Camel 31
Years ago

Gordon Pickard saves Port

Gordon Pickard has offered Port (Power and Magpies)
The Golden Grove Tavern.
They can have it. Run it promote it and keep the proceeds.
I'd guess The Magpies would sell the other hotel that they own and be pretty well cashed up.
With income from the new hotel, given to them - should help both teams outta financial problem.

Topic #22308 | Report this topic

Number 44  
Years ago

Pickard will want something in return.

Reply #267688 | Report this post

Tipo  
Years ago

Doesn't he want an ownership stake in the prince of wales?

Reply #267709 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There's genuine interest in taking over the prince of wales hotel also.

Whether that's also Pickard or another investor, I don't know, but it'll be in tomorrows paper.

Reply #267712 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

We love you Gordo!!!

Reply #267760 | Report this post

noah  
Years ago

I absolutely loath both port teams, but i reckon it was a bloody disgrace that the other sanfl clubs wouldn't allow the merger to happen. If it wasn't for this Pickard bloke (who is he...???) port would of folded. And then who would everyone else be able to hate in the sanfl??

Reply #267769 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

I'm assuming it's the bloke who used to own Clipsal...

Reply #267774 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well done Gordon, even more reason for me to drink at the Grove now.

noah, it is good that fans like yourself can see past the petty bullshit, and still want Port in the league. I have been amazed to hear how many fans from other SANFL teams have expressed their disgust at the situation.
I rang a mate who goes for North to bag his teams attitude in all of this yesterday. As I was stirring him up, he tells me that he has just signed up for a Magpies membership. It is a great thing to see.

Now if we could sweep out the fat cats at the top who are unwisely spending the dollars, there may just be a solution that keeps the SANFL going.

Reply #267775 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Pickard was the origianl owner of Adelaide United too wasnt he?

Plus Clipsal

and a many other smaller team sponsiorships i seem to remember from way back in the 80s too.

This guy seems to be one of Adelaides finest.

Reply #267789 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Pickard is actually a good bloke. One of these fellows who is rich in lots of ways, not just his wallet.

Businessmen and women who look up to him have a fine mentor and role model.

Reply #267791 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Pickard was owner of Fairmont Homes and 'early' owner of Adelaide United.
I think some have him confused with Robert Gerard who owned Clipsal, then sold it to the frogs to assist with some tax 'debts'. He is now successfully running Gerard Corp and I very much doubt he would give a shit about Port as he is a staunch Crows and Liberal supporter.

Reply #267793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Robert Gerard is a major financial backer of the Liberal Party along with the big tobacco companies.

Reply #267800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems it's fallen through and it's ruccis fault, ha ha ha

Reply #267816 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

"Seems it's fallen through and it's ruccis fault, ha ha ha"

Hope not as a Tiger supporter Port is the team I love to hate. Need to keep them in the SANFL the bloody rouges.

Reply #267819 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I have absolutely no problem focusing that extra hate on Centrals :P

Reply #267820 | Report this post

vic del vecchio  
Years ago

There is no doubt as to Gordon Pickards generosity of spirit as well as superb business acumen. I recall many years ago at my invitation he attended a special general meeting to address an insolvency position at Adelaide United. He proposed a plan to build showhomes, he donating materials,whilst encouraging/shaming trademen/ members to contribute their labour.
All proceeds of sale went to save the club and alleviate the personal liability of a number of directors.

The club survived, cleansed iotself of incompetent leadership and prospered.

Gordon I applaud you again for giving another club in trouble the chance to survive. It will now be up to the members of Port Adelaide to get behind this project, clean up your internal inefficiencies and leadership and make sure that Gordons generous offer is not wasted. All members note: "If it is to be it is up to me"

Vic Del Vecchio

Reply #267876 | Report this post

Dean Keatley  
Years ago

I had the pleasure of meeting Gordon Pickard the other day at a business meeting. I must say that I liked his style & enjoyed his company - all the best for the future Gordon.

Regards,

Dean Keatley

Reply #308544 | Report this post

Dean Keatley  
Years ago

I had the pleasure of meeting Gordon Pickard the other day at a business meeting. I must say that I liked his style & enjoyed his company - all the best for the future Gordon.

Regards,

Dean Keatley

Reply #308545 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754