mystro
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson announces his retirement

Tony Ronaldson is expected to announce his retirement today after training in a press conference @ the NZ Breakers Atlas Place training facility.
Props to the Bear for his 20 year career in the NBL and all the best for the future, won't be surprised if he doesn't try his hand at coaching.

Topic #22233 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Ronaldson deserves some accolades for sure. Great player over such a long time for a few teams. Will probably be best remembered for his days at the Magic in wining a couple of titles under Goorj.

With his retirement, I believe Anstey and Mackinnon are the last two survivors from the Magic days?

Reply #266729 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

As much as I have loathed The Bear for those 20 years he did make that shot against Crotia to put us in the Semis at the 2000 Olympics

Reply #266735 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I still pull out that vid once or twice a year SVD and savour that moment. I still get the tingles down my spine every time ;)

Reply #266736 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It was the 96 Olympics - he has been around for that long!

Reply #266738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bradshaw has been desperate to fill that spot for some time now.

Reply #266740 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

good on you Bear from us Wildcats Fans!

Reply #266742 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Congratulations to him. An epic career that many players would envy.

Reply #266746 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Official BA Announcement: http://linky.com.au/wc5uo

Ronaldson's career stretches back an incredible 20 years and 662 games (with the remainder of this season still to be played). Amongst the many records Ronaldson holds is the greatest number of games by any player in the NBL, a record he owned when passing the great Andrew Gaze total of 612 during last season. Ronaldson also figures highly on most top ten lists of statistics in the NBL, this season going past 10,000 career points at 15.4 per game.

Reply #266753 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

is there a video or youtube link we can see that shot vs croatia?

Reply #266756 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Breakers will have some very big shorts to fill now...

Reply #266757 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

was it 96 ... my bad!

Reply #266762 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Congratulations to Bear on a magnificent career. A genuine legend of the league, and the sport in this country.

Reply #266765 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Good Work Bear! I hated when we played against him but always respected his game...Congrats Tony

And lol DB5...

Reply #266768 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

DB5, Breakers will replace him with a shooting guard :)

Reply #266770 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

great career, geniune nice guy of the league,
and a SA boy as well i believe,

well done on such a long career, one that sits up there with the best of them, solid contributer through out his entire career and unlike many sportsman has gone out while hes still got game

Reply #266771 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

The Bear may have been born in SA but he classes himself as a Victorian. His father John Ronaldson was recruited from then VFL side Richmond as a ruckman for South Adelaide in the SANFL in 1971, he came over with a wonky knee and only played a few games and returned to Victoria, and playing in the suburban leagues. Tony was born during the short time the Ronaldson family was in Adelaide.

John Ronaldson was the unsung hero of the 1967 Richmond premiership side, kicking three goals, so perhaps the shot that The Bear took against Croatia was a family tradition.

Reply #266778 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

The Ronaldson legacy;

1. 3 and 1 V Croatia at the 96 Olympics

2. Has a patent on the trailing 3 from the top of the key

3. Big rear end

Reply #266804 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

thanks ushiro,

i new his dad played briefly over here but did not know the back history,

thanks for the informative post,

Reply #266805 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Great career & great bloke. He would have loved another title after his first few seasons under Goorg. At 6'9 & a non jumping athlete with a great perimeter game his body was able to hang in there for the long haul. At 37 i thought he'd play a few more years yet & his massive butt would keep setting those screens for the CJ's & Penneys of the world!

A loss for the league but well done the Bear!!

Reply #266822 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

Fare thee well Bear! Thanks for the memories... What a player and for how long... "The shot" against Croatia must rank as one of the highlights of Oz Bball (and Oz sports in general - considering how strong Croatia was at the time and how weak we were. But i might be biased)...

Reply #266936 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754