (or freeway by car).

As has been stated, Challenge is a poor location for a NBL game.

Only problem, the new stadium will still be full of Perth fans.

Reply #266657 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

A lot of empty seat for that crowd number. Maybe slightly padded??

Reply #266659 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

Who dropped their prices ???

Reply #266671 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Player 23, where did you get the dropped prices info from? Aside from an incorrect statement in the Advertiser stating that you could go to the lightning game only for the normal lightning price, the tickets were normal prices, and advertised as such.

Reply #266675 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Originally planned for Lightning tickets - to sit in a certain area and leave before the sixers game.
But, I dont think you'd be able to do that with 7000 seats sold. Not enough seats to be able to do/control it

Reply #266699 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I cant see how the Wildcats can expect to see that level of increase, except that, much like Adelaide, there isnt a whole lot else to do, so when the Cats are playing well and in town, they get good numbers.

A new (super modern) stadium is being built in the CBD, but im not sure if they are going to use that?

Nevertheless, the West is as parochial as Adelaide and with still a fair bit of money floating round the place from the mines, if they are winning i imagine they could see 8000+ but 12k would be a huge ask.

Reply #266700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were about 2000 free tickets given away so that could explain why there was about 2000 more people there Player23

Reply #266709 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

I love how there are so many experts on here, telling about the number of comps and how there were originally plans for cheap tickets. Who are you people? Where do you get your info? You crack me up! :)

Reply #266718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he should get off the crack

Reply #266719 | Report this post

Catsfan  
Years ago

Imagine 12 thousend screaming fanatical perth fans screaming at you. i would'nt wanna be targeted by that crowd

Reply #266723 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

12000 is probably a little over the top. yet again the glory days might be heading back saooner. I tend to think if you have a sydney and brisbane team, u might have 6-8000 people per game. You bring back Goorjan and u get people to games. You might not like him but he pulls crowds for his sometimes loutish behaviour.

6991 was a great total even though we can say, 1000 of that might have been Lightning supporters but this thing about dropping prices wasnt so. I had mate buy a ticket on the night and still cost him $30 to sit in North Gold. Mustnt have bought from the right window, selling tkts!!!!!!!

Reply #266726 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Hems - 'Originally planned' who am I - I'm the same person that was here before. I got my information from Adelaide 36ers Sales and marketing manager - Dean Parker article on here..
Lightning tickets to see Lightning game and leave before sixers game cost about $15.
But probably not enough seats staff to do that I'd guess, as people went for the Lightning game expecting to be able to but couldn't, and had to pay about $27 for a double header.
(It was also published in the paper re the Lightning game and the price to see it - about $15)

Reply #266737 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Camel 31 - I'm pretty sure the Fox didn't post an article on here stating that. Happy to be proven wrong if you can find a link saying otherwise.

Also, the price stated in the advertiser was a miscommunication - they advertised the normal lightning ticket price by mistake.

Reply #266744 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

No it's not on here. Must've been newsadelaidenow and or sixers web site, a coupla months ago talking 'bout the double header - Lightning fans could sit in a certain area and leave b4 sixers game.........
(but, as I say -Ya probably couldn't do that with 7000 there)
Anyways - Dean will know a bit about it.
Some went wanting to do that - but couldn't.

Reply #266748 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gotta be worth doing double header agen here.
wonder about Perth, then ?

Reply #266754 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Camel, wasn't the 6ers website either. May have been mistaken supposition on Adelaide now, but I know the 6ers were adamant from early on that it was the 6ers ticket price, or no ticket at all.

Definitely agree that it was a success crowd wise though, would be good to get a few more happening in the coming seasons - as long as the lightning game doesn't go to overtime. It would have caused quite the kerfuffle with the seats if it had.

Reply #266758 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754